Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Loved Craigan as a player but he makes a tit of himself every time he opens his mouth.

The Cypriot team Lennon currently manages will have a bigger budget than we do. I'd imagine Lennon also had a pretty cushty life in Cyprus away from all the pish he has to put up with here.

A complete non starter and Craigan is daft to even suggest it.

I'm probably in a minority but wouldn't be massively upset if we went with Lennon.

If he is mystery man number three, however, it would be striking that all candidates would come with huge downside/risks - there not being a single boring safe option seems strange.

No matter who the new manager is I really hope the board are already making plans for anything that may happen over the next 12 months. We could end up 10th which is my hope this season or the nightmare could happen. If the worst does happen we need to avoid a Falkirk/Dunfermline scenario. 
Even Killie’s biggest wage bill in years struggled out the championship by the skin of their teeth. 

54 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Loved Craigan as a player but he makes a tit of himself every time he opens his mouth.

The Cypriot team Lennon currently manages will have a bigger budget than we do. I'd imagine Lennon also had a pretty cushty life in Cyprus away from all the pish he has to put up with here.

A complete non starter and Craigan is daft to even suggest it.

Aye but surely being a ginger would mean that Scotland is a better place for him?

49 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Hmmmmm....

Will Simo Valakari get his dream job in Scotland? This is how his current boss commented on the matter

Simo Valakari is high on Motherwell's coach list.

ICE
COMMENT

f0c2191da8acc249287fddfdffb9c966.jpg

PHOTO:  EMMI KORHONEN / LEHTIKUVA

17:58

KUOPIO Palloseura head coach Simo Valakari is one of Motherwell's top candidates for the head coach position.

According to Ilta-Sanomi, the Scottish Premier League club went through their candidates at the end of last week, and chose their favorite options. This week it's time to interview the top candidates.

According to IS information, Valakari belongs to this group.

The former head coach of SJK and Tromsö has been in trouble before. In 2015, the employer at the time, SJK, refused to let Valakari out of his contract and become Motherwell's manager when the Scottish club offered him a position.

At the same time, Valakari was on the pitch in 2015 and 2016. He represented the club as a player in 1996–2000.

Now it is known that Valakari is again the top candidate for the club management. In a recent interview with MTV, Valakari described coaching in Motherwell as his own dream.

537ac2a91453cbd7b37c0a4eb1ca5581.jpg

PHOTO:  TIMO HARTIKAINEN

PALLOKERHO
Simo Valakarille aukeamassa unelmapesti, mutta jääkö KuPS tyhjän päälle? Roman Eremenkon debyytissä hyviä signaaleja IFK:lle

JUST as it was with SJK in 2015, Motherwell is also now looking for a new manager in the middle of the hottest season in the Finnish football calendar. KuPS is fighting hard for the championship with HJK and Honga, who are wedged in the title fight.

The main owner of KuPS, investment banker Ari Lahti , is not immediately going to roll out the red carpet towards the airport if Valakar is offered a job.

In addition to the championship, KuPS is still fighting for the victory in the Finnish Cup and it is at least this week still participating in the Euro courts. In the 1st leg of the conference league qualifying round, the Swiss Young Boys were stronger 2–0.

Lahti, who generously finances the Kuopio club, reminds us that the value of the Veikkausliiga championship is really significant financially these days.

- It is an entity worth at least one million euros. And if we win the championship, we seriously bet on reaching the group stage of the Eurocup next season. Champions' path to the group stage is significantly easier than others, Lahti points out in an interview with Ilta-Sanomi.

Lahti thanks Valakari's work for KuPS and emphasizes that his value to the Kuopio club is very significant.

- As far as I understand, we are not in that situation yet, and at this stage we are of course talking about a theoretical question. But if a situation came up that Motherwell really wanted him, then probably a pretty significant compensation would be required. There would be three parties, i.e. KuPS, Simo and Motherwell.

Motherwell is a club owned by the supporters' association, and is not one of the most financially sound football clubs in the country.

- I don't know if it will create a story with us. If the situation comes up, we'll see if a solution can be found that satisfies everyone.

IS did not reach Valakari for comment.

VALAKARI himself has spoken earlier in his career about the difficulty of Finnish coaches getting into the world. He has first-hand experience of it.

Lahti emphasizes that all options are possible.

- Of course, the other side of this is that, just like with the players, we also want to help the coaches forward. There has to be some balance for the whole to work. We have invested quite a lot in both Simo and the entire coaching team. If the conductor of the orchestra were to leave, it would be a really difficult situation for the whole.

KUPS has been in a similar situation before. In the 2019 season , Jani Honkavaara was offered the opportunity to move to Belgium to coach in the middle of the season. However, the transfer did not materialize, and Honkavaara helped KuPS become the champion of Finland.

The club that offered Honkavaara a job, Royale Union Saint-Gilloise, was playing at the second highest league level in Belgium at the time. Since then, the club has been promoted to the main league and finished second in the league last season.

2 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Tbh ibhave somehow missed the coach stuff today. Currently in East Kilbride yo watch the Youth team and see what they can do.

I can't be any worse than the main team.. right?

It would appear to be almost exactly the same sadly. 

How did the young boys play tonight ?