Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Neil86 said:

the very same question was put to the Rotherham Manager the other day, apparently they don't leave anyone up at corners. His response was 'show me your ten favourite goals that have come from defending a corner' 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Jonny Page v Aalesunds
Jake Hastie v Livingston
Mazinga v Saints
Danny Johnson v Aberdeen
Pearson v County
Marvin v ICT

That's only six. The joke's on you, pal.

Rotherham c**t 1-0 thisGRAEME 

3 hours ago, Neil86 said:

the very same question was put to the Rotherham Manager the other day, apparently they don't leave anyone up at corners. His response was 'show me your ten favourite goals that have come from defending a corner' 

He also said the more players you have in the box, the more congested it is, and therefore harder for the opposition to score which is absolutely fair enough. 

Ok, so :adopts Manuel accent: "I know nothing" about football tactics, other than what seems blindingly obvious, but what seems to me to be blindingly obvious is that if you don't have someone left up at the halfway line, then when a defender blindly hoofs out of the penalty area then the only thing it's going to do is end up with at the oppositions' feet and they get to pump another ball into the box within a few seconds, when they're all still up there.  

And our player loitering at the half way line will encourage them to leave 1, possibly 2 extra players to cover him, which are players that aren't in our box as possible scorers.

And there's that (admittedly small) chance of a lucky break-away goal, as listed above.

So all-in-all, it seems a no-brainer to me.   But perhaps I have no (football) brain.  And maybe the stats all say otherwise.  I won't argue if it's, y'know, science.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I guess Alexander’s tactic for a lot of last season was let the opposition pump balls into our box and hope we could defend them, so him not leaving someone up isn’t that surprising.

I’d always have at least one player up, maybe two. 

One of the peculiar things with defending corners I remember is us sending Scott McDonald back to defend and keeping 6’2” Lee Erwin up. 

33 minutes ago, Desp said:

It was the final straw but they're possibly going to keep him on until Christmas?  

:lol: very good.

No in terms of his man management and way he operates. Patience is now threadbare.

When he goes will be purely down to performances on the pitch to reinforce the feeling he’s not the man to take the club forward in the way they want.

Put it this way, we definitely won’t be sitting 4th in December this season.

But what I’ve conveyed is in black and white. So we can review when he does go to see if what I’m conveying today is accurate.

13 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

No in terms of his man management and way he operates. Patience is now threadbare.

When he goes will be purely down to performances on the pitch to reinforce the feeling he’s not the man to take the club forward in the way they want.

Put it this way, we definitely won’t be sitting 4th in December this season.

But what I’ve conveyed is in black and white. So we can review when he does go to see if what I’m conveying today is accurate.

You said GA falling out with the captain was the final straw.  Based on my knowledge of the term 'final straw' that would mean it's the end, done, finito - the sacking is happening imminently, no?

Him being punted in November after us being shite for four months does not make what you said today accurate.

1 minute ago, Desp said:

You said GA falling out with the captain was the final straw.  Based on my knowledge of the term 'final straw' that would mean it's the end, done, finito - the sacking is happening imminently, no?

Him being punted in November after us being shite for four months does not make what you said today accurate.

Fair enough. Don’t shoot the messenger because their use of language doesn’t rest easy with you.

Guest Cooper Stand
1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

I have it on good authority the longest he’ll be here is Xmas.

Alienating the club captain was the final straw for decision makers.

Aye very good, I have it on good authority that the team is in Sligo tonight, but I didn't make it up. Spill the beans on yir good authority or please stop posting made up rubbish. 

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I don't want to concern anybody but Sligo have just signed a winger on loan from RB Leipzig?

I doubt he'll be eligible to play tonight anyway?

Regardless, I doubt RB Leipzig are sending many of their top talents to play in the League of Ireland.  

Re. Alexander - regardless of how much patience the board have with him, a poor start to the season and further bad blood with the fanbase will pretty much make his position untenable.  Whether this lasts up until November/December or earlier remains to be seen.

However there doesn't seem to be any real point in sacking him now - there's barely enough time for any new manager to be brought in and/or any new signings made before the window shuts.

It'll be a halfway house I think - Sept/Oct and he'll be away.

1 minute ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Re. Alexander - regardless of how much patience the board have with him, a poor start to the season and further bad blood with the fanbase will pretty much make his position untenable.  Whether this lasts up until November/December or earlier remains to be seen.

However there doesn't seem to be any real point in sacking him now - there's barely enough time for any new manager to be brought in and/or any new signings made before the window shuts.

It'll be a halfway house I think - Sept/Oct and he'll be away.

If we lose tonight I suspect the tissue paper thin patience the support has with him will be completely gone. 

But what I’ve conveyed is in black and white. 

There's a final straw in black and white from a good source that regardless of how well we're doing he'll be sacked before Christmas?

Eh?  

If that's true you have to wonder what kind of research the club did on the guy before hiring him, as it's been pretty clear since the outset how he goes about his business. 

Am I right when I read that we’ve only scored over 2 goals in three games since Alexander arrived? Formartine, Queen of the South & St Mirren.

I can see is scoring two tonight but if Sligo score, we could be in bother.