Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Alexander teams did lose that game, and plenty of others too. We were shite today, but nostalgia for the guy that fucked the Sligo tie after months of horrible horrible football and left us with this squad is a bit much.

Hardly nostalgia 🤷‍♂️. It was the right time for him to go and I am not yearning for him to come back. 

But I do seem to remember plenty of games when we were winning narrowly and we saw it out. Yes he did pack the defence in order to do so. It was also not pretty but it was effective. So worth commenting on when we have lost yet another late goal. 

Alexander once put on a defender after we scored in the 119th minute and it was 1-1 60 seconds later.

So shit happens to everyone.

But I agree I don't think we'd have lost from 2-2 today or from 1-1 v St Johnstone for example. Just because GA's tenure ended in farce doesn't mean he never had any positives.

Acknowledging that isn't a 'wish you were here', it's just the realistic view that for all Hammellball might be a refreshing change, he also needs to so the nitty gritty of picking up points occasionally...

We're a team absolutely crying out for...basically a bunch of the players that left.

O'Hara barrelling around midfield, and Roberts with a bit of pace and aerial ability out wide, Woolery with some direct running, would improve us immeasurably right now. Looking down the bench every week at the moment and it's basically "chuck moult on I guess" because there's f**k all else. Desperation point for just more bodies and something different than what we have.

I can't think of a slower motherwell side. I think lamie is our fastest player. I haven't seen Kelly run.

I thought shields was fast, but I think what it is, is that he looks he should be fast. His muscles are like racing stripes.

I admire spittal. To have the number of goals and assists that he has when he's that slow is some achievement. When I played, all I had was pace and being left footed. I've never been able to figure out how to play now that I'm excruciatingly slow. I think he loses players and finds space because they underestimate his slowness and run right by him. I'm going to try being slower.

I think Slattery has overcompensated and lost some of his c**tishness.

Decisions aside, I hate var so much. Absolutely ruined some great moments in the game, and we had about 20 mins of hold ups to confirm the ref was right. It's not going to get better either.

34 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

We're a team absolutely crying out for...basically a bunch of the players that left.

O'Hara barrelling around midfield, and Roberts with a bit of pace and aerial ability out wide, Woolery with some direct running, would improve us immeasurably right now. Looking down the bench every week at the moment and it's basically "chuck moult on I guess" because there's f**k all else. Desperation point for just more bodies and something different than what we have.

Fully agree that a combative midfielder and a powerful, direct player would improve us considerably. I'd ideally add to that a commanding centre half, capable of marshalling the back line and bollocking the midfield to track runners. On their game our midfield are competent enough going forward but teams play through us virtually unchallenged too easily and too often. The centre half pairing have a calamity in them every single week. We really need someone to shore things up and give us a reliable base to build from. f**k knows how we do all that in a January window though. 

It was obvious to everyone that we'd become slower over the summer and the loss of Woolery and Roberts meant we didn't have the option to introduce pace into the team to give the opposition something to think about. To be fair to Hammell he publicly mentioned a lack of pace, brought in Aarons and somehow found a player in Joe. Unfortunately they're both now broken and we're back to being completely one-paced although probably moving the ball quicker than we did under Alexander.

I might be going soft, various things to be disappointed about but I enjoyed my day out.

Apologies to anyone behind me in the queue to get in. The steward asked me to empty my pockets - he was left holding a ted baker bag in which I had been carrying extra clothing layers, my DAB radio, 2 face masks that have been in my jacket since Covid, my phone, my wallet, a handkerchief, my door key, a handful of loose change, my GTN spray in case of heart issues, a half full bottle of hand gel, my ticket, a leaflet about McCrae’s Battalion and I draped round his neck the cable for my iPhone earphones.  He managed to balance them all then said it was ok and I put them all back after first stopping to blow my nose.

Given myself a few hours before I had a full cranial detachment. It is very, very fucking annoying how soft we are. Guaranteed to ship at least one shit goal every week. 

Sol is a beautiful, beautiful man however, unfortunately, he's rubbish at football. He can't defend and is ponderous in possession. Bring back Bevis. But preferably sign somebody new in January. 

Our midfield still has a big 6 shaped hole in it. Goss & Slattery are grand but we need someone to throw some hammers in front of the back four. I actually enjoyed us going to a 3-5-2 today. Penney's magic on the ball, Spittal is more effective going forward in it and it means we don't need to play Connor fucking Shields. 

Moult even if he's not fit changed the game big time. Without him coming on there's no chance we come back. 

Anyway. I'll not be there Wednesday. I'm off to see these lads:

14 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Given myself a few hours before I had a full cranial detachment. It is very, very fucking annoying how soft we are. Guaranteed to ship at least one shit goal every week. 

Sol is a beautiful, beautiful man however, unfortunately, he's rubbish at football. He can't defend and is ponderous in possession. Bring back Bevis. But preferably sign somebody new in January. 

Ask him to head the ball and he will do so all week. Well if it is coming straight at him.

For the 1st goal Halliday gets to the ball and he is between both Lamie and Sol. So a midfielder gets there before two guys whose job it is to defend these crosses. Every fkin game we will concede from a cross ball. Rangers had 51 crosses into the St Johnstone box today. Admittedly St Johnstone got the breaks but with those stats Rangers would have scored double figures against us. 

As for the winning goal. Every player now knows to keep your hands down when the opposing player is aiming a cross at or near you. Sol thinks this is the best time to do an Orangutan impression. It is so poor and infuriating. Work so hard to get back into the game and that is how we lose it. I don’t think anyone was that surprised least of all Sol. He was almost resigned to what he had done. 

He is hard not to like but that is being sorely tested today. 

Think you've got a decent side there given your budget and resources. Several very decent players at our level and really should be competing for 5th/6th this season. Will definitely have some good results throughout the season. Play pretty open so defensively more difficult to get positive outcomes against the better teams but no reason why you can't be showing consistency against most of the league. 

20 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Think you've got a decent side there given your budget and resources. Several very decent players at our level and really should be competing for 5th/6th this season. Will definitely have some good results throughout the season. Play pretty open so defensively more difficult to get positive outcomes against the better teams but no reason why you can't be showing consistency against most of the league. 

Meh, when you repeatedly let opposition players move from the middle third to the final third unchallenged, skipping by 3 to 4 of our players on the way then you start to get annoyed. Completely mixed bag this season, absolutely no consistency. Snatched a win against the odds in Paisley, Destroyed Aberdeen at Pittodrie, Rightfully beaten at Rugby Park, couldn't put a rudderless Dundee United to the sword at home, defeated 3-0 by you guys in the most un 3-0 game you'll ever see.

Don't know if you drop in here often but we were seemingly hampered by lack of board confidence in Alexander. That resulted in not releasing all funds and missing out on the better options in the summer window, settling for familiar faces on loans. Yet again after a "successful" season financially we didn't capitalise in the transfer market with the increased revenue. Pace was lacking but Penney has some, Efford did, but few on here expected much of him until 5 games ago.

Who's knows if Boyce hadn't got injured if you would have shown interest in Snodgrass. Maybe he would have make things better for us.

We can only hope anything left over from the summer is in the warchest for January, we may need it.

Regardless I think most of us are just scunnered that we gain a man advantage yet again for the majority of the match and turn to shit. Said in the match thread we had Hearts on the ropes until our second then took the foot off the gas rather than continuing it. They scored and we pin them back again. We need to learn to play like that when we're drawing or have the lead.

We're too soft and not ruthless at the moment.

6 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Also, see on Hallidays goal, am I being unfair that Kelly bollocking the ten in front of him is all well and good but it was a shot across his body he should've saved?

Kelly isnae very good.