Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Very interesting comments from Stevie Hammell on BBC Sportsound...

Was asked about Kelly's comments regarding the toxicity from the stands and he couldn't have been stronger in his defence of the fans and said fans would be nowhere near the ones to blame, or words to that effect. 

Also thought it was interesting when he said not having Slattery available was massive blow because he was going to be integral to way they wanted to play. He also said he had to get different messages across to the players as the ones previously hadn't been working.

Edited by tonicg

On 29/07/2022 at 20:03, Captain Saintsible said:

Alexander saves your cheating club from relegation, wins you a spot in Europe and wins more points than any other club outside the Old Firm

And yet your disgraceful supporters hound him out?

Shameful 

GIRFUY....!!! hopefully you get relegated. Well overdue. Still can't beat us even when we are at our lowest point. Always love beating your shitty mob

Anyone who watched us today should have the absolute fear.

There are massive problems all over the pitch and I'm already admitting my belief our squad underperforming is looking like utter nonsense. Three new players won't turn us into a solid side - they're needed to have us on the right side of the bottom two line.

A long, long season awaits and next week is a six-pointer already.

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

There are massive problems all over the pitch and I'm already admitting my belief our squad underperforming is looking like utter nonsense. Three new players won't turn us into a solid side - they're needed to have us on the right side of the bottom two line.

Big time. The only way to look at that other than a massive chuckle is 1/12th of the way to survival.

Let’s not get carried away with a equally shite team with Curtis Main as an answer. They’re toothless.

We offered nothing going forward. 

17 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

It's a long season, so getting points while we are shite and have no manager is much welcome.

Was Kian Spiers wearing a shirt a couple of sizes too small, or is he a tank?

Wee tank of a boy, all shoulders and upper arms.

I have to say I disagree with the couple of comments above. It's been 3 days, and as much as I reckon the players were being hampered to a reasonable degree by Alexanders' approach, it's not as if they'll all be like "I'M FREEEEEEE!" as soon as the shackles come off, and start spraying the ball around looking like a cohesive unit with a game plan. It's certainly not going to be done in 3 days by Hammy.

Nothing much was ever going to change today, and just because it didn't, that doesn't mean it wasn't down to Alexander afterall. Hammy's job is to try and get us through to the point where a new manager can spend some time unpicking 2 years of a certain type of coaching and game approach, and then rebuild and repair with a new one.

Surprised anyone was expecting any sort of change today, other than the players looking fucking delighted after the final whistle. That's the first step towards change....and that's all we can hope for at the moment.

Edited by Al B

25 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

maybe so but that's got to have installed some confidence back into the players and the club. I think that's just as important as anything else that's needed in this squad.

I can only hope you're right.

But left-back is a catastrophe and despite having four (and a bit) centre-backs there is no combination which makes you feel safe.

Midfield is entirely reliant on Slattery.

In 4.5 hours of football we've created only a handful of chances against opposition which can most generously be described as modest.

Before the game Hammel hadn't worked with the first team. So no surprise about lineup. Next week hopefully see a different style of play/formation assume Hammel still in charge. Add into that Lamie suspended Slattery back mcginn possibly injured SOD back and confidence boost of winning and st Johnston opponents. In my head I know expect boring shit game with ref blowing for a foul every time there is almost contact but heart we're going to win the league. Mon the the well 

Before the game Hammel hadn't worked with the first team. So no surprise about lineup. Next week hopefully see a different style of play/formation assume Hammel still in charge. Add into that Lamie suspended Slattery back mcginn possibly injured SOD back and confidence boost of winning and st Johnston opponents. In my head I know expect boring shit game with ref blowing for a foul every time there is almost contact but heart we're going to win the league. Mon the the well 
Yep, but Slattery is banned next week too.

1 hour ago, Well Well said:

GIRFUY....!!! hopefully you get relegated. Well overdue. Still can't beat us even when we are at our lowest point. Always love beating your shitty mob

It’s best to remember he’s nothing more than a Troll with huge issues. There’s a reason he had to move out to Russia.

2 hours ago, Al B said:

Wee tank of a boy, all shoulders and upper arms.

I have to say I disagree with the couple of comments above. It's been 3 days, and as much as I reckon the players were being hampered to a reasonable degree by Alexanders' approach, it's not as if they'll all be like "I'M FREEEEEEE!" as soon as the shackles come off, and start spraying the ball around looking like a cohesive unit with a game plan. It's certainly not going to be done in 3 days by Hammy.

Nothing much was ever going to change today, and just because it didn't, that doesn't mean it wasn't down to Alexander afterall. Hammy's job is to try and get us through to the point where a new manager can spend some time unpicking 2 years of a certain type of coaching and game approach, and then rebuild and repair with a new one.

Surprised anyone was expecting any sort of change today, other than the players looking fucking delighted after the final whistle. That's the first step towards change....and that's all we can hope for at the moment.

Agree with the above however I certainly saw enough of a change tactically to feel Optimistic. 

Interesting in his post match interview he spoke about not being able to make as many changes as he liked as players where not up to speed and fit enough to come in. That’s mad and shows how the lack of pre season really has affected us. 

I enjoyed that, not because we played well but it wasn’t insipid. Players seemed to have a little bit more freedom.  And Hammell used the substitutes like confetti, the way it should be.  Presumably the young boy got the nod because he had Foyle minutes under his belt whereas Mahon won’t remember what shape the ball is.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

I enjoyed that, not because we played well but it wasn’t insipid. Players seemed to have a little bit more freedom.  And Hammell used the substitutes like confetti, the way it should be.  Presumably the young boy got the nod because he had Foyle minutes under his belt whereas Mahon won’t remember what shape the ball is.

I thought the boy rather than Tierney andm interesting call rather than Mahon.

Though I'm told from folk there we had Tierney stripped and ready to go as subbie number six at one point...

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I thought the boy rather than Tierney andm interesting call rather than Mahon.

Though I'm told from folk there we had Tierney stripped and ready to go as subbie number six at one point...

Tierney was coming on just as Lamie lunged, it was changed for Bevis, naturally, although young Ross stood there expectantly looking to get on.

I was interested to see Hammy put a young boy on at a critical point in the game - but from his selfish point of view, it allows him to use that as an example for the academy players...Also, if the academy director doesn't trust these boys to step up, who would?

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

I was interested to see Hammy put a young boy on at a critical point in the game - but from his selfish point of view, it allows him to use that as an example for the academy players...Also, if the academy director doesn't trust these boys to step up, who would?

Stevie showed more managerial expertise in 90 mins than Alexander did in all his time here.