Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Swello said:

As no-one asked - my favourite Moult goal was probably this one against Aberdeen in the league cup QF mauling - he scored better/more spectacular ones but I just loved that he did this when he was totally burst.

My daughter was a mascot for that game. Brilliant night, great game, good goals. And yes, she is now excited about his return too.

40 minutes ago, Swami said:

Can’t wait for him to mis-control  his first pass and the guy that sits a couple of rows in front of me screams that’s he’s shite and a waste of money. 

Really hoping you you don't sit in the front row of the POD, 10 yards to the left of the halfway line.

6 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

If Efford starts, Hammy's brownie points totaliser will take a dunt.

To be fair Efford was pretty good on Wednesday and deserves to keep his place . Hopefully Connor Shields is further down the pecking order now Aaron’s is here. 

Not sure where this leaves Morris . He’s been very poor on the right but I wonder if he could do a job on the left of midfield as a back up to Spittal? They were certainly getting in each other’s way at the home Sligo game 

35 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Not sure where this leaves Morris . He’s been very poor on the right but I wonder if he could do a job on the left of midfield as a back up to Spittal? They were certainly getting in each other’s way at the home Sligo game 

I've mentioned this before but Morris seems to have played the majority of his career at left mid. Having said that @RandomGuy. posted a radar in here after Morris signed and it looked like Gary Bowyer (now managing Dundee) signed him for Salford and had him playing right wing last season for some reason.

Given we've got Spittal, McKinstry, Aarons you'd imagine they'd be first picks for the positions plus Shields and Efford as options out wide it definitely leaves Morris in that second group.

Tbh, that's probably no bad thing if he's allowed a bit of time to settle and just exist in the group without much expectation.

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

To be fair Efford was pretty good on Wednesday and deserves to keep his place . Hopefully Connor Shields is further down the pecking order now Aaron’s is here. 

I'd take Connor 9x out of 10 over Efford, both have composure issues when presented with chances. Efford played OK vs an insipid rightfully bottom of the Championship team he's also had countless minutes of game time to show what he can do with little return. However if he holds onto his place when you look at who we've now secured, playing him is at least 45 mins as a nod to Wednesday? Nah not for me.

That argument only stands up for the likes of Tierney who has impressed but is lacking game time. The quicker Efford is relegated to firmly in the "break in case of emergency" backup where he should be in any premiership squad the better. We won't be keeping Aarons out that team in a months time so why delay the inevitable?

18 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

I'd take Connor 9x out of 10 over Efford, both have composure issues when presented with chances. Efford played OK vs an insipid rightfully bottom of the Championship team he's also had countless minutes of game time to show what he can do with little return. However if he holds onto his place when you look at who we've now secured, playing him is at least 45 mins as a nod to Wednesday? Nah not for me.

I've got some sympathy for Efford as he came in at the worst possible time. The last 6 months of Alexanders reign of terror should be wiped from our minds, including every players performance - he clearly wasn't getting the best out of anyone.

I honestly think we've got to give them all a clean slate from when Ham-oil took over. As far as Efford is concerned, he's had a handful of sub appearances and a start against lower league opposition. Based on that I think he's in the 'decent and has potential' category. 

I think Wednesday was the first time Joe has played out on the right to be fair to him? I’d be picking Joe over Shields out there for now anyway.

I’d be sticking with the same team today with a view to build up fitness for the new signings to eventually claim a place in the team.

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

This hybrid pitch is fairly hampering our daisy cutter shots/back passes to opposition keepers 

Aye , and the slope would have brought KVV's shot that was deflected right at the end nicely back inside the post . Architects of our own downfall . 

Would any of us have predicted that after 6 games of the league season and going with the same bunch of centre halves from last season that we’d have the second best goals against record in the league? Despite the small sample size and the fact we’ve not played either of the OF I’m still astounded considering where we were after Sligo. 

Sol and Lamie (wayward cross field balls aside) were rock solid today. 

I mean, that's 7 games Hammell's been in charge and we've had clean sheets in 4 of them.

You can absolutely pick the bones out of those fixtures but tbh the sort of numbers we're seeing now (thanks to the SPFL Twitter account) is more than just a new manager bounce. He's changing what we're doing in an effective way.

@thisGRAEME mentioned at the time that we passed the ball more against St Johnstone than any game under Alexander last season. We passed the ball more that that today with an 80% pass accuracy. We're still clearly a massive work in progress and we've yet to play Celtic, Rangers and Hearts but there's tangible evidence of the direction of travel so far - which is encouraging. Especially as Hammell is only just in the door.

@Swello alluded to it earlier but the quirk here is that what Hammell is trying to do is more suited to the squad of players we have than the approach of the guy who signed the majority of them. Hammell touched on it post-match as well in saying that you're actually seeing a huge improvement in terms of output from players who were already in the building.

FbvjCV0WAAEdcQe?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by capt_oats