Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

One wonders whether it is a good time to be playing Rangerz next [emoji2369][emoji15].
200.gif
Surely we know the script by now after Rangers or Celtic get pumped in Europe?

They'll take it out on a wee Scottish team the following weekend and their daft fans can go back to believing they're the best team in the world again.

On 12/10/2022 at 15:49, Phillips455 said:

Nearly 20 years now since we ast beat Rangers in the league (26th December 2002)

My dad had money on that game and we got a new TV in the Boxing Day sales lol.

I don't bet, but I would definitely be steering clear of money on us this Sunday

4 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
On 12/10/2022 at 17:16, CoF said:
Bevis surely counts as 3 players in a game like this. 
5E98B62D-555B-4955-AE21-45DBEC3F0BB2.thumb.jpeg.143b0a0e51fe0ec79cd8c7fed87b5fdf.jpeg

Who is our player in the middle of this pic? I thought it was Tierney at first glance but seeing as he looks about twice the size of anyone else, it obviously can't be.

Looks like Logan Dunachie? Although he’s been loaned to East Kilbride so dunno. 

What’s the general thinking about these next three games in a week? I’ve talked myself into the view that there’s no chance we lose all three but I’m not sure which I’d rather win. We all know how long it’s been for a win over Rangers and it would obviously be hilarious if we beat them on Sunday after the other night, Celtic is the League Cup and I’d say we’d have an excellent chance of winning it if we get through this round (based on nothing in particular) and beating Aberdeen is always funny because they’ve been our bitches for so long now. 

On balance it’s probably the Celtic game but definitely wouldn’t want to pick up zero points from the two league games.  

Edited by Swami

For Sunday, I’ve convinced myself that if we keep a wide left player high up the pitch he will be unmarked as Tavernier will bomb forward.  If we can play through the left any time we clear our box then he could cause havoc.

3 hours ago, Swami said:

What’s the general thinking about these next three games in a week? I’ve talked myself into the view that there’s no chance we lose all three but I’m not sure which I’d rather win. We all know how long it’s been for a win over Rangers and it would obviously be hilarious if we beat them on Sunday after the other night, Celtic is the League Cup and I’d say we’d have an excellent chance of winning it if we get through this round (based on nothing in particular) and beating Aberdeen is always funny because they’ve been our bitches for so long now. 

On balance it’s probably the Celtic game but definitely wouldn’t want to pick up zero points from the two league games.  

If I had to pick 1 game to win of the 3 it's the Celtic cup game. We'd been in the semifinal and would have a great chance at winning it.

I think we gain most by winning in the cup but if we win on Sunday I will forgive a midweek stumble.

We have reached ‘par’ in the cup, win and we have a semi to talk about, and a successful cup run if we hadn’t got to this round it would have been a disappointment. Lose at this stage and we just move on.

Nice to get the 20 year duck off our back but the cups are how non-OF teams find success in Scotland. Sundays opponents took the piss at FP on both visits last season, but we surprisingly contributed to their eventual capitulation by dropping 4 of an "expected" 6 points at their gaff.

Don't really but into the tradeoff celestial balance ying of a win versus X means the yang of a loss versus Y stuff. The gulf that exists in our game now I just would settle for showing up and giving a good account plus giving them a fright more often than not, cricket scores are never easy to swallow.

Since 91 we've seen many of the other diddies win multiple cups to our heehaw. Well beaten in 3 of the finals, shite refereeing in another, rarely turned up and not helped by the OF never having the off day that you need.

I was totally up for league placings and European qualification but our own humbling performances plus those of our richer peers shows what a rid neck it is getting by qualifying even commensurate leagues are producing more competitive teams. The only decent result so far this season by any Scottish team is The Currants vs PSV. 22ish games in total (hearts 2-1 in Zurich maybe if you're being generous) the rest is pretty much a shitshow or below par performances. After this summer's debacle, the allure is lost. Sorry if you aspire to be clad in C&A in a continental cobbled square cafe.

Now for me, a top six only guarantees 100% league safety and a 4th OF visit and the money it brings which still is a bitter pill to swallow, Flao will be more pragmatic.

It's all about the cups till the arse cheeks bugger off elsewhere and our league has a semblance of competitiveness.

15 hours ago, capt_oats said:

#YoungMotherwell

A decent, if slightly and understandably, biased account on the Arabs website. Interesting that they still refer to themselves and their east coast "neighbours" Aberdeen, as the New Firm. Still living in the past I see.  From our POV a sound win and more importantly, an impressive performance.

Positive Covid test ruling me out of tomorrows game (don’t go to London), meaning I have failed to get to a home game against the Ibrox lot since Dec 2019.  In that time we have managed a 1-1 draw at best.  That wouldn’t be a bad result tomorrow.

Edited by ropy