Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, bennett said:

Nice gesture from Motherwell. 

Club Statement:

Motherwell are sad to announce the deaths of two fans and hospitalisation of another at its popular Meet, Eat and Heat Event.

A fan froze to death in -10 degree temperatures on the way to the event. Upon leaving, there was a black ice pensioner pileup with another death due to whiplash and a hip replacement required.

Our thoughts are prayers are with the families.

Ensuing Twitter fallout with Burrows being called a mass murderer.

So it is true that Moult is back down at Burton.

Waiting on an assessment on his injury situation. 

He is their player but it looks to me as if that is the fairytale return in tatters. 

It was a gamble before. Nothing has changed except we know it is an even bigger gamble now. Hopefully this will allow us to go after another forward player whose legs work. Love Moulty and who knows he may get fit one day and return whilst he can still do a job 🤞🙏

I cba going back to find it, but I'm sure someone in the pre-season had posted about the general 'meh' feeling of our signings. That McGinn, Spittal and Morris are not exactly names that set the heather alight and get folk excited after Alexanderball, and season ticket renewals were slipping priority. Signing Moult addressed that. It rejuvinated a lot of the support with rose-tinted specs and probably earned Spandau Ballet 0.2p on Spotify with large swathes of North Lanarkshire streaming Gold on deadline day/night. The cheer he got walking onto the pitch again got a lot of feel good factor for the club and for that alone he was probably worth a punt.
I was hopeful the full 90mins before the break was an indicator he was getting better but that now seems doubtful.

Good call on the calendar arrangement to put him in January, because if he's away back seeing Louis Moult on my kitchen wall in May when we're 10th due to goal difference would have been a heartbreaker.  He did reply positively to someone on Twitter wanting their top signed after the Killie game though, so who knows.

Penney in January too. Any chance some selfies with North Lanarkshire housewives on Monday will have pushed him into extending his contract?

15 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Have the club confirmed this yet?

Screenshot_20221217_191632_Instagram.jpg

Ha! I noticed that earlier.

Nah, the club haven't announced it. Sligo's manager has confirmed it and that's wee Rossi just went ahead on his socials but nothing official from the club.

Given the state of our squad I wonder how many deals we have ready to go as soon as the window opens. With the break being World Cup related rather than "winter" and coinciding with the window being open if feels like we should really have been trying to get things locked down as much as possible over the last month.

Edited by capt_oats

46 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Given the state of our squad I wonder how many deals we have ready to go as soon as the window opens. With the break being World Cup related rather than "winter" and coinciding with the window being open if feels like we should really have been trying to get things locked down as much as possible over the last month.

Fingers crossed.

In the unlikely event we play Killie on Friday, I'm in full black and white mode with nothing in between.

Fail to win: all aboard the relegation express.

Win: what were you worrying about, pant-wetter?

Which is ofc ridiculous for one game in December...but it really seems massive.

5 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Fingers crossed.

In the unlikely event we play Killie on Friday, I'm in full black and white mode with nothing in between.

Fail to win: all aboard the relegation express.

Win: what were you worrying about, pant-wetter?

Which is ofc ridiculous for one game in December...but it really seems massive.

I tend to agree, if the game somehow does go ahead it's got an absolute must win feeling about it, failure to win and there can be no doubt from anyone that we're in a relegation battle. It's just as well Killie and Ross County got beat today and Dundee Uniteds game was postponed because we could well have been sitting 11th with Dundee United possibly only 2 points behind us. I know it's a lot of ifs and buts but it just shows how close things are down the bottom of the league.

On 16/12/2022 at 22:04, AnderooMFC said:

I cba going back to find it, but I'm sure someone in the pre-season had posted about the general 'meh' feeling of our signings. That McGinn, Spittal and Morris are not exactly names that set the heather alight and get folk excited after Alexanderball, and season ticket renewals were slipping priority. Signing Moult addressed that. It rejuvinated a lot of the support with rose-tinted specs and probably earned Spandau Ballet 0.2p on Spotify with large swathes of North Lanarkshire streaming Gold on deadline day/night. The cheer he got walking onto the pitch again got a lot of feel good factor for the club and for that alone he was probably worth a punt.
I was hopeful the full 90mins before the break was an indicator he was getting better but that now seems doubtful.

Good call on the calendar arrangement to put him in January, because if he's away back seeing Louis Moult on my kitchen wall in May when we're 10th due to goal difference would have been a heartbreaker.  He did reply positively to someone on Twitter wanting their top signed after the Killie game though, so who knows.

Penney in January too. Any chance some selfies with North Lanarkshire housewives on Monday will have pushed him into extending his contract?

I think there's definitely an argument that, if nothing else, signing Moult went some way to getting a certain section of fans back onside after the way things went sideways with Alexander.

Is that enough to justify the signing? Possibly.

Sometimes it's just nice to give people what they want.

Not only did Hammell not really have much time it was/is a pretty shallow pool he'd have been recruiting from. Looking around the other squads in the league it's difficult to see a centre forward who was signed in our price range that I'd have advocated taking a punt on.

Regardless of how little Moult has played I imagine a fair number would have been absolutely fucking furious if we'd went out and chucked money to pay a fee for someone like Nicky Clark instead. Cards on the table, I'd almost certainly have been in that number.

As has been mentioned, this is now the test for Hammell as he's had a bit of time with the squad and has been in the job for a while. It's pretty much acknowledged that he was essentially flung into the job in the summer and circumstances presumably informed his signings.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see who our targets are.

Edited by capt_oats

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I imagine a fair number would have been absolutely fucking furious if we'd went out and chucked money to pay a fee for someone like Nicky Clark instead. Cards on the table, I'd almost certainly have been in that number.

Apparently just shy of £100k, with a 3yr deal as one of the highest earners we've got at the club on £100k+ a year. All in youre looking at him costing the club over half a million pound.

I imagine fans of most clubs would be furious with that tbh.

Edited by RandomGuy.

16 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

When did they announce that the Motherwell vs Kilmarnock game was moved to the Friday?

I heard about us asking for it vut for the life of me I can't see when it was officially confirmed.

November 11th it was confirmed via the official website.

15 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, given the glaring holes in the squad, you’d really hope we have deals lined up to get bodies in as early as possibly in January.

It’s a huge month for us with games against Livi, Hibs, County and St Mirren (as well as the cup game at Arbroath) that’ll go some way to defining what our season is/will be, so I really don’t think we can afford to wait until the end of the window to bring in reinforcements. Seems like Blaney is here already which is a good start but we’re a KVV injury away from having Shields as our only striker!

Our January business will decide whether we’re still a premiership club next season or not.