Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I see Nixon has Forest Green 'rivalling' us for a striker.

Possibly worth mentioning that yer man Stevie Grieve is now FGR's HoR after leaving St Johnstone.

I don't subscribe to Nixon's Patreon but I imagine the name will appear somewhere. He had us in for a striker a while back, Tyler Smith at Hull.

494489548_Screenshot2022-12-11at08_44_28.thumb.png.1ba9f270dec4a9a2893137b98ecf5ea1.png

Edited by capt_oats

To be fair he scored scored 25 plus goals at League One level last season.

I mean if we’d signed him in the summer, everyone would have been delighted and it would have looked like a bit of coup. However when you look at his track record outside the last couple of seasons at Morecambe, it does screams purple patch for huddy journeyman.

No wonder he was desperate to move in the summer. It looks like a Declan Gallagher type scenario where a player in his late 20’s was keen to cash in on the season of his life but has been forced to see out his contract instead. In the meantime his form has dropped off a cliff and his list of potential suitors has narrowed significantly. 

Guys agent was probably touting him for a move to Championship in the summer, 6 months later he’s choosing between Motherwell and Forest Green Rovers. 

41 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

To be fair he scored scored 25 plus goals at League One level last season.

I mean if we’d signed him in the summer, everyone would have been delighted and it would have looked like a bit of coup. However when you look at his track record outside the last couple of seasons at Morecambe, it does screams purple patch for huddy journeyman.

Basically this.

From what I can tell from the bits and pieces about him over the summer the feeling was that Morecambe were pricing him out a move. No one was willing to match their valuation so he handed in a transfer request and tried to force the move.

Seems he's pretty much downed tools this season as a result.

This exerpt from his wikipedia tells me he may be on the receiving end of the odd boo from certain parts of the east stand.

"he's a good size and he uses his physique very well. He knows how to use his frame and his strength... he's got an unbelievable strike on him [and] he's a good finisher... but he’s not going to run channels for you and things like that".[42]

33 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

"he's a good size and he uses his physique very well. He knows how to use his frame and his strength... he's got an unbelievable strike on him [and] he's a good finisher... but he’s not going to run channels for you and things like that".[42]

Copy and paste from Higdon's wiki I'm sure :)

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

This excerpt from his wikipedia tells me he may be on the receiving end of the odd boo from certain parts of the east stand.

I'm sceptical as to whether anything will come of this but I tend to be of the opinion that there's usually at least a crumb of truth with Nixon's stories, whether or not they actually happen is a different matter. Either way, it's no secret that we're in a position where we're looking for bodies so that crumb may well be that Stockton is one of many we're looking at.

What's interesting to me is whether or not this is an indication of the type of forward Hammell's looking for given the options he currently has and the fact he seems wedded to the 4231.

Ultimately he was parachuted into the job with a month before the deadline in the summer so the business he ended up doing was probably reflective of that. It'll be interesting to see what his targets look like now he's had his feet under the desk for a few months.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Ultimately he was parachuted into the job with a month before the deadline in the summer so the business he ended up doing was probably reflective of that. It'll be interesting to see what his targets look like now he's had his feet under the desk for a few months.

Aye. Agree. Punts were always going to be the outcome. Punts on fitness that we've ultimately shipped out at very little cost short or long term is the punt we took, rather than take a punt on a couple of guys seeking a two year deal who we're potentially lumbered with.

This is the acid test, so ideally signing guys with functioning legs would be a step in the right direction.

One wonders when the club will update us on the Moult situation 🤷‍♂️.

Maybe there is nothing to update but the fact he was not even listed in the squad for the Spurs game adds fuel to the fire that he may well be away back to Burton at some point. 

Also did I miss out on nature of Paul McGinn injury. Do we know how long he is due out ? 

21 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Higdon was shite, he did nothing but score goals!

Da?

18 hours ago, welldaft said:

One wonders when the club will update us on the Moult situation 🤷‍♂️.

Maybe there is nothing to update but the fact he was not even listed in the squad for the Spurs game adds fuel to the fire that he may well be away back to Burton at some point. 

Also did I miss out on nature of Paul McGinn injury. Do we know how long he is due out ? 

Moult is gone. He wasn't at the calendar signing and he's been down south for injury related stuff, if you believe the whispers.