Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, dezz said:

I’ll join in. Max Lowe (ex-Dons LB). 

No idea who it will be, but left back is now obviously high priority. It's the position I'm most intrigued to see filled, by virtue of the man himself being a master of the art and, four years after retiring, still the last competent person we had to fill the berth. 

If he can pull a signing out the bag of someone with even half his ability, culture of his left peg and delivery, that'll do for me,  as none of the imposters who've followed so far have come close to lacing his boots.

I'm no fan of grasses but if we're after an experienced emergency left back who could presumably slot in to a team without needing their hand held I see Lee Wallace is still without a club after leaving QPR (I'm assuming he's not injured or whatever).

Edited by capt_oats

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm no fan of grasses but if we're after an experienced emergency left back who could presumably slot in to a team without needing their hand held I see Lee Wallace is still without a club after leaving QPR (I'm assuming he's not injured or whatever).

Just turned 35. Despite where we are my preference in reverse order is:

• SPFL fringe player on loan
  • English loanee (unless there’s an option to buy)
  • Lee Wallace
  • Someone who offers a modicum of potential resale value

More quotes from Hammell's press conference:

On Carroll's injury, which came as a result of an awkward landing in training, Hammell said: "It's a ruptured patellar tendon so it's pretty serious.

"Jake's a great boy, a good player. He was one we had earmarked for improvement. He wasn't playing at his full capacity and we saw in the short space of time that there was a lot of improvement to come from Jake. I think he would admit that himself.

"He is going to be a big loss for us and I am absolutely gutted for the boy. He will be lucky to play this season.

"Nathan is still going to be out for a period of time."

"We have made enquiries about players," he said. "It's tough.

"Recruitment is key, recruitment is so, so important, and bringing the right person in. I would rather sign a seven or eight out of 10 player that is going to fit in with what we are trying to do here and fit in with the culture and environment, than a nine or a 10 that's going to give us problems.

"We need to be clever with it. It's difficult with how late we are but when we do it, of course it's never going to be perfect and there might be some kind of risk attached to it, but we need to be confident they are going to make an impact straight away.

"We have made enquiries about a couple and there's a couple that are slow burning.

"It's no secret we need a couple of attacking options as well as a couple of other positions. With Jake Carroll getting injured, obviously that's something we will need to look at quickly."

Link

and Sean Goss

Midfielder Sean Goss is one player who looks set to benefit from Hammell's approach of giving players more licence to express themselves and get on the ball.

Goss said: "All managers are different in the way they go about training. There's been a lot of short, sharp stuff, lots of touches on the ball, possession-based, just to get the boys going again, and hopefully get a bit more confidence in the side.

"It's obviously going to take time, you can't just change the way a team plays overnight, but all the lads are looking forward to it."

Tbh, I genuinely can't read anything that's coming out the club just now as anything other than low key digs at Alexander.

28 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, grassing aside, at 35 and assuming a level of fitness, he'd be a more than decent option even if he was amenable to a deal 'til Christmas then take it from there.

An experienced pro who could slot straight in is far from the worst option we could go for tbh.

7 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I mean, grassing aside, at 35 and assuming a level of fitness, he'd be a more than decent option even if he was amenable to a deal 'til Christmas then take it from there.

An experienced pro who could slot straight in is far from the worst option we could go for tbh.

Fwiw, he played 24 games for QPR last season (21 starts in the Championship). I've no idea why he missed the last 6 games of the season. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lee-wallace/leistungsdaten/spieler/36657/plus/0?saison=2021

I mean, it kind of feels like we're in a place where we 100% need known quantities and I suppose in this specific case we have precisely zero first team left backs available so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Fwiw, he played 24 games for QPR last season (21 starts in the Championship). I've no idea why he missed the last 6 games of the season. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lee-wallace/leistungsdaten/spieler/36657/plus/0?saison=2021

I mean, it kind of feels like we're in a place where we 100% need known quantities and I suppose in this specific case we have precisely zero first team left backs available so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

A back 3 of McGinn, Sol, and Lamie with O'Donnell and Wallace ahead in a 3-5-2? Could do worse. 

Edit : fwiw, I doubt it'll be him, he'd have told someone by now.

Edited by 'WellDel

1 minute ago, boozyBJ said:

Who’s the wee guy that plays lb for Morton? 

Lewis Strapp. Surprised he’s still at Morton to be fair. Good player and can launch a shy about 80 yards. 

I would take Wallace on two accounts:

1. I think he'd be absolutely fine for this standard and a marked upgrade on Carroll and McGinley

2. At his age and background, I reckon he would be happy with a deal until the end of the season. Most younger players that we would look to fill that gap will be after at least an 18-month deal and I'm not sure that I would want to commit our future at left back to someone who is available with less than 3 weeks of the window left.

I like the shout of Wallace. He'd be an improvement to who we have now and we wouldn't be waiting on him taking time to settle into Scottish football. It won't happen but it's a yes from me.

I had it in my head that Wallace had been playing at CB for QPR, but that was about 4 games 3 years ago.

Anyway, get Derek Watson in for his signing video.

We should really have taken the leap for the boy Harry Milne before he went to Thistle, IMO.

Also congrats @dezz!

54 minutes ago, Richie said:

Good old Tony.

He actually made a cameo in the play-off first leg at Ibrox, making it all the funnier.

The "Strakers on, we're taking the piss" chant was one of so many highlights from that evening.