Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I think we were leading 1 nil through a Townsley goal in the abandoned game but the game was a farce.

Aye, wild that they started that game...but that's Mike McCurry for ye. 

I seem to recall there was a good few attempts at the replay that failed due to various weather problems, think we were staring at having to play it on the day of the next round at one point and also vaguely recall something about Arbroath's team kit being nicked and them having to scramble about to get enough shirts to play the game in.

Changed days. 

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Now you've gone and reminded me of the Ayr Game.

giphy.gif

The worst memory of the Ayr game, for me, is that in those days of three subs in the Scottish Cup, they didn't have a sub goalie and their goalie required treatment, so for about 10 minutes, they played with ten men including a forward in goals and in that time, we failed to score.

They knocked us out of the league cup in 1998/99 as well, something of a cup bogey team at the time.

There's Blaney confirmed by a blue tick in Ireland. #bitored

h/t to @Casagolda for the original scoop.

On 17/11/2022 at 12:10, Casagolda said:

Just to chuck out another transfer rumour whilst it’s quiet , anyone else heard we’re meant to be after the big centre back from Sligo? 

The boy that melted the free kick in from 30 yards in the 2nd game. Was some chat at the game the other day, apparently he was meant to be coming over in January. 

Edited by capt_oats

Well someone had to step in and replace Marv.

So a left sided centre back, you’d imagine he’d be competition/cover for Lamie? It would seem like a lot to ask a guy from the LOI to step in straight away but then again given he turns 24 in January, he’s hardly one for the future either I suppose. 

We definitely needed another centre back, however I imagine he’s of not the profile most would have been hoping for. Although personally, I’m still of the opinion that a decent holding midfielder in front of them would improve our defence as much as replacing any of the individuals in the back 4 would. 

Edited by Casagolda

57 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Well someone had to step in and replace Marv.

So a left sided centre back, you’d imagine he’d be competition/cover for Lamie? It would seem like a lot to ask a guy from the LOI to step in straight away but then again given he turns 24 in January, he’s hardly one for the future either I suppose. 

We definitely needed another centre back, however I imagine he’s of not the profile most would have been hoping for. Although personally, I’m still of the opinion that a decent holding midfielder in front of them would improve our defence as much as replacing any of the individuals in the back 4 would. 

Other than *that* goal there's not a lot of recent footage of him on YouTube.

The only thing I found was lifted from his time at Doncaster but even from that he definitely looks like he'd be a fit as a longer term Lamie replacement.

Fucking loves a long diag.

Edited by capt_oats

Less shocked, IIRC the hold up with the announcement was supposedly agreeing a contingency for this sort of thing happening.

Surprised that we'd make a decision to cut the cord a month before the window opens? Kinda. Aye.

I mean we're already light on numbers as it is (which Moult has been contributing to).

That'd be us having to replace Aarons, Efford (if he's not back til the new year), Moult and potentially Penney and that's just replacing some injuries it's not even factoring in areas of the park that might just need improved. That feels like a lot of work for a January window .

I suppose our market opens up to players who'd be available on PCAs and might be open to moving in January on a nominal fee or their clubs would be happy to loan them out to get them off the wage bill.

To that point - here is a list of Scottish players whose contracts are up in 2023 and all the players who have 2023 expiries in the Premiership and Championship.

Edited by capt_oats

27 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Is anyone shocked by this?

He's on far too much money for too little action.

Moult v.1 was one of our biggest and most influential players of recent times. Louis v.2 is, sadly, finished as a footballer. 

For the dreamers at a time of transition it was a feelgood, fantasy signing, and for the club it helped esse the unrest after the Sligo debacle and the end of Alexander's tenure.

For the realists among us, it had disaster written all over it and this was always going to be the outcome.

I mean, even if we don't cut the cord with Moult this is the first team squad assuming we don't get to extend Penney's loan:

GK: Kelly, Oxborough, Fox, Connelly (4)
DF: O'Donnell, Lamie, Mugabi, Johansen, Blaney (5)
MF: Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Cornelius, Tierney, Goss (6)
FW: Van Veen, McKinstry, Moult, Morris, Shields (5)

Injured:  Carroll, McGinn, McGinley, Efford
Loan expiring: Penney

Fucking LOL.

That's 16 fit outfield players.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

GK: Kelly, Oxborough, Fox, Connelly 
DF: O'Donnell, Lamie, Mugabi, Johansen, Blaney 
MF: Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Cornelius, Tierney, Goss 
FW: Van Veen, McKinstry, Moult, Morris, Shields 

It's unconventional but I fancy us for a point.

10 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Bring back Max Johnston and try Stuart McCall's "only play right backs" strategy?

We might as well recall Robbie Mahon since he isn't being used at Dunfermline.

Fraser Kerr likes this. 

Of those who are out on loan Johnston's probably the only one who'd be in line for a recall I'd have thought. Especially since the media team have been doing a couple of bits of #content around him.

Here's who's out on loan and the level they've been playing at:

• Fox - already had his loan cancelled
  • Johnston - 9 league appearances (Championship), 1 Challenge Cup
  • Devine - 6 league appearances (League 1), 1 Challenge Cup
  • Wilson - 7 league appearances (League 2), 1 Challenge Cup
  • Dunachie - 7 league appearances (Lowland League), 2 Scottish Cup, 1 Challenge Cup
  • Hunter - 4 league appearances (Lowland League), 1 Challenge Cup
  • Mahon - 4 league appearances (League 1), 1 Challenge Cup
  • O'Donnell - 1 league appearance (League 2)
Edited by capt_oats