Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

What does the Irish season look like?  When we have the break for the World Cup could we not all go back over there, the team plus 300+ supporters and show Sligo what a Stevie Hammell team would do with them.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Have we considered the possibility that we were always fine, and Sligo are just fucking amazing?

We definitely weren't fine, as the fact I'd be stuffing matches into my eyeballs and setting them alight, hoping my tears wouldn't put them out, would attest.

Today I had to use a couple of matchsticks to prop the eyelids open as it wasn't dazzling thanks to the paucity of goalmouth action, but it wasn't a bloody awful watch either as thankfully we seem to be making much more use of that beautiful grass.

52 minutes ago, ropy said:

What does the Irish season look like?  When we have the break for the World Cup could we not all go back over there, the team plus 300+ supporters and show Sligo what a Stevie Hammell team would do with them.

Brilliant idea.

I'd go back in a minute

Looked much more solid at the back today with Lamie back in the team. Thought Sol had a better game alongside him too. Would be nice to have a settled partnership at CB this season, injuries permitting.

Looking at the rest of the scores, some laugh that Main scored 2 goals for St Mirren today, double the amount Tony Watt has managed for Utd in about 25 games. Heh.

3 hours ago, ropy said:

Sadly this is a thing. Sligo 25 competitive games and change of Manager beat us. We were 0 competitive games and season not even started. We were garbage but it is such a disadvantage it can not b underestimated.

Today was a more mundane win. But to be fair Livi sole tactic was long balls / throw ins. Again you could see we were trying to play football but the players are not able to at times.

Thought the defence was very good. Special mention for Sol who was immense in the air. Still a bit suspect with the ball at his feet. Efford is a threat no doubt. I thought that before today. Far from the finished article and probably never will be but he has pace and can go past players for fun. If he only could add that final part……..he would no doubt be elsewhere. 

Could tell there was a slightly larger home crowd. The Stevie Hammell factor 😍

Edited by welldaft

47 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Sadly this is a thing. Sligo 25 competitive games and change of Manager beat us. We were 0 competitive games and season not even started. We were garbage but it is such a disadvantage it can not b underestimated.

Today was a more mundane win. But to be fair Livi sole tactic was long balls / throw ins. Again you could see we were trying to play football but the players are not able to at times.

Thought the defence was very good. Special mention for Sol who was immense in the air. Still a bit suspect with the ball at his feet. Efford is a threat no doubt. I thought that before today. Far from the finished article and probably never will be but he has pace and can go past players for fun. If he only could add that final part……..he would no doubt be elsewhere. 

Could tell there was a slightly larger home crowd. The Stevie Hammell factor 😍

I think you overstate the disadvantage. Always thought that was a minor factor used in Scottish European forrays but it always seems to be cited. From our last game vs Celtic until they played us they had 6 games, 2 of which were Bala, a team below their league standard in Q1 of the ECL. As it turned out they gave them a bit of a shock. However, unlike us they managed to hold it together.

I wonder how much a professional athlete will drop off in match sharpness and fitness during their 4.5 weeks off, especially when pre-season is notorious for people heaving and throwing up due to the exercion. 

Of course there's bedding in new arrivals and holes created from departures but you could also legitimately say think how teams are fatigued, flat, suspensions and injuries have mounted up around the 25 game mark. In a Scottish season, as it puts you right in the middle of Feb/March as I don't know if the 25 you used were just league or cup games too.

It was more the players had tapped out of Alexander's ethos and the dire percentages he seemed fixated on. Morale was rock bottom, the malaise was evident due to his particular style of man management. You can't deny that the players now seem to be enjoying their jobs again and a far bit of their effort in the past 4 games has been to play for Hammy. The team that even the most happy clapper of us felt was going to get the playoff looks truly rejuvenated.

Was a great win yesterday for various reasons, not least because we got our first home win and avoided losing 2 home games against our peer group in a row. 

Looking forward to seeing who we can bring in as you do feel we are still a bit weak in certain areas.

Early days of course, but we now look no more likely for the drop than half the league which didn’t seem the case after the Sligo debacle.

Lucas was outstanding that game he played against Ross county when wee won 4-1. You could tell there was a player in there but he was finished in his early 20s. Still can’t work out what he was trying to do when he got sent off against Accies.

Not dignifying Vigurs’ existence with any comment.