Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

22 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Don't worry, based on this thread's oft-expressed "law of averages" theory, that third year MUST be the one where we switch to 3-5-2 and Shields has banged in 20 goals by Xmas.

If he's to be the next player to experience a 'Fir Park Redemption Arc™️' then roofing a worldy at Tynecastle tomorrow à la Sherwin would be a fucking great time to start it.

Of course, he'd then have to go on and prove to actually be a bit of a baller, unlike the  bold Seedorf who doesn't appear to have kicked one since we showed him the door. I'm not getting my hopes up.

3 hours ago, ropy said:

It sounds like McKinstry’s time at Leeds is up.  I hope he pushes on and gets offered a contract.  If he breaks through we could get a second fee for him.

Aye, his interview yesterday made it pretty clear he won’t be going back there.

Wonder if it’s purely a footballing decision or if he wants to get back closer to home? He was on the bench a good few times for the Leeds first team last season at only 19, but if I remember right there was some chat he’d had a bit of a tough time personally down there? 
Would love it if he became a big player for us over the course of the season and signs back permanently. 

Edited by dezz

1 hour ago, dezz said:

if I remember right there was some chat he’d had a bit of a tough time personally down there? 

Canny mind where I read or was told this, and I might be talking shite but I’m sure the distance from family was an issue for him even before making the move. I think his dad might have moved down with him for a wee while. 

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Aye, his interview yesterday made it pretty clear he won’t be going back there.

Wonder if it’s purely a footballing decision or if he wants to get back closer to home? He was on the bench a good few times for the Leeds first team last season at only 19, but if I remember right there was some chat he’d had a bit of a tough time personally down there? 
Would love it if he became a big player for us over the course of the season and signs back permanently. 

Glad to see my itk post about his homesickness at the start of the season ( get yer kids along to Krazy Kongo soft play at M&D's for some more behind the scenes scoops) is coming to fruition , just need to get the 10 year contract thrashed out now.  

11 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

My wife was a bit perplexed at me getting more excited than a middle-aged man should be at the sight of big Sol in Tesco Maryhill this afternoon. It was either him or another very good-looking big beardy man - looked a bit out of place in Tesco.

I can corroborate this with seeing him on Byres Road a few months ago and getting similarly flustered. 

12 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

My wife was a bit perplexed at me getting more excited than a middle-aged man should be at the sight of big Sol in Tesco Maryhill this afternoon. It was either him or another very good-looking big beardy man - looked a bit out of place in Tesco.

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I can corroborate this with seeing him on Byres Road a few months ago and getting similarly flustered. 

It was clearly an easy decision on who to model the clubs tartan range.

Slanj-Site_790x500_acf_cropped.jpg

Another game lost because we have no ability to stop opposition players running with the ball. I'd rather lose the point trying to chase for a win, but that was a cheap one to concede.

Moult looked half decent, and Van Veen was more effective when he came on. Shame the former can't play 90 mins.

I know we're down to the bare bones personnel wise, but f**k me that was dire.

The game had a bit of everything and was probably quite entertaining for the neutral, whereas I spent almost the entire 90mins in a perma-rage with that display, considering having the man advantage for so long. Some of the decision making and slackness was dire. Play anything like that on Wednesday and Celtic will have a fucking field day.

We can have no complaints coming away empty handed based on our performance, but refereeing incompetence didn't help. If Gordon rightfully walks for a second yellow, I'm betting his replacement doesn't get close to that Goss effort. A superb save which he shouldn't have been on the park to make, although the red card they did get was never one imo. Ref and var were a shambles but unfortunately it's here to stay and I don't see how they improve it. 

Expecting the square root of heehaw from Wednesdays game so next weekend at McDiarmid looks massive in deciding if we go into the break alongside the mid table group, or if we're down with the couple at the bottom. I'm fearing it will be the latter. Said from the start it will be a squeaky bum season and it definitely seems to be coming to pass.

I got a ticking off from the wife when I let out an expletive laden rant when I checked and saw the score was 3-2 after being elated when we got back to 2-2. The dog was not best pleased either. 

Times like these I actually dislike being a Motherwell fan. There are not too many upsides but plenty of downsides. I actually think we have a decent starting 11. For the most part they are decent footballers. Shields apart.

The problem is that you need more than that. You need heart and you need an edge a mental and physical toughness. Teams like Livi and St Johnstone have that. Not got better players than us but would either team have lost 3-2 in 89 minute to 10 men. No way. Would an Alexander team have lost that game. I don’t think so. 

I will check for the Celtic score and that will be all. I was thinking of going to Perth next week as a long time with the World Cup and all that. But todays result has me thinking I would be better off saving my money 🤷‍♂️😡