Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

57 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

When we signed mcginn I was hoping that was to get us to a back 3, but instead he seems to be ahead of O'Donnell now (unless it's a fitness thing). For me, if money is limited, was a replacement right back really that high on the list?

I'd previously dismissed the SOD rumours but from what I hear now I was wrong...so on that basis a new RB was definitely needed and McGinn therefore a pretty solid signing. 

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Aye. It just feels really stupid that we have our 7th choice forward sorted while we still need guys who can actually play 90 minutes.

Take me back to 2012 when we didn't have seven forwards and someone at Fir Park knew what a trim squad was.

We'd be as well resigning Michael Higdon. I mean he's 38, probably weighs about 19 stone and hasn't kicked a ball in 5 years but I'd bet he's still more mobile than Van Veen. 

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

the signing policy has been awful.

we had one of the worst defenses in the league last year and we offered new contracts to Mugabi, Lamie and Mcginley during the season. An extension for Scott Fox. 18 month contract for Joe Efford.

We went into the summer with over 20 first team players under contract. We have signed 1 defender, 1 midfielder and 1 forward.

Every season there is talk about slimming down the squad and not carrying too many players but every year we have at least 4 or 5 guys who are complete dead weight. Either not good enough to be on the park or obviously below the standard of player we should be looking at.

Like wtf is a Robbie Mahon? Is he ever going to get on the park or is he the next Justin Amaluzor who might get 45 minutes if Alexander throws his hands up and rolls the dice when we are down a couple of goals.

Speaking to a few Sligo guys in Club100 and they can't believe Mahon isn't getting a game for us based on what they've seen of him in Ireland

They might just have been at the wind up as I don't know his playing stats but told them we wouldn't know as we've never seen him on the park.

Lamie is serviceable for us at centre half and was one of the few decent performers last night, but it's a sign of how mediocre a gang Alexander has assembled that he's gone from laughing stock to regular starter. He's a Championship player or lower end Premiership squad player at best. The same with Carroll, McGinley, Ojalaa and Mugabi. I'm reserving judgement on Sol til I"ve seen if the pre-season has done him any good.

We won't luck our way into the top 6 with these same guys again, last season was an anomaly in how many teams were equally shite and bunched together. This time out I can see this squad being caught in a dogfight at the bottom right from the off.

Deficiencies have not been addressed and we will again, like last season, leak crazy amounts of goals through unforced errors similar to Mugabi's last night, and when Van Veen is off it up front and your bench option is Joe fucking Efford, you're never going to outscored teams to make up for defensive calamities.

The season's not even started yet and I'm sick of it already. Hearing that there was a Tweet last night from someone saying Lucketti offered their old man outside after the game, mental if true and maybe a sign that the management team are feeling the pressure. Unfortunately not enough for them to f**k off, sadly.

34 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

What was the script wae the Footy Adventures vlogger having to leave early,says he was made to feel unwelcome ??

I would assume they want nothing additional to identify them publicly, and told him to bolt.

The defence is all contracted hence the problem. They were combined last season responsible for a dismal goal difference. And yet here we are with exactly the same players bar McGinn joining. The only thing I have actually agreed with Alexander is that our defence was poor last season. One of his rare utterances that was actually correct. 

What is the script with SODs @Handsome Devil. I thought he was mediocre last season but your post suggests a bigger problem. 

I have said it before and will say it again. Alexander has made his targets whether by luck or by judgement. Qualifying for Europe was above expectations of ALL of us. And we may yet turn it around v Sligo.

I just wish he would stop with the overly cheesy post match interviews. No one would be upset if he said we were understandably rusty and we did not perform as well as we had hoped. We need to up it big time for next week and the players all of them need to give more, be more clinical and quicker of thought. We all would have said pretty decent summation. But all this we played well. We had enough chances to win is just driving a further wedge between fans and Management. No need for it. Protect the players by all means but just tell the truth for once for f*cks sake🤬

Edited by welldaft

8 minutes ago, welldaft said:

The defence is all contracted hence the problem. They were combined last season responsible for a dismal goal difference. And yet here we are with exactly the same players bar McGinn joining. The only thing I have actually agreed with Alexander is that our defence was poor last season. One of his rare utterances that was actually correct. 

What is the script with SODs @Handsome Devil. I thought he was mediocre last season but your post suggests a bigger problem. 

I have said it before and will say it again. Alexander has made his targets whether by luck or by judgement. Qualifying for Europe was above expectations of ALL of us. And we may yet turn it around v Sligo.

I just wish he would stop with the overly cheesy post match interviews. No one would be upset if he said we were understandably rusty and we did not perform as well as we had hoped. We need to up it big time for next week and the players all of them need to give more, be more clinical and quicker of thought. We all would have said pretty decent summation. But all this we played well. We had enough chances to win is just driving a further wedge between fans and Management. No need for it. Protect the players by all means but just tell the truth for once for f*cks sake🤬

'You can't handle the truth'...sure I heard this somewhere before 🤔😄

36 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I see our former head of media is having a weird one tonight.

Cuttla weeks at West Ham and he's turning into Danny Dyer.

9 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Yeah this is the issue. It's patently obvious that McGinley isn't good enough, yet he extends his deal. Carroll likewise is utter gash and, although he has time left on his contract, we should have been actively trying to move him on and upgrade at left back. Lamie, although he's been better, is still a very average player for the level. Perfect opportunity to get him off the books with the Dundee situation, and now it's being hailed as a coup that he backtracked and signed up again after they got relegated. What the actual f**k? Is this the level of player we're now being expected to be excited to go and watch every week?.

How Alexander is managing to continue to hoodwink the board into thinking half of this team is remotely close to good enough is astounding. The good ship Motherwell has some choppy waters ahead and an iceberg coming into view on the horizon. We need a new captain and crew onboard soon or we'll be fucking sinking.

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I saw the bit of his video where he said he left to avoid being hounded again. Sounds like he got grief at the march to the ground and afore the game. Dunno from who but he left early to avoid them again.

From what I saw, he was filming fairly close to the march, was quickly pushed away and told to get to f**k. Nothing too major - just some folk who’d had a bit to drink. Having their faces plastered all over YouTube probably isn’t the best of ideas either. 

Edited by PSJ.84

Cuttla weeks at West Ham and he's turning into Danny Dyer.

Just wait til the actual crackpots that follow West Ham get fed up of his twee pish after they get horsed aff Leeds or some other dross they have a weird casual rivalry with and he’ll maybe see what abuse is like in person as opposed to making up random claims about someone he worked next door to for years and never once brought up these issues.

He’s aff the deep end.

Beat off Sligo without laying a glove on them

Support Raging

Strict Liability fine from Uefa in the post

Ticket shenanigans in the Main Stand after they closed the Tractor Seats

Ex-head of media losing the plot on twitter

All in all, a highly successful first game of the season.