Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Hammell has charmed the girls to a victory at Hibs, I assume he showed his face at training through the week.
Does he have to show his face in person, or does an image of his face work the same, like the weeping angels of Doctor Who lore?

Robert Snodgrass today signed for XYZ. IN a statement Robert said:

"I'd like to thank Motherwell for their interest and help allowing me to get this better deal, their involvement really put me on the radar. My agent played a blinder here, the 24 hours thing was a thing of beauty."

Snoddy then grabbed the badge of his new shirt and kissed it.

Edited by Kapowzer

1 hour ago, Richie said:

Screenshot_20220822-145709_Twitter.jpg

He's gone distinctly off-message on that

image.png.125e58d90693fd211646b588ed69062f.png
(Apparently everyone in the league(s?) will get an extra £200K if Rangers win, plus it'll help repair the damage (we) inflicted on the coefficient, and so Flow thinks that's worth supporting them for)

Though I think KVV's position is eminently understandable, from several perspectives ;)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

46 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

He's gone distinctly off-message on that

image.png.125e58d90693fd211646b588ed69062f.png
(Apparently everyone in the league(s?) will get an extra £200K if Rangers win, plus it'll help repair the damage (we) inflicted on the coefficient, and so Flow thinks that's worth supporting them for)

Though I think KVV's position is eminently understandable, from several perspectives ;)

When I seen the headline I initially raised an eyebrow but when you read the article he isn’t urging anybody to support them just that it will help cover the unbudgeted increase in energy costs etc. For a man in his position he is talking absolute sense.

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

When I seen the headline I initially raised an eyebrow but when you read the article he isn’t urging anybody to support them just that it will help cover the unbudgeted increase in energy costs etc. For a man in his position he is talking absolute sense.

Aye, he clarified that to someone who was calling him out on it.

Similarly he was quick to serve his receipts to a guy who was giving it "Nope can't recall a single instance of @Alan_Burrows telling everyone in Scottish football to get behind Celtic in anytime we've been trying to get through the qualifiers".

I mean, for avoidance of doubt I want Rangers to lose literally every game they play but he's consistent with his position (I'm also not a chief executive of a football club).

Edited by capt_oats

More of a hypothetical as he's off to St Mirren again, but would any of you taken Gogic? Perfectly good midfielder at our level, offered good protection to a still shaky defence and a step up from the departed Donnelly. He's 28 so in his prime.

I suppose you'd have to debate who would be dropped to allow him into the squad. Slattery is our best baller, Spittal put the numbers on the board last season and with Goss has had a few good games so far. Cornelius continuing to evolve and improve in the right direction.

5 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

More of a hypothetical as he's off to St Mirren again, but would any of you taken Gogic? Perfectly good midfielder at our level, offered good protection to a still shaky defence and a step up from the departed Donnelly. He's 28 so in his prime.

I suppose you'd have to debate who would be dropped to allow him into the squad. Slattery is our best baller, Spittal put the numbers on the board last season and with Goss has had a few good games so far. Cornelius continuing to evolve and improve in the right direction.

I'd have taken him.

You could debate whether you need him every game (as Slattery-DC-Goss have just shown) but I think not having a single reliable six in your squad is odd. Maguire still hasn't got there.

It's academic now but with Gogic there's probably a reason why he's been a good fit for Accies and St Mirren but looked like a fish out of water at Hibs.

We're only a handful of games in with Hammell but of our 4 games so far we've had more possession and passed the ball more than the opposition in 3 of them. As @thisGRAEME mentioned after St Johnstone - we made more passes in that game than any last season under Alexander.

31/07: St Mirren - 51% possession, 367 passes vs 342
06/08: St Johnstone - 57% possession, 475 passes vs 350
13/08: Aberdeen - 40% possession, 297 passes vs 481
20/08: Livi - 58% possession, 409 passes vs 299

It seems relevant that we've had Goss in as the midfield 1 in this 4141 so far. He's not there to put tackles in and disrupt - he's there to get on the ball and try to make passes.

If this is the direction we're going with Hammell - and it seems to be given the comments from the players about training being more possession based and focussed on short, quick passing - it probably means that what a player is like 'on the ball' is going to be something that we're considering more than we ever did when Robinson was here (and to a lesser extent Alexander) given SR's view was that sort of stuff was 'coachable' - his priorities were physical attributes like pace and physicality.

So from that point of view Gogic - a brick shithouse who's fairly limited on the ball but can cover a couple of positions - feels like a good fit for Robboball but (IMO) less so for what Hammell seems to be trying to put together.

TL,DR - Gogic? Not for me, Clive.

(Fwiw, I agree with @Handsome_Devil that we could do with a 6 - though an Ally Gorrin type would probably be a better fit than a Gogic IMO)

Edited by capt_oats

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It seems relevant that we've had Goss in as the midfield 1 in this 4141 so far. He's not there to put tackles in and disrupt - he's there to get on the ball and try to make passes.

Exactly, you would have thought that the guy that signed him would have been aware of that.

Edited by Dosser1886