Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Generally agree with [mention=39580]Desp[/mention]'s take on Tam Cowan.
The best way I've heard him described is that there's a difference between "Football" and "The Fitba" and that Tam Cowan is in to the latter.
Someone who is only in to "The Fitba" (i.e the experience of football) is far more likely to suggest signings like Allan, Griffiths and Moult, names very well known to the club and Scottish Football, rather than a bit more depth of thought on who might actually improve the team.
Him being more in to "The Fitba" than "Football" is fully backed up by the fact he posted a video of his all time Motherwell XI on his instagram yesterday, which had three left backs in it.
I'm going to guess Wark, Boyd and Hammell as his three left-backs but that's only because I think he'd have Hammell in looking for relevance. I'd actually have McKinnon instead.

I gave up Sportsound in a huff after listening on the way down after Craig Reid day at Pittodrie where Motherwell scarcely got mentioned and have listened to it about 5 times since after it always being on in the car in the past. Don't get me wrong, listening to Willie Miller and Richard Gordon alternating between bewildered anger and sounding like they wanted to replace Tak' the Floor with Hurt by Johnny Cash on repeat was great fun - but still scunnered me off it for good. 

I have to say, I haven't missed Derek Ferguson's eloquence, Biscuits understated analysis or Packie's deep, encyclopaedic knowledge of non-Celtic players. 

1 hour ago, Swami said:

Off The Ball is more insightful than Sportsound these days. 

Open all mics is an absolute mess now. Saturday had about an hour of chat about Rangers in Europe as games across the country were kicking off in about 5 minutes.

54 minutes ago, dezz said:

Are Hibs still trying to punt Christian Doidge? He was a player I really liked a couple of seasons ago and I’m sure there were some rumours about us being in for him last year, but I get the impression his most recent injury has completely knackered him. Might fall into the ‘worth a punt’ category if his legs still work, but dropping from (presumably) a Hibs first team wage to a Motherwell bench/squad player wage is likely to be an issue.

I think he's broken, like. Any time I've looked at him this season he's looked absolutely miles off the pace, which is a shame because I thought he was magic.

Fine with that...my usual low expectations on youth players apply though, homecoming boy or not.

A little surprised Leeds didn't sort out a new contract with him before he left mind, couple of things you could make of that.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

Buzzing for Saturday. Neither of my boys have any experience of watching anything other than Alexanderball so can't wait to see their reaction to silky free flowing attacking football. Hopefully it will be enough to stop my youngest from continually asking me to take him to a Barcelona match . 

28 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I think he's broken, like. Any time I've looked at him this season he's looked absolutely miles off the pace, which is a shame because I thought he was magic

Aye seems like it…I was listening The Terrace while I posted this and about 10 mins later Tony Anderson had absolutely slaughtered him. Ah well.

Nice to have a good Motherwell laddie in McKinstry back.

23 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Buzzing for Saturday. Neither of my boys have any experience of watching anything other than Alexanderball so can't wait to see their reaction to silky free flowing attacking football. Hopefully it will be enough to stop my youngest from continually asking me to take him to a Barcelona match . 

Not to get carried away but I reckon in a few months time, young Barcelona fans will be asking their dads to take them to Scotland to see Stevie Hammell's Motherwell. 

1 minute ago, CoF said:

Not to get carried away but I reckon in a few months time, young Barcelona fans will be asking their dads to take them to Scotland to see Stevie Hammell's Motherwell. 

The way they're going it will be their only team to support.

31 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

He'll be top class, IMO.

Got to agree with this. I think we are in for a treat.

Also getting to see both Cornelius and McKinstry, two bona fide well bois on the pitch at the same time is going to be brilliant that’s for sure. 

4 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

The basis is that he's a dumpling. 

Was advocating Leigh Griffiths and Scott Allan the other week as well.

Didn't see those gems and when you add in that context it makes a lot more sense. I just wondered if he had an inside scoop from his dealings with Flao or hacks at the Record/BBC. Saying that the BBC are last to know these days.

As @Desp says what he does for our club and many others up and down the country is admirable. Feels like the radio work is autopilot stuff now but in person where he can go blue its a different story.

Shite telly, music choices however and looks like he clothes shops in a motorway services WH Smiths.

Good Guy-ometer ..... strong 8.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

As it stands the first team squad is 25 bodies, which sounds a lot.

However it includes Fox who's doubling as GK coach for the interim at least, Carroll who's out for the season along with Connelly, Johnston, Devine and Mahon (a couple of whom you wouldn't be surprised to see loaned out) plus you've got the obvious question mark over McGinley.

That's before you get to the question of whether or not there are any in the group who might be open to moving on. Given our sales pitch to a lot of our signings is that we're offering a platform to develop their career there may be a couple who might see the change of manager and the direction he's looking in going as an opportunity to explore other options.

All of that is just a long winded way of saying that despite the 25 bodies we probably have a bit of flexibility and I agree with Hammell when he says that the squad is 'thin'. Not least in the fact that we have only have one out and out centre forward but 10 listed defenders (albeit one is ruled out for the season).

McKinstry would be a step in the right direction if he signs but he's 19 and it's a big ask to expect him to have a Turnbull style impact on our season. That's a lot to put on his shoulders.

Hammell's already said that we need to add to our attacking options and he's on record about a left back.

As far as that goes my essential shopping list would be a left back, a wide option (McKinstry) and a centre forward/wide option (not necessarily him exactly but someone who'd offer the same options as Jimmy Scott ie: has potential to develop as a #9 but is effective wide). I've said it before but it feels like we know KVV is our first pick #9 and for all he's susceptible to picking up knocks/suspensions/dips in form a back up striker at Motherwell is a tough sell if we're only playing 1 up front.

After that it's just dependent on what happens with the squad - a centre half would be nice but we already have 4 (5 if you include Devine) so that would be contingent on someone moving on, if we're sticking with this style/shape then an alternative to Goss in the quarterback role would be good as Big Sean hasn't been blessed with consistency.

For this reason i can't see a centre half being brought in either and instead Hammell will focus, as he's stated, on improving what we already have.

If a CB was to leave and free up space you'd have to assume Ojala is the prime candidate. Looked done last season and now looks out of the picture. I suppose it depends on whether he's happy sitting around for the majority of the remainder of his contract or if he wants to make one last crack of it somewhere else.