Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Neil86 said:

Snodgrass set to sign for hearts.

Given how desperate Hearts for players, and good ones at that, they will be offering FAR more than we ever could, plus the lure of European football, no brainer for him really.

I hope he absolutely rinses them for cash.

I'd made my peace with him not signing but also...

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Report up on the site about the reserves' game (4-0 win)

Linky

LM came on at 71'

Interesting that Cornelius, Maguire, SOD and Mugabi all played 90’, but Aarons and McKinstry just 45’. 2 + 2 = the latter may be more likely to feature at the weekend? 

I enjoyed the game, I thought it actually got better in the second half when more of the younger guys came on. Specifically the young right back had a tough time of it in the first half but looked much more confident (and scored) when his pals had come on.

Moult looked a bit below the standard he was when he left, I saw a bit of tape,  not sure if it was keeping his socks up or if his knees were unravelling.

He had a run from half way, one on one, but he hit it directly off the advancing keeper.  However it was closer than the daisy cutter efforts we have seen from others in recent times.

Bevis ran the length of the park, through the middle, dodging all challenges and would have scored the goal of this or any other season but he didn’t get his shot away.

10 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Seeing as we struggle to post highlights of the first team's games, I'm not holding out much hope that we'll see highlights of this game.

The highlights of the first team games are on the SPFL channel. I took it to be a rights/broadcast thing rather than us "struggling" to post them.

Incidentally I went along to the game today and it was quite nice to see Robbie Mahon doing hings. His dummy for Deano's goal showed a smashing bit of awareness it's the next goal up after this one where he's involved in the build up.

Edited by capt_oats

The highlights of the first team games are on the SPFL channel. I took it to be a rights/broadcast thing rather than us "struggling" to post them.
Incidentally I went along to the game today and it was quite nice to see Robbie Mahon doing hings. His dummy for Deano's goal showed a smashing bit of awareness it's the next goal up after this one where he's involved in the build up.
I normally just watch the highlights on Sportscene but was hoping the club would show something from the cup game last week. It may well be done to rights but it was a very short clip with only the goals and penalty incidents being shown.

45 minutes ago, Dosser2014 said:

Was there much of a crowd at the Citadel today?

Maybe around 150ish? I couldn't really see how many were down the front.

Most of the first team were there, a few of the other Reserves eg: O'Donnell, Tambwe, Hammell obvs. James McPake, pretty sure I clocked Brian Rice as well (which would make sense as he's got Devine on loan).

Edited by capt_oats

6 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Famous last words but I'm absolutely fine on us 'missing out' on Snodgrass.

All because of the atmosphere at Tynecastle. Which is fair enough. Of course nothing to do with wages or signing on bonuses. 

Would have liked him to sign. But based on how good I thought he may b as opposed to how good he turn out to be.

Either way hope we take the 3 points in a couple of weeks. 

I'm curious as to whether that boat we were gently easing out for Snodgrass was for him and only him or if it was reallocated to get Moult in the building.

Similarly were we looking at Snodgrass because it was *him* and he was available or is the feeling that we actually need to add someone for that role? As to me neither Moult or Aarons are similar players.

To go back to Hammell's press conference on Friday he mentioned that "we've still got some options we can explore" and when asked about whether we were looking at the free agent market his reply was "potentially, yeah".

So, with that, I assume we have someone diligently working their way through the Transfermarkt list: 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/vertragslosespieler

Edited by capt_oats

I’m not going to go all “didn’t want him anyway” now he’s signed with someone else, he would definitely have made a difference to our team, but signing him would clearly have been a short term measure, albeit one I’m sure we’d have jumped at after watching Josh Morris against Sligo.

At least with bringing in Aarons and McKinstry, there could be something longer term. I’m not sure what a good season at Motherwell means for either of their futures at their parent clubs, but even if they won’t be with us next season, they’re players with something to prove, whereas Snodgrass is probably the opposite. If he has an average season at Hearts, it’s not denting his future earnings or job prospects, so he has less to worry about.