Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

49 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

in real time from behind the goal we couldn't believe it hadn't gone in. 

It would have looked especially awful behind the goal as there's 7.5 yards of open goal absolutely gaping
Even from the tv angle at the time it looked pretty bad, but I think on reflection it was approximately 66.94% good goalkeeping and 33.06% poor finishing.

Approximately.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

Bad miss. But fair fucks for being in that position. He gets into those types of positions much more than SOD does. 

I'm not sure that's entirely fair given the only time we've seen SOD play RB under Hammell was when he was subbed on for McGinn against St Mirren in Hammell's first game in charge.

Every other game he's been played out of position at LB.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:
6 hours ago, capt_oats said:
GIF'd it so [mention=45087]YassinMoutaouakil[/mention] doesn't have to watch the highlights back.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

My arms may well be among those being thrown up in premature celebration in the view from behind the goal. I think everyone just assumed it had to go in.  

It is also the fact it came off the inside of the post straight back into Gordon’s hands. I mean Kev was standing there a few yards out if it had come straight back off the post. As I said there was some weird voodoo shit keeping that ball out of the net on Sunday.

Edited by welldaft

12 hours ago, Dosser1886 said:

Penney looked great when pushed further up the park, his crossing and shooting is excellent, bit suspect at defending though which is a probelm when you are meant to be a left back.

Aye, my view too. Few would argue that he's not the best left back at the club, and he's an upgrade on Jake.  Very impressive going forward but not so much when defending. At the Jammie's first goal he looked totally lost and not sure what he was doing.

9 hours ago, Dosser2014 said:

Aye, my view too. Few would argue that he's not the best left back at the club, and he's an upgrade on Jake.  Very impressive going forward but not so much when defending. At the Jammie's first goal he looked totally lost and not sure what he was doing.

That's full backs for you these days though eh, the best full backs in the world are better attackers than they are defenders. @TRENTALEXANDERARNOLD

On 19/09/2022 at 12:45, Busta Nut said:

I'd just like to say, Louis Moult is done. He runs like me, feart in case his legs snap.

Whats your reason for that? Yes, we all know of his injury record and that his signing was like a gambler's optimstic roll of the dice, but did you see something  in his 25 minute stint on Sunday that should give us all sleepless nights? Has our management taken this on board? Is he fully fit yet? Maybe more questions than answers. I wasn't in the best location to observe, at close hand, his contribution.  

Just interested in your thought process here.

4 hours ago, Neil86 said:

That's full backs for you these days though eh, the best full backs in the world are better attackers than they are defenders. @TRENTALEXANDERARNOLD

One of the most interesting things about what we've seen in the early stages from Penney is what Hammell's asking him to do on the ball. He's mobile and dynamic - he had more passes (63) than anyone else on the park on Saturday and the 2nd highest number of touches (85) behind Goss (89) - shout out the Sean Goss redemption arc:

1683528622_ScreenShot2022-09-21at13_14_32.thumb.png.b97ecc1c875ab4ebe13ae432d2823471.png

893413077_ScreenShot2022-09-21at13_18_27.thumb.png.b997a72a32d7834a447503a8454fd28c.png

1456722144_ScreenShot2022-09-21at13_24_53.thumb.png.347b3459b60226b7de321c9d70a5b5f5.png

This isn't a sideways dig at the bold Toby but even if he was fit there's absolutely no chance that he's a fit for what Hammell seems to want from his fullbacks.

I think it may have been @crazylegsjoe_mfc who mentioned it a while back but it felt like Alexander wanted his full backs to be narrow centre backs which is probably why Mugabi and McGinley were better fits than SOD and Carroll who were getting instructions that were counter-intuitive to their natural game.

Hammell's approach is a complete flip of that.

Incidentally it's worth taking a look at our average positions from Saturday with Maguire closer to Sol and Goss the more advanced of the two:

1652641128_ScreenShot2022-09-21at13_28_26.thumb.png.760e6d1034f3151169f3be2f20628d4c.png

Edited by capt_oats

Just following on from that logic; given that McGinn has been less advanced in the last couple of games, you'd presume through design, then if we were in essence to flip that, with O'Donnell being the most further forward fullback on the right, could Toby tuck in on the left?

Not to lean on too heavily from the heatmap patter, McGinley's on average before joining us looks pretty similar McGinn's do now.

I just hope that out of the month of October we get a few things done:

• Try not to lose to the old firm.
  • Win against Ross County, Aberdeen and Dundee United.
  • Get as much ou5 of the hibs game as possible.
  • Maybe get through to the league cup semi's?

That seems to be a lot but we really should be winning against County and Utd (we also seem to have Aberdeens number). Hibs I'm a bit weary about and the less said about the old firm, the better.

The cup game is a once off and anything could happen.

2 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

I just hope that out of the month of October we get a few things done:

• Try not to lose to the old firm.
  • Win against Ross County, Aberdeen and Dundee United.
  • Get as much ou5 of the hibs game as possible.
  • Maybe get through to the league cup semi's?

That seems to be a lot but we really should be winning against County and Utd (we also seem to have Aberdeens number). Hibs I'm a bit weary about and the less said about the old firm, the better.

The cup game is a once off and anything could happen.

Do bottle and sell your optimism? If so sign me up.

Lamie was doing so well on the arc too till his cushioned layoff for Shankland.

Based on the success St Mirren had vs Celtic anyone think we may adapt to a back 5 vs the OF. Certainly have the personnel to do it and the direction many of us assumed pre-season.

Celtic were chronic but still had 80% possession but I doubt they'll show up like that to many other domestic games this season.

34 minutes ago, CoF said:

I thought he got stuck in fine. A few times with the ball bobbling around the box he was in battling with about three hearts defenders and looked pretty fearless. 

Yeah hopefully I am wrong but he looked like he knew a wrong turn would end him.