Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

46 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Dropping Kelly on Wednesday wouldn't be the worst idea.

I've mentioned this before too, and thought Arbroath was the ideal time to see what Oxborough had to offer. What's the worst that could happen? If he chucks one in, the likelihood is that Kelly quite probably would have too anyway on current form, and at the very least it would make him realise he's not undroppable as, like the rest, he has been pish all season.

Agree 100% with @Busta Nut also. An actual committed, non-shitebag midfielder (and centre half in a similar mould, please) is an absolute must by Tuesday night or we're fucking doomed.

3 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Agree 100% with @Busta Nut also. An actual committed, non-shitebag midfielder (and centre half in a similar mould, please) is an absolute must by Tuesday night or we're fucking doomed.

Definitely...it's a coin toss but that's priority one for me even above another CB.

A decent holding midfielder is more important than a centre back IMO. Both would be nice but a good holding midfielder might actually offer our current defence some protection which the utter shitebags we currently have in midfield simply don't.

1 hour ago, boozyBJ said:

Lose against st johnstone in midweek and we’re toast. 

Honestly think we're toast regardless.

Have thought all season that McInnes will get just enough to get Killie safe, United have enough good players to win the odd game and if County start to pick up points (and yesterday indicates that's perhaps more likely than it was a week ago) then I struggle to see where we escape.

I don't think much of Brophy but they looked fairly toothless in an attacking sense, so signed someone who'll shoot from fucking anywhere to resolve it. 

We look toothless in a battling sense, so signed a winger and a Japanese laddie which... I don't think will resolve it. Blaney looks more up for a scrap, but we've got nothing centrally.

53 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Honestly think we're toast regardless.

Have thought all season that McInnes will get just enough to get Killie safe, United have enough good players to win the odd game and if County start to pick up points (and yesterday indicates that's perhaps more likely than it was a week ago) then I struggle to see where we escape.

I don't think much of Brophy but they looked fairly toothless in an attacking sense, so signed someone who'll shoot from fucking anywhere to resolve it. 

We look toothless in a battling sense, so signed a winger and a Japanese laddie which... I don't think will resolve it. Blaney looks more up for a scrap, but we've got nothing centrally.

Aye. I'm pretty much the same.

Broadly I've thought that we're fixable (and still do) but that's based on an assumption that Hammell actually has an idea of what's wrong with us and what's needed to fix it or if he doesn't that he's open to delegating.

Being reductive about it, fix our defence enough to cut out the daft mistakes and we'd be fine.

Since Hammell, as yet, hasn't shown any sort of indication that's the case or that he's capable of doing that and everyone is just standing around shrugging their shoulders with no accountability or ownership I guess that'll be that.

38 years. It's been a good run.

Edited by capt_oats

I understand that you can lose any game, a mistake, a fluke, a bad decision and it can go against you.

But surely we could win a game out of the blue, in previous successful runs I’ve walked away thinking ‘how did we win that’.

Maybe Wednesday?  Maybe never?

2 hours ago, ropy said:

I understand that you can lose any game, a mistake, a fluke, a bad decision and it can go against you.

But surely we could win a game out of the blue, in previous successful runs I’ve walked away thinking ‘how did we win that’.

Maybe Wednesday?  Maybe never?

Been hoping for that for a while. You need to make your own luck to an extent. 

We are that passive that we just don’t put teams under any pressure to make mistakes. Even the Killie and County games we didn’t put any pressure on them at the end of the games. Same yesterday. 

Our crosses are over hit, we kick the ball out the park, we commit silly fouls.  We go out of games with a whimper.

In recent times there's been seasons where I thought we'd go down but have done something that's hauled us clear (signing Scott McDonald, essentially). This season I am absolutely convinced we're down. Another calamity of a goal to lose yesterday which is par for the course at this point. 

McGinn and Goss are so, so passive going out to shut the wide man down. Nobody follows the runner, then Slattery literally pulls himself out of the way of the cross. As per usual Lamie's having a sleep while Blaney's got no chance. And the less said about Liam Kelly the better. 

FWIW I don't think there's a chance we'll sack Hammell but this run should be sacking material. But the fact we're now 2 days away from the window slamming shut and have done nothing at all to sort out the left back situation or the colossal gap in front of the already horseshit defence is concerning. Unless we pull off a miracle in the transfer market we're 100% crashing straight into the Championship. 

9 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

Would be the Motherwell way to have our hand forced and *need* to buy a CB because someone bought one of our underperforms, and save our season.

It would be the Motherwell way to turn down a good cash offer, and then never play him again. (Not that never playing him ever again is necessarily a bad thing.)

What irked me most and from what I could tell from most of the support as well on Saturday was the complete lack of awareness by Motherwell players when a telling or attacking pass was available. The lack of any awareness of where each other are is truly frustrating.

Fans were screaming at players when someone was wide open but our players seemed to be completely unaware and just didn't notice that Mckinstry or someone was wide open. The amount of times we decided not to play a through ball or play it quickly was telling. We always seemed to want to slow our play down to a crawl and move it side to side until the inevitable diagonal that lost us possession.

As for Kelly his goal kicks now appear to be some pantomime performance where he wants to pass short to the defenders or go long but takes about 10 minutes to decide and the central defenders do not have a clue what he is going to do until he inevitably waves them up the park. I think that just increases my frustration that we are pedestrian as f**k and lack any urgency in anything we do. Only time I see it is in extra time when we suddenly start applying pressure and having shots which is way too late.

Edited by Well Well