Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

No 1st team appearances in 1.5 years and only 20 for County before that. 

Would probably rather opt for more or indeed any experience but I trust the club to know what it is doing. That plus there is a Q of what we can legitimately afford. Certainly would be happy to beat the Paisley mob to any player. Another reminder of who is boss….

55 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I think people need to accept we are signing a back up left back. O'Donnell is going to be the starting left back like the season where Richard Tait played on the left.

We have 2 Scotland international full backs  and are going to put them on the park.

This is pretty much it.

Like, if we shifted to a McGinn on the right of a back 3 and O'Donnell at RWB then it opens a LWB spot but since Hammell seems to be going with this 4141 it's a moot point. If SOD is fine with playing left back then just go with it IMO since as a short term fix it gets 2 players you'd imagine we want on the park, on the park.

Without knowing the back story of what the script is with him looking at the what Hammell seems to want from his full backs (albeit in a limited sample size) it feels like McGinley is toast either way.

@bunglebonce what's the deal with Josh Reid? What type of full back is he.

12 minutes ago, stu92 said:

I seem to remember Reid having a good game against us in the season opener a few years ago, the one where Donnelly fluffed his penalty. But that may have just been exaggerated in my head because we lost. 

Was that not the game where we had all the possession.

40 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I honestly thought Callum Lang was going to be class. The red card got me even more excited, if anything. 

To be fair he has been pretty decent at Wigan. After he left us he almost averaged a league goal every two games for the reminder of the 20-21 season. For 21-22 season 1 goal in every 3 games. A much better conversion ratio than when he was with us for sure. 

5 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Another one here for the "Callum Lang will be class" club.

And me. Indeed, I've rarely been as excited then underwhelmed about a signing, ignoring returning heroes who didn't quite meet previous standards. He wasn't even that bad for us but I really thought he'd look very good indeed in a team coming off third etc.

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

@bunglebonce what's the deal with Josh Reid? What type of full back is he.

I don’t subscribe to the Athletic but I did see a graphic outlining various modern positions at the elite level, last week.

Spoiler

Of those, I’d say Reid falls under ‘safety’. He played at wing-back sometimes but is more of a natural full-back. He was encouraged to get forward plenty when he played in the first team but it didn’t seem like the strongest part of his game. He occasionally put in a belter of a cross but there were plenty duds. I think he did have a good left foot on him technique-wise but it was composure from lack of experience that was letting him down.

He only played in County’s first team when matches were behind closed doors, so I never watched him at the ground. What struck me was his his plucky character, tenacity and lack of fear. He seemed like he was around 5’11” or 6’ tall and his pace was good enough but not blistering. He tucked in beside the centre-backs well enough. However he was drawn into two naive first-half yellow cards by St Mirren at home on his last start before he was sold to Coventry, which was down to exuberance and lack of experience.

He played way more in the first half of 2020/21 than was expected. Stuart Kettlewell signed Carl Tremarco to mentor Reid and start most matches, but Tremarco’s legs were already done (which was obvious before Kettlewell signed him), plus Reid took his chance when it arrived.

I expect his game will have developed since then, but as far as I can tell he’s not yet played any football in front of a big crowd. Winning in the League Cup at an empty Celtic Park is probably the closest to that. 

Reid looked very good in his debut vs Motherwell, but Hastie had no interest in staying wide so Reid had an easy afternoon to get up and down the flank unchallenged.

Tam Cowan is advocating Louis returning on his Instagram ..... what's the basis or this or is it just wishful thinking?
Louis Moult has played 50 games since leaving us 4 and a half years ago. His knees are also held together with masking tape.

He was a great player for us but I have no idea why the usual morons in our support ask for him to return every transfer window.