Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Here's the question - What the f**k do we think has actually happened here?

I mean in terms of the boards thinking, at the end of the season, through the summer, and after two competitive games. Despite how bad things were, I think the timing of this has probably caught most of us off-guard.  They've funded new players, extended contracts, shifted backroom staff around, paid a fortune to go to Austria - all under Alexander's direction I assume. Surely if there was unrest or he was on a very shoogly peg there was enough evidence to bin him before now? Were they pinning all hope on a decent start to the season? Has Alexander mutually consented it because he wasn't getting backed to bring in the quality he wanted? It just seems mental that they would give him a full pre-season. 

More questions than answers the now.

1 minute ago, CoF said:

I mean in terms of the boards thinking, at the end of the season, through the summer, and after two competitive games. Despite how bad things were, I think the timing of this has probably caught most of us off-guard.  They've funded new players, extended contracts, shifted backroom staff around, paid a fortune to go to Austria - all under Alexander's direction I assume. Surely if there was unrest or he was on a very shoogly peg there was enough evidence to bin him before now? Were they pinning all hope on a decent start to the season? Has Alexander mutually consented it because he wasn't getting backed to bring in the quality he wanted? It just seems mental that they would give him a full pre-season. 

I was wondering this. Alexander may have genuinely had enough and walked - I doubt he'll be hard up and desperate for the work, so he might have made the board's decision for them.

Alternatively, the board may have had a lot of doubts based on 2022 form and the fucking abject nature of the loss last night (and the supporters reaction) spooked them sufficiently to act before any more damage was done to our season.

The fact that he gave a quote to the website probably means it wasn't a simple sacking.

Just imagine Stephen Robinson abandoning St Mirren for us after assembling a squad out of some of our worst players in years. Could also throw in 3pts on Sunday to seal the deal

6 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I did hear the rumour that Alexander was possibly going late last season. I don't know if that board meeting happened or whether Burrows sorted everything. Alexander stayed and he made his coaching appointments in the summer.

I have no reason to doubt the person I heard it from and there was a lot of upset at the game last night. And Burrows was having a long chat with Alexander on their own at the airport.

Just back from the Emerald Isle. Apologies JMG. It was case of mistaken identity. It was actually a United fan that I confused you with. Someone said your user name and said it was a United fan. Guess that’s what happens when you have Jim McLean as part of your signature….

58 minutes ago, CoF said:

I have no qualms with Alexander's contract being extended in January, he had a remarkable points tally in 2021. With the extension to 2025 he got an interim wage jump and security and the club protected itself if he was poached, his stock would have been high and rising. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a trigger clause added but it was conveyed earlier in the thread the club also probably it's own protections written in over and above his initial deal a year before. When he was first appointed, the official website did not mention the contract length (2.5 years?). He moved his family up despite being settled down there and wasn't going to commute like a few others, it was all the stuff you wanted to see.

Yes the product was turgid but I like many thought it was transitory to build the team up slowly, a Fergie at Man United patience gig. A further three and a half years locked in January certainly gives the impression of a buy in and hope of an evolution.

Then the shite run, never a tailspin and despite drifting down the league slowly over weeks, a quick glance at the table reminded some but not all that one win and we're top six again. The club were in deep financially and to be fair he kinda earned a degree of trust that was justified at Livi and reinforced in Dingwall.

Europe confirmed, brow wipe, season over. Bottom to safety to Europe .... as it's written, not too shabby. Watching all 90 minutes of the 60 games under his tenure, Very different story.

Regardless of manager, we would have been out of pocket for a week away. Northern Ireland is probably a lot cheaper than the Alps but probably on a par with Spain where we've been before. I don't see that as a stick to beat the club with, we would have ran them 10km a day and triple sessions in the heat somewhere.

You're hoping for deadwood out, problem positions and personnel addressed, minor tinkering as per the new masterplan, run the fuckers in preseason as while we will never had the most technically gifted there's nothing stopping us being the fittest. And most importantly prepared.

I am a firm believer that for a club of our standing, success is 70% down to acquisitions. It was criminal to approach these winnable games weaker than what finished 2021/22 a few weeks before. It's infuriating as tie had such a financial boon for progressing. Now if we lost out, waiting to hear back on offers or the club didn't back him, who knows. January's business wasn't the best and that would have been fresh in the mind. All I do know is a centre half with over 800 senior appearances brought in one guy seemingly no better than the club captain while a good nine out of ten of the support could see a glaring issues elsewhere.

I do think they were pinning hope on a good start and he did demonstrate he can amass points, clean slate and all that. Momentum can also be infectious, but goodwill was zero and all patience eroded. Mix in Slattery, Woolery approaching the club to explore other options 1 year into a 3 year deal and SOD of late.

300 away support universally baying for blood to the extent the reporter suggested moving inside, a reported dressing room heated exchange, I'd say it was untenable to have him in post.

Flao many forget, has been at the helm (just different job titles) during 2 managers just running out of ideas (McCall, Robinson) and 2 losing the dressing room (Baraclough, McGhee), I would venture he could now see the telltale signs from experience.

It was mentioned earlier why did it take till 5pm to announce? Probably to hammer out the terms (a sacking over a "mutual parting" would taint the perceptions new employers), the finances and the mutually agreed wording of the press statement.

I think the vast majority of our squad are relieved tonight. The one's that are pish but been getting a game, not so much.

40 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

It was mentioned earlier why did it take till 5pm to announce? Probably to hammer out the terms (a sacking over a "mutual parting" would taint the perceptions new employers), the finances and the mutually agreed wording of the press statement.

Well that's the old classic play to post any controversial message at 5pm on a Friday then shut down the laptop and ignore the fallout until you arrive back on Monday.