Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently just shy of £100k, with a 3yr deal as one of the highest earners we've got at the club on £100k+ a year. All in youre looking at him costing the club over half a million pound.

I imagine fans of most clubs would be furious with that tbh.

Aye to be clear that wasn't a ding on Saints it was more that (IMO) a player like Clark wouldn't have done anything to placate the folk who were wildly underwhelmed by signings like Paul McGinn, Blair Spittal or Josh Morris.

With a month of the window to go when Hammell got the job then Nicky Clark and a hugely regressed Christian Doidge seemed to be the sort of options that were available.

Even now, with the benefit of hindsight and having seen the way the season has panned out, if we're given the choice of paying a fee for Clark or signing an obviously broken Louis Moult on loan then a high percentage of Motherwell fans would still be cuing up Spandau Ballet.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Even now, with the benefit of hindsight and having seen the way the season has panned out, if we're given the choice of paying a fee for Clark or signing an obviously broken Louis Moult on loan then a high percentage of Motherwell fans would still be cuing up Spandau Ballet.

Aye. This is it, Doidge is just fundamentally broken which is a real shame, as I liked him a lot.

Clark... I dunno. I've never rated him at all, but he's undeniably done the business for Saints, so I suppose the trade off is them being marginally worse and us being marginally better across the shorter term if he'd ended up here, given the fine margins this season looks like having, it could be inspired.

That said, RG's numbers are... big. So longer term is the question.

6 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Aye. This is it, Doidge is just fundamentally broken which is a real shame, as I liked him a lot.

Clark... I dunno. I've never rated him at all, but he's undeniably done the business for Saints, so I suppose the trade off is them being marginally worse and us being marginally better across the shorter term if he'd ended up here, given the fine margins this season looks like having, it could be inspired.

That said, RG's numbers are... big. So longer term is the question.

Who's RG?

Just now, Neil86 said:

My bad, thought it was some striker we were after who had decent numbers compared to Nicky Clark.

:lol:

Nah, I'd imagine the numbers related to the fact that Saints apparently paid the guts of £100k to get him and it's suggested he's one of their higher earners.

1 hour ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

Any of you know if there's any truth in the rumour that this Friday's game is being moved to Rugby Park? An undersoil heating system problem?

Given the nick of the damage to the stands I suppose it's possible there's been an idea floated about reversing the fixture on Friday with the game scheduled for Rugby Park in February.

Fwiw there was no issue with the pitch on Friday.

8 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Not saying it would or wouldn't, BUT would another week off really do us much good? Players must be itching to get back. 

No doubt but the risk reward just seems skewed to me...lose and everyone will go mental with a further loss at Ibrox and tricky one at livi next any hope of a positive return from the break is gone by the new year.

All things considered I'd take another week off, can loosen the legs v Rangers and face Killie twice having strengthened the squad.

Hope the game goes ahead. These canx games could f**k up our season as well as costing a lot of money ! I myself will be seeking a refund for 3x tickets for the St Mirren game I bought for friends. 

We had two winnable home games to get us back on track. Of course we could lose one or both but this stop start season could backfire. 

This (Killie) game is cancelled and we have Rangers away which will no doubt add to our recent woeful record. 

Confident the game will go ahead. I saw the damage (via Twitter) and yes some was in parts of the stadium where fans would be, but others such as the South stand gym and under stands has little bearing on supporters. 

Anyone that hopes January will bring a few signings and we will be prime Argentina is being a little deluded. We might improve for sure but get the games on. We have had 6 weeks away now….

Edited by welldaft

11 hours ago, welldaft said:

Hope the game goes ahead. These canx games could f**k up our season as well as costing a lot of money ! I myself will be seeking a refund for 3x tickets for the St Mirren game I bought for friends. 

We had two winnable home games to get us back on track. Of course we could lose one or both but this stop start season could backfire. 

This (Killie) game is cancelled and we have Rangers away which will no doubt add to our recent woeful record. 

Confident the game will go ahead. I saw the damage (via Twitter) and yes some was in parts of the stadium where fans would be, but others such as the South stand gym and under stands has little bearing on supporters. 

Anyone that hopes January will bring a few signings and we will be prime Argentina is being a little deluded. We might improve for sure but get the games on. We have had 6 weeks away now….

Merry Christmas haha 

14 hours ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

Any of you know if there's any truth in the rumour that this Friday's game is being moved to Rugby Park? An undersoil heating system problem?

It's not the undersoil heating that's the problem. It's the many, many holes in the stadium that's called Saturday's game off. 

We can all get a bit misty-eyed about Fir Park - me more than anyone - but despite the club spending a lot of money doing it up in the summer (and literally millions on the pitch over the past decade to bring it to the top standard), it can't escape anyone's notice that it was our ground alone in the top flight that ended up with pipework that looked like swiss cheese. This is the sort of stuff we need to take into account when new stadium discussions come up and we don't fancy a move to a "lego stadium"

Hope the game makes it on Friday for lots of reasons...

13 minutes ago, Swello said:

We can all get a bit misty-eyed about Fir Park - me more than anyone - but despite the club spending a lot of money doing it up in the summer (and literally millions on the pitch over the past decade to bring it to the top standard), it can't escape anyone's notice that it was our ground alone in the top flight that ended up with pipework that looked like swiss cheese. This is the sort of stuff we need to take into account when new stadium discussions come up and we don't fancy a move to a "lego stadium"

Hope the game makes it on Friday for lots of reasons...

According to Flow we've spent over £2m on the stadium and pitch over the past couple of seasons.