Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Early days but Goss has been the single biggest beneficiary of the change of approach - if we can live with the fact that he's never going to be pressing someone for 90 mins and flying into tackles (basically being Wee Al) - when he's doing what he's actually good at, he's been really effective so far. 

To that end, I wondered about Gogic too - when you have 2 players in Slattery and Goss that are pretty limited defensively but do the other stuff well - would it actually be useful to have a destructive bastart in the mix?

Edited by Swello

I’m reluctant to think Goss has done the Lamie redemption arc with so little to base it on, but it is encouraging.

i think Gogic would have given us options because by the second round of fixtures come around teams start to combat what made you effective in the first. You need to mix things up.

It’s just at present it feels like a lightweight midfield. Slattery gets in about it but part of his game is to fall over and win a foul. Cornelius is a wee terrier but not overly physically imposing. Don’t think we can count on Morris or Spittal to be tacklers.

So far, to his credit, Hammy hasn’t needed to show all his cards. I think we’re all just happy being entertained again.

Based on where we are I’d doubt the irons in the fire Flao mentioned are anything out with our alert areas. Midfield feels stocked up on paper.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

(Fwiw, I agree with @Handsome_Devil that we could do with a 6 - though an Ally Gorrin type would probably be a better fit than a Gogic IMO)

Fair point, I'd definitely prefer that too. But in the interests of balance a solid dirty b*****d would be a decent enough second choice if that's what's available, particularly if we're going to have the rest actually trying to play football.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

To that end, I wondered about Gogic too - when you have 2 players in Slattery and Goss that are pretty limited defensively but do the other stuff well - would it actually be useful to have a destructive bastart in the mix?

I suppose the counter is that it doesn't necessarily need to just be a destructive b*****d in the mix. As I say, Ally Gorrin was a good example of someone who filled that holding role but had an extra bit about him that meant he was a bit more than a centre back chucked into midfield to kick folk.

As @Handsome_Devil says though, it depends on availability.

Strong FM22 Search: Free Agent > Nationality: Scottish > Midfielders > Sort: International caps vibes from me but how did Kevin McDonald get on at United last season? Signed in February, 11 appearances - 680 minutes played (his debut was in the 2-0 against us and he featured in their post-split games against Rangers and the 1-1 with Celtic).

Obviously he has his medical situation but someone *like* that who knows the role and could be dropped in when needed could be a short term fix. I mean, given we're suddenly in a transitional season having emptied Alexander and there's just over a week of the window to go an experienced short term option might not be the worst shout.

Edited by capt_oats

I like Gogic as a player and he would offer something different to what we have, but in reality I'm guessing he's going to be a stick on starter and probably one of the highest earners at St Mirren and I'm not sure that would be the case here with the make up of our midfield and the way Hammell wants to play. 

An Ally Gorrin sort to sit as that 1 in front of the back 4 would be ideal based on the way SH has us set up, but players who land on every second ball, kick folk and can also play a bit don't come around to often at our level unfortunately.

I would like us to bring in a more traditional #6 so we've got options for those games where we aren't going to have similar/more possession than our opponents and likely to be under the cosh a bit more (OF, Hearts etc). 

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I fucking loved Gorrin. Nothing else to add.

100%. One of the most disappointing things in the last few years is that we only got to see 6 months of him. 

At least he went out in a very apt blaze of glory in that brilliantly fun game against Dundee.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

100%. One of the most disappointing things in the last few years is that we only got to see 6 months of him. 

At least he went out in a very apt blaze of glory in that brilliantly fun game against Dundee.

Some laugh like.

Full 90 in the spoiler for anyone of the inclination.

Spoiler
Edited by capt_oats

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It's academic now but with Gogic there's probably a reason why he's been a good fit for Accies and St Mirren but looked like a fish out of water at Hibs.

A fish out of water who made 53 appearances for Hibs in 18 months ? After JR signed Doyle-Hayes for Hibs , Gogic had fewer starts , but having seen them both in a Buds jersey I would have Gogic before Doyle-Hayes every day of the week . 

20 minutes ago, billyg said:

A fish out of water who made 53 appearances for Hibs in 18 months ? After JR signed Doyle-Hayes for Hibs , Gogic had fewer starts , but having seen them both in a Buds jersey I would have Gogic before Doyle-Hayes every day of the week . 

So what you're saying is Gogic has been a good fit for St Mirren but was replaced by an alternate player before eventually being released by Hibs? Sound.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Some laugh like.

Full 90 in the spoiler for anyone of the inclination.

Hide contents

That penalty decision still annoys me to this day. Either a penalty or a corner but still one of the smartest bits of play I've seen from anyone at Fir Park.

P.S. bring back Gboly

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

So what you're saying is Gogic has been a good fit for St Mirren but was replaced by an alternate player before eventually being released by Hibs? Sound.

................ and he was offered a deal by Courts at DU and accepted it ,  but when JR arrived he "changed his mind" , obviously thought he hadn't been treated well by JR at Easter Road . Gogic is a better all-rounder than you give him credit for !

I'd still like another 6 in to cover any injuries. I think Maguire's role is realistically to come on as a sub if we need another body in there. 

The Goss redemption arc is underway and I really hope it continues. Now we're effectively telling him to pass the ball around instead of playing on the left and expecting him to tackle he looks like a great asset. Football isn't that difficult, just play folk where they are supposed to play. 

45 minutes ago, billyg said:

................ and he was offered a deal by Courts at DU and accepted it ,  but when JR arrived he "changed his mind" , obviously thought he hadn't been treated well by JR at Easter Road . Gogic is a better all-rounder than you give him credit for !

I mean, if Tam Courts offered him a contract...I take it all back.

My point is that Gogic fits a certain type of team playing a certain type of way and he's good at what he does. It's not a criticism.

The fact that he was phased out and eventually loaned before being released by a team looking to change the way they played with a focus on being a possession based side suggests that if you're a team looking to transition towards a bit more expansive, possession based football then Gogic possibly isn't that guy.

I don't think that's a particularly controversial take tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I couldn't fight sleep but I would like to point out that Lucketti looks like he wants the hardest of hard Brexits possible. 

.... Leading a Britain First march through Luton.

I always thought Kelly looks like every guy I've ever known with a white van with their initials then their trade vinyled on the side. Shares the same political views as the most bitter of taxi drivers however.

I wonder whether Woolery would still be here had Alexander left a few weeks sooner. The official line was that he'd been unsettled in Scotland for a while, anyone's guess as to how much of that was down to the previous regime.

I saw on SO earlier from someone allegedly ITK saying that Snodgrass had a few offers on the table now and so was unlikely to be signing for us. Not overly surprising that others are keen on him, what is a bit more surprising is that Rangers were apparently one of them...