Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

30 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Can you let me know who those people are because whatever they're being prescribed sounds class.

I'm far from a Maguire fan but I do think he's slightly more likely to attempt to tackle an opposition player at some point than Slattery, Goss or Spittal, although I prefer those 3 purely as footballers.

6 hours ago, Al B said:

Firstly, I really enjoyed that yesterday. Slightly annoying to wait til we're 2 down before looking like we actually could have a go, but after we did there was a fair bit of decent play. If we're going to lose a match, I'd rather it came with the excitement of the last half hour than a whimper.

There were at least 4 or 5 occasions after he came on where Louis Moult had to (quite visibly) explain to KVV what he should be doing, much in the way that he would with a 17/18 year old coming into the side. It actually reminded me of the way Scott McDonald was with Lee Erwin. Except KVV is in his 30s and is seen by some (most likely by himself) as our best player.

He's absolutely useless and has none of the natural attributes of a #9. Constantly on his heels and reactive rather than pro-active. A natural striker will gamble on what might happen and act first in case it does. KVV waits to see what happens and then tries to react to it. Thats far too late. Ignores runs, shoots from areas where his success rate of even hitting the target is so low that it barely registers, and is so unpredictable that no team mate will ever be able to sucessfully link up with him with any kind of consistency or regularity that would allow it to be anywhere near useful.

He's capable of the odd flash of something impressive, but that's not what makes a good footballer. He has talent in there sonewhere and it pops out now and again, but has absolutely no clue what he's doing or how to play his position. He's exactly what you'd get if you took the best 5's player you'd ever seen, and put him in a real game.

No matter who we bring in, or who we try to pair him with/play off him, we won't improve overall up top until he isn't involved. Sure we'd miss out on the odd goal he scores but I'm fairly sure we'd add more overall from 2/3/4 other players.

I absolutely can't stand him...one of my least liked players we've ever had.

I read that initially and thought it was quite harsh/OTT, then I read it again and found myself nodding along.

The weak powder puff long range efforts were pathetic, and made even worse by the fact other players made runs and should’ve been played in!

I think there are a few harsh takes here on the bold KVV. Him and Moult were constantly communicating with each other and I felt that KVV thrived on having someone take the weight off his shoulders. At our level you can’t argue with 10 goals and the reason he is greedy is because he doesn’t trust the players around him. I mean would you pass to Shields or Tierney or take a shot yourself?

He needs better support. Hopefully if we can get Moult on the pitch a bit more after the World Cup . I also feel that McKinstry is starting to show a bit of form, he showed a great first touch hopefully he can start driving towards the box rather than laying it off inside. 

43 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

At our level you can’t argue with 10 goals .

If Liam Kelly took our penalties he'd be our top scorer.

I think using penalties to back up a strikers ability is up there with renewing a defenders contract for a goal they scored. But then we've done that twice.

44 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

the reason he is greedy is because he doesn’t trust the players around him. I mean would you pass to Shields or Tierney or take a shot

If I had any self awareness of the fact that my total shots to shots on target ratio was as embarrassing as it is, then I'd take the correct option, and so should he. Whether Shields or Tierney did the right thing after that is a different issue, but I'm not sure KVV continually making the wrong decisions because he doesn't trust his team mates to make the right decisions, is all that great a defence.

44 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Him and Moult were constantly communicating with each other.

Sadly we'll never get the chance to see it back, but I don't think that's what was happening. At one point Moult had to grab KVV's attention and literally demonstrate how to open your body up and roll a defender. KVV turned away, Moult shouted at him a 2nd time and showed him again.

34 minutes ago, Al B said:

If I had any self awareness of the fact that my total shots to shots on target ratio was as embarrassing as it is, then I'd take the correct option, and so should he. Whether Shields or Tierney did the right thing after that is a different issue, but I'm not sure KVV continually making the wrong decisions because he doesn't trust his team mates to make the right decisions, is all that great a defence.

I mean, fair enough you're not a fan but his shot conversion this season is roughly the same as Giakoumakis and his shot accuracy is better than Colak.

So...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

655846289_Screenshot2022-11-07at18_47_42.thumb.png.bb0629e725cf1ddf35d1652166266b17.png

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, fair enough you're not a fan but his shot conversion this season is roughly the same as Giokoumakis and his shot accuracy is better than Colak.

So...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

655846289_Screenshot2022-11-07at18_47_42.thumb.png.bb0629e725cf1ddf35d1652166266b17.png

Aye fair enough, I've over (under?)-egged his ratio stats, but in my defence an awful attempt from 30 yards that the keeper just catches, when there were better options on, gets counted in that table...and that's one of his signature moves.

But aye I just think he's awful so I'll shut up before I work myself into an unhealthy rage 🤣🤣.

People seem to be searching for one thing to blame for our (ok? With everything considered) start to the season. 

The reality is, it's a combo of:

- Alexander resigning/extending 4 first team centre halfs that aren't good enough leaving us overloaded kn that area

- The board hanging on to Alexander for too long stopping a re build.

- Hammell only having 20 ish days of a transfer window and inheriting a backroom team he didn't put together 

- A system which nearly works but doesn't quite. 

- Horrendous options up front due to previous manager and injuries. 

But still, we are 3 pts off 6th after a very very tough run, could have and should have got points in a load of those games, spanked a team 5 nil and have the joint 5th top scorer in the league. 

Is not all rosey but a decent transfer window and tweaking of tactics and we will be golden 

I won't post the link as I don't like The S*n, but just seen a Tweet of theirs linking a story saying Leeds are about to extend McKinstrays deal to fend off interest in him. Kind of flies in the face of recent articles and soundbites suggesting his time there was up. A potential spanner in the works for a permanent return should his season pan out as well as we're hoping.

39 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I won't post the link as I don't like The S*n, but just seen a Tweet of theirs linking a story saying Leeds are about to extend McKinstrays deal to fend off interest in him. Kind of flies in the face of recent articles and soundbites suggesting his time there was up. A potential spanner in the works for a permanent return should his season pan out as well as we're hoping.

Unrelated to McKinstry but also...

32 minutes ago, eliphas said:

People seem to be searching for one thing to blame for our (ok? With everything considered) start to the season. 

The reality is, it's a combo of:

- Alexander resigning/extending 4 first team centre halfs that aren't good enough leaving us overloaded kn that area

- The board hanging on to Alexander for too long stopping a re build.

- Hammell only having 20 ish days of a transfer window and inheriting a backroom team he didn't put together 

- A system which nearly works but doesn't quite. 

- Horrendous options up front due to previous manager and injuries. 

But still, we are 3 pts off 6th after a very very tough run, could have and should have got points in a load of those games, spanked a team 5 nil and have the joint 5th top scorer in the league. 

Is not all rosey but a decent transfer window and tweaking of tactics and we will be golden 

Ojala looked good on paper with a good pedigree, it was just he was both broken and slow, his record until he signed for us was testament and not adhered to. Sol is a big daft laddie who needs coached through a game and if he was pug ugly and called Shuggie he'd get heat to surpass Shields on here. Lamie got his move then it was pulled it seems mutually, he was worth retaining but for me as a backup/shore up. Mugabi is a lovely big fella but his use this season points to how much he is now valued.

In defence of the board, they knew he was done, there was probably hope due to his record he may get snapped up by someone else, we get compo and importantly don't pay anything out. If he was going to go it was going to be in the first few weeks after the season finished. After that the first managers start getting their P45's about from 6-10 games into a season. I think the club are very concerned about how they are perceived and want to avoid the reputation of other clubs/owners have, wouldn't say it attracted a higher quality of interest after Alexander went, maybe need to look at that.

Goalkeeping coach I agree but he walked almost immediately after. Alexander took his assistant and Hammy promoted his. Physio's I don't think make much difference. Sports Analysis stayed the same, its was only the one or two guys who worked at Salford who remained, don't think that would have upset the apple cart too much for Hammy. While targets would have been identified based on how a manager wants to set up, with all the data and stuff available it really shouldn't be hard to pivot to another player if Hammy is looking for certain attributes. I think the issue is we ended up competing when we left things too late.

I'd say the system when we're on song works well (Aberdeen away) but we are too soft and inconsistent to really make any headway. But as you point out, there's not a lot of oomph when we get to 70' and fancy a change to mix things up.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Unrelated to McKinstry but also...

Reading their forum, a few have said wee Al is their best signing in years. A fair bit of their interest may be seeing our academy as being an untapped resource and hoping to replicate Campbell's success with them.

2 hours ago, Al B said:

Aye fair enough, I've over (under?)-egged his ratio stats, but in my defence an awful attempt from 30 yards that the keeper just catches, when there were better options on, gets counted in that table...and that's one of his signature moves.

But aye I just think he's awful so I'll shut up before I work myself into an unhealthy rage 🤣🤣.

Don’t get me wrong he can be infuriating to watch at times but I do think he is trying too hard because of our poor standard at the top end of the pitch. That really was a sensational finish yesterday ( offside I know) and I don’t think there are many players in our league who could produce that. 

He’s far from perfect but KVV is way down the list of problems we have.

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

Goalkeeping coach I agree but he walked almost immediately after. Alexander took his assistant and Hammy promoted his. Physio's I don't think make much difference. Sports Analysis stayed the same, its was only the one or two guys who worked at Salford who remained, don't think that would have upset the apple cart too much for Hammy. While targets would have been identified based on how a manager wants to set up, with all the data and stuff available it really shouldn't be hard to pivot to another player if Hammy is looking for certain attributes. I think the issue is we ended up competing when we left things too late.

Aye, Alexander was emptied on 29th July, Dibble left 10th August.

If you look at the backroom staff he appointed Kerr to replace Lucketti who left along with GA. He's since appointed N. Alexander to replace Dibble.

In terms of the staff he's inherited I don't think he's really had his hands tied in that respect.

Davie Henderson has been here for fucking years same with Ross Clarkson and even more so Aldo.

Andy Boles' replacement was a hire from Ross County and had no prior connection to Alexander AFAIK.

Even the two performance analysis boys who'd been at Salford only had a fairly tenuous Alexander link. As you say, I'm not sure they make any difference when it comes to Hammell's staff.

The one thing I'd say is that prior to his being emptied Alexander had spoken a couple of times about wanting to add another body to the coaching staff.

The 2nd quote below says that he'd spoken to a couple of people:

The ML1 boss said: "I've had thoughts over the last few weeks about what we do with that role, now we know he (Lasley) is going.

"When you get closer to games, that takes your main focus. You have to plan ahead but there is nothing concrete in my head at the moment at what that new coach looks like."

Link - 22nd April

"Staff recruitment is harder than player recruitment.There's good people out there but we work so, so much together.

"We work every day morning until night. It's a really challenging career, coaching and managing. You need to have good people around you.

"We have spoken to a couple of people so we have ideas. I'm sure we will get the right people in but if that needs to take a bit of time, I'm happy to take it, rather than make a wrong decision.

"I'd rather it be the right person. They need to fit in with Motherwell too. That is important."

Link - 21st June

I'll not lie, without pretending I know what's going on day to day on the training park, I'd feel a lot better about the whole situation if we had an experienced coach supporting Hammell and Kerr.

Ideally someone who can drill a defence to within an inch of its life please.

Edited by capt_oats

58 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

We should get one of those set piece coaches, they're all the rage. For throw ins mainly.

They can get my coaching for free ....

Stop faffing with these floaty clipped balls and whip it in with real venom. If you're taking a direct free kick, imagine you're passing it to someone standing 20 yards behind the goalmouth, the apex of the arc is the top bin. Leave our fastest player on the halfway line at a corner, I don't care what position he plays other than goalkeeper.

My UEFA badge must be in the post after that.

7 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

They can get my coaching for free ....

Stop faffing with these floaty clipped balls and whip it in with real venom. If you're taking a direct free kick, imagine you're passing it to someone standing 20 yards behind the goalmouth, the apex of the arc is the top bin. Leave our fastest player on the halfway line at a corner, I don't care what position he plays other than goalkeeper.

My UEFA badge must be in the post after that.

Your real name isn't Jack Wilson, by any chance?

Screenshot_20221108_074234.jpg