Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

It is interesting seeing the chat on twitter about we need to find a KvV backup when I look back and think, who the hell was Moult's, Sutton's, Higdon's or McDonald's. 

Of course, the chat is mostly from the same people moaning about not giving youngsters a chance 

In case it was missed, posted this a fortnight ago, just to give context

Looking back I took a 3/4 gap between seasons to illustrate the type of player we had as backup to the main striker in the past:

2006/07 - Skippy

• David Clarkson (20) 27x in squad, 17 starts, 10 subs on, 8 subs off
  • Callum Elliot (19) 15x in squad, 10 starts, 5 subs on, 7 subs off

2010/11 - Handsome John

• Shagger McHugh - (18) 34x in squad, 0 starts, 17 subs on, 0 subs off
  • Esteban - (23) 31x in squad, 3 starts, 10 subs on, 3 subs off

2014/15 - Handsome John

• Lee Erwin-ish (20) 41x in squad, 22 starts, 16 subs on, 9 subs off
  • Craig Moore (19) 19x in squad, 1 start, 8 subs on, 1 subs off

2018/19 - Curtis Main

• Danny Johnstone (25) 43x in squad, 14 starts, 14 subs on, 7 subs off
  • Connor Salmon (32) 22x in squad, 9 starts, 13 subs on, 2 subs off

16 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

It is interesting seeing the chat on twitter about we need to find a KvV backup when I look back and think, who the hell was Moult's, Sutton's, Higdon's or McDonald's. 

Of course, the chat is mostly from the same people moaning about not giving youngsters a chance 

I think the thing is that all of those examples, they played in front twos.

If Higdon was out, we could play Ojamaa and Murphy up top and still pose something of a threat.

In Sutton’s early days we could have played Sheridan and Clarkson in his absence, then Anier and Faddy when he came back and by the end he himself was back up to Erwin and McDonald.

I think the problem is now that we play one central striker, it’s not attractive for a centre forward to come and compete with Van Veen. Whereas back then, a second striker could come in and expect to play.

If Van Veen is missing, which he often is, we just don’t have a striker.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Happy to be distracted by tales of ‘Well fans making their way across the Emerald Isle.

Leave early tomorrow morning EDI to DUB. 3 hour train journey to Sligo and hopefully there by 16:15. 

I only noticed last night that KO is actually 7pm and not 7:45pm as last week. 

Looking forward to the trip. The football less so 🤔. We simply need to be better than last week and hope Sligo performance is similar to Bala in the last round. In saying that there is no chance we will be underestimated as I suspect they may have done to Bala. 

Certainly hope we can score a goal and the 1st goal or it could b a long evening. Sligo will dismiss it but there is now an expectation from their fans and hopefully that will help us. They don’t think we are a good team and they have nothing to b afraid of. Which after last week is fully understandable.

That said we can and must play better. Can they defend as well as they did last week. Their fans have been talking about prize money and ground suitability for next round. Apparently the Showgrounds would be unlikely to be allowed to host next round. Let’s hope it is not an issue for them !!!

Alexanderball sucked the life out of me last season to the point I stopped going, stopped listening to his delusional pressers and only really checked the teams to laugh at the random line ups and keep an eye on the score out of boredom and habit. After a while I stopped caring as to whether we won or lost which as anyone who knows me and my approach to Motherwell would find unthinkable. 

I don’t know why I or anyone else was surprised by the Sligo shambles but I guess we live in hope.

I’m now at the point where I’d take losing to Sligo, Inverness and the opening 5/6 league games if it meant he’d be binned and we could hopefully begin to find some (false) hope and enjoyment in football again.

I won't pretend I'm not as scunnered as everyone else but did we not technically end last season pretty high up the form tables? Starting from the (incredibly selective point) St Mirren game onwards our record was W3 D1 L3, with the losses being the OF and Tannadice.

The Sligo performance was more reminiscent of the January- April losing streak than it was the run-in but hopefully some of that can be attributed to rustiness.

26 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

There’s three of us going Edinburgh to Knock tomorrow morning and then an hours bus north to Sligo. None of us have tickets so it’ll be fanzone for us (looking like The Garavogue).

I considered travelling without a ticket but it doesn’t have the appeal of a Nancy, although I suspect that everyone who went to Nancy went to the game.

27 minutes ago, ropy said:

I considered travelling without a ticket but it doesn’t have the appeal of a Nancy, although I suspect that everyone who went to Nancy went to the game.

I'd imagine there will be a few tickets floating around on the day...I think that at least some ticketless supporters will see it.

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Did the club re-ballot the returned tickets?

Judging by the clubs twitter replies - 2000 out of the 300 tickets would have been returned due to all folk that won't be back.

47 minutes ago, ropy said:

On an optimistic note, has any one looked to see if Stavanger is a party town?

On a similarly optimistic note, anyone any idea what sort of ticket allocation Viking/Sparta offer to away supporters?

To be honest the game would have been the worst part of the trip.

1 hour ago, stu92 said:

On a similarly optimistic note, anyone any idea what sort of ticket allocation Viking/Sparta offer to away supporters?

We'd only be officially entitled to 700-900 but you'd hope more would be offered, neither side would sell out the home sections against us.