Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, ROVERSRAITH1994 said:

Hi 

is there any one  on here who runs a supporters bus or travels on a supporters bus might be able to offer somewhere for a pre match drink before the game at Kirkcaldy h

Might be worthwhile contacting Sammy at Club 100 on their Facebook page. They're  running a couple of buses and they like a pint or two.

33 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I have absolutely nothing against the bold Baz but the current "Barry Maguire didn't get a chance at Motherwell" discourse on Twitter is fucking wild btw.

"One of the best young players at the club"...he's 25 in April.

Having played as many as 75 games for the club, just shy of 25, tells me he's had sufficient chance.

Having played as few as 75 games for the club, just shy of 25, tells me he's not been capitalised on his chance.

Both of those statements combined, to me, are as close to a perfect example of an academy player just not working out in the first team as you'll see. 

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

I like Barry as a squad player. Thought this year tho in his limited game time he looked like a red card in the making. Seems to have been overly physical at times but tbh with our current team of cowards it might have been needed.

My concern is more how light it is leaving us in midfield, especially defensively and physically. Only hope is that Hammell will have someone lined up in that DM/no6 role and isn’t grooming McGinn for that full time. That would be painful. 

Also did Max J not play there aswell for QOTS when on loan? 

On 25/01/2023 at 08:13, Swello said:

I think the biggest/most important thing to take from the AGM is that the model that has served us well recently - selling our home produced players effectively, having some on-field "success" and having 'Well society funds as a backstop - is running out of road. 

Some of this is likely to be because our production line of young players has skipped a generation (ie - the gap between the Turnbull-Campbell generation and the current 16 year olds which the club are very confident about) due to covid but maybe also a failure to replicate the environment that Crags had with his squad.

The main issues though are what was already apparent - english lower league market has seen a mental wage spike due to Brexit turning off the foreigners tap and so we can't get the standard of player we could have got in the past (and we are paying a lot more for what we're getting).

Secondly (and probably most importantly), we are being financially out-muscled in our own league in a way that we weren't in the past. Leaving the OF aside, there are a bunch of clubs that owners/benefactors are happy to underwrite large losses each year and it effectively leaves St Mirren and Us (and I assume Livi although they didn't come up) with no-one pumping in free money - or being there as an emergency backstop (and I would put St Johnstone and Killie in this bracket rather than the Aberdeen/Hibs/Utd/Hearts one).

Brexit isn't going away, people willing to fund  3, 4, 5 million quid losses annually are here in the medium term at least and so our risk is that we can no longer generate enough money to be the mid-table type team we've been in recent years.

Yeah pretty much, we run with a 'no operating losses' rule and with a turnover of 1m-1.25m per year it doesn't leave a lot of room for if things go wrong.  I think a lot of clubs are using the COVID loan as a fall back just to try soak up the COVID losses. I know St Mirren decided to just pump it all on signings though :D 

The one time we had a bit of money coming it, it went to paying off any debts the club had (about 700k). That was with Dykes leaving, we ended up spending the rest on the stadium to get it up to UEFA standards I think. From what I'd heard we also budget for 12th each season and anything beyond that is a bonus

I think one thing I sympathise with Maguire is that he came through around the same time as Turnbull and Campbell, thus expectations on a youth player coming through's ability was higher than usual from a fans perspective.

The change of position at senior level probably didn't help as he did his experience loan at Queen's I assume as a centre back so that may have stunted his development.

He works hard as we've saw from the pre-season tests etc, but if honestly if you're coming through at Motherwell and your 22-23, you should be starting every week or you won't make it at this level.  Pending how long is left on his Motherwell deal, it could be best for both parties this loan.

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

I like Barry Maguire until he gets an extended run then I like him a bit less.

This is kind of it.

He's pretty much the definition of a squad player for this level. I think it's probably unfair to say that he's proven that he's not Premiership level IMO. It's probably closer to the truth that he's proven himself to not be consistently at that level.

You can drop him in off the bench or cover injuries and he'll be absolutely fine. Put him in a midfield with the right mix and he'll probably hold his own but he's not someone to build your midfield around and right now he's not really the answer to whatever it is we're missing in the middle of the park.

If we're clearing decks a bit to allow for some movement then the move makes complete sense. 

I've maybe been a bit harsh in saying Maguire has no redeeming qualities but, at the same time, I don't think that necessarily makes him a bad player. 

Like others have said, I think he'll do well as a Championship player as that looks to be his level. He may well end up back in the Premiership at some point, either with Dundee or someone else, and after a stint in the Championship he may well show that he can make the step up to at least hold his own. 

As it is, he's almost 25 and has never really cemented a first team place with us. It's probably best for him that he leaves and tries to kick on elsewhere and it hopefully means we can now get a number 6 in which is a position we're crying out for. 

28 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I've maybe been a bit harsh in saying Maguire has no redeeming qualities but, at the same time, I don't think that necessarily makes him a bad player. 

Jack of all trades, master of none maybe? He's a big unit of a lad, can run like f**k and can be tidy in possession. The best he's looked was when he came in to replace Robbie Crawford because he could sometimes do something helpful. 

I'm no his biggest fan but hopefully this has cleared a space in our squad for someone to come in and boot f**k out every team in this league for the next 6 months. 

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I saw more pics of the Japanese dude outside Fir Park. Club are awfy quiet here.

Maybe waiting for the work permit to be confirmed before confirming signing. Maybe not. Just a thought…..

Just now, welldaft said:

Maybe waiting for the work permit to be confirmed before confirming signing. Maybe not. Just a thought…..

Aw they defo are. I'm just itching for them to mention it in someway

If there was a holding midfielder pictured outside FP and in Motherwell scarves I am sure we'd all be a bit more interested in that. However the Japanese dude is all we are getting word of for now, so I'll get interested in that as it happens