Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I found it hard watching Cornelius today and not feeling frustrated in amongst being so impressed with him. He's obviously miles away from the finished article as you would expect but the fact that he wasn't getting the game time he needs to get there is a huge waste of time. He needs played, even when his form shades as he looks perfectly suited to our level of football.

Also, I think it's fine (and a good thing) when a player knocks his pan in for an hour and then needs replaced as he's utterly fucked - with the number of subs we're allowed now, it should be a standard thing to do.

49 minutes ago, Swello said:

I found it hard watching Cornelius today and not feeling frustrated in amongst being so impressed with him. He's obviously miles away from the finished article as you would expect but the fact that he wasn't getting the game time he needs to get there is a huge waste of time. He needs played, even when his form shades as he looks perfectly suited to our level of football.

Also, I think it's fine (and a good thing) when a player knocks his pan in for an hour and then needs replaced as he's utterly fucked - with the number of subs we're allowed now, it should be a standard thing to do.

He looked today like the kinda kid that could grow up to be Allan Campbell, which is what we all thought when he first appeared but for some reason GA didn't seem to be interested in developing him into.

The result and the performance were as welcome as they were unexpected.

As someone said above, the Stevie May late goal now seems especially annoying. 

We now have a 5 point gap over 11th which is where I usually set my sights as a reference point as to how well we’re doing throughout the season.

Keen to see who we can now bring in/maybe move out.

27 minutes ago, Al B said:

He looked today like the kinda kid that could grow up to be Allan Campbell, which is what we all thought when he first appeared but for some reason GA didn't seem to be interested in developing him into.

The difference is that Allan Campbell still got picked when he had a few shite games in a row - as everyone could see that he was a player and all young players go through spells where they can't sustain the good form. Cornelius needs that level of support from now on.

20 minutes ago, Swello said:

The BBC Sean Goss love-in continues - now with some actual justification.

Man of the match - Sean Goss

Motherwell's Sean Goss Sean Goss was pivotal to much of Motherwell's play, and was unlucky not to score himself

Lads maybe I don't hate Sean Goss and I just hated whatever the f**k Alexander was telling him to do.

16 minutes ago, Swello said:

The difference is that Allan Campbell still got picked when he had a few shite games in a row - as everyone could see that he was a player and all young players go through spells where they can't sustain the good form. Cornelius needs that level of support from now on.

Actually fairly scary to imagine what Allan Campbell would be doing now if Alexander had been in charge of his early development in the first team.

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

Lads maybe I don't hate Sean Goss and I just hated whatever the f**k Alexander was telling him to do.

Early days but the turnaround in Goss evokes memories of McGhee replacing Clarkson/McGarry/Paterson with clones in summer 2007.

Even better - purely because I've been banging this drum in a private chat - was Spittal's performance having moved up rather than being part of a central three. Will cover up the 99/100 moronic suggestions I usually make for a week.

Slattery obviously made a difference and DC has been spoken about too.

Shields also contributed, though he's probably still nobody's ideal starter. But it showed if you have a coherent attack, one guy who contributes nothing more than legs can not only be carried but can be effective in pressing, as an outlet etc. Whereas if you're struggling and you have not one but two of these guys in your front three you're counting down till season tickets are landing on the pitch.

The defence remains a muddle too of course but after the absolute fear of the last few weeks simply anything to justify optimism is to be grabbed with both hands.

Van Veen looked fucked at the end, but that's been 5 games in a row for him, so he might need a break.

Have to give a shout out to SOD for having a decent game at left back. Him sprinting across to put the fear of God into the guy who was 1on1 after Sol slipped was beautiful. He was never getting there, but the guy fluffed his shot because he shat himself.

4 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I’m certainly not getting carried away, just enjoying the moment.

I fully expect us to lose next Saturday!

I would actually much rather we were up against United or Hibs next - a side where we'd be second favourites on paper but against an opponent who would turn up and try to play. Livi being Livi will be a massive test for the new us and I don't quite know if we'll be ready for it. I'd actually not be unhappy with a point, just to avoid losing momentum, but of course if we manage a win the optimism really will be there...

20 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I would actually much rather we were up against United or Hibs next - a side where we'd be second favourites on paper but against an opponent who would turn up and try to play. Livi being Livi will be a massive test for the new us and I don't quite know if we'll be ready for it. I'd actually not be unhappy with a point, just to avoid losing momentum, but of course if we manage a win the optimism really will be there...

Regardless I’ve got way more confidence against anyone next to how I felt a week ago.