Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Am I right when I read that we’ve only scored over 2 goals in three games since Alexander arrived? Formartine, Queen of the South & St Mirren.

I can see is scoring two tonight but if Sligo score, we could be in bother.

We beat Killie Livi  3-1 in the Covid season iirc

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

2 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

So all-in-all, it seems a no-brainer to me.   But perhaps I have no (football) brain.  And maybe the stats all say otherwise.  I won't argue if it's, y'know, science.

I agree completely in terms of feeling but GA was very certain when asked the stats say otherwise. The principles of how you defend certain things are now established by analysts watching thousands upon thousands of examples and the feeling of you and I in the stand is worth even less than it used to be.

Way before stats got mega trendy for the general public, I remember a manager on sky sports being asked why he didn't have man on the post at corners. His reply was basically 'you always remember the odd goal you concede or save that way but never notice how many times the extra guy guarding the front of the six yard box clears it - trust me it's worth it'. 

And fair enough, this is no longer a subjective matter - if someone in the game says this I now tend to just believe them.

When GA was making his defence at the the AGM he said we'd conceded three goals from the last 170 odd corners - since then we've only lost one more and that was when Kelly dropped it v St Mirren.

One guess how the goal which knocks us out tonight will be scored...

Edited by Handsome_Devil

1 hour ago, Cooper Stand said:

Aye very good, I have it on good authority that the team is in Sligo tonight, but I didn't make it up. Spill the beans on yir good authority or please stop posting made up rubbish. 

I didn’t make up up what I conveyed.  By identifying where I heard it will compromise the individual who shared it.

I also don’t have to qualify to you as if it’s deserved after your shitey posts last week.

I have fucked my boss about suhin awful arranging holidays for a possible trip to Prague(maybe Stavanger). Be some laugh when I stoat in the mora and ask him to cancel them aw.

He'll probably tell me naw, he's not cancelling them, so I will have to find something to do Next Tues-Fri.

Just now, Kapowzer said:

Shields, a poacher type of player who seems to be useless within 6 yards. No issue with Tierney coming in.

I thought a back 3 and advanced wingbacks was a shoe in tonight. 

Back 3 was awful at Thistle when we changed to it. Might need a bit more practice before that's rolled out.

I'm as pleased as everyone we're starting Tierney but let's be honest, he's only ever shown wee flashes and the fact we're relying on him as the sole change to save us is damning on multiple levels.

If you could get the odds, I think a fiver on us having a different manager the next time we play at home would be decent outside investment.

15 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Back 3 was awful at Thistle when we changed to it. Might need a bit more practice before that's rolled out.

Yeah I wasn’t there. I was going post split where SOD looked like a player at times and we got wins again.

Willing to consider anything to limit either wingbacks for anything in defence other than cover and extra bodies between our opponents and our goalmouth.

Big sexy Sol must have a bit of Woolery in April feels tonight.

24 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Hopefully Tierney starting should have us being more direct from the off and not spending half the game pinging balls touchline to touchline.  

Hahahahaha good one.