Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Was discussing with a mate who we'd pick for next week...grim stuff. There was agreement we'd both prefer 3-5-2 but neither of us reckoned it'll happen. 

On that basis, the defence will be the same with SSJ in for Mugabi surely and beyond that who knows. I'd have Slattery as six behind Cornelius and Tierney, Morris as 10 behind KVV (only if fit) and either Shields or Efford. Far from ideal but if there's an XI in this squad which ticks all the boxes I'd like to see it.

28 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Were they the people that hounded out the Footy Adventures guy?

I saw the bit of his video where he said he left to avoid being hounded again. Sounds like he got grief at the march to the ground and afore the game. Dunno from who but he left early to avoid them again.

9 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Fair fucks to those involved in the display last night. March to the ground was excellent too 

E502BB98-F572-46AA-B025-4DC65515A486.jpeg

Have we ever won a big game where the wee guys put on some TIFO pish.

Does it look great because up close it looked like a lot of cheap plastic and I was disgusted at the waste leaving the ground.

Have we ever won a big game where the wee guys put on some TIFO pish.
Does it look great because up close it looked like a lot of cheap plastic and I was disgusted at the waste leaving the ground.

I didn’t think it was particularly good last night tbh compared to previous efforts. The main banners were either too small or too far back in the stand to really look good and from the look of what I assume were extras stuck to lampposts on airbles road, the colours of the plastic flags were more maroon and orange.

So squad trimming, budget reduction talk has been going on for a few months now.

Here’s a question. If we finished 9th or 10th which would have been a strong possibility if any of those around is had a bit more about them, where would the squad be at this point?

Definetly No Europe (-£350k) and 4/5 league places worse off (-£300k).

Would we have lost O’Hara, Woolery Roberts, Donnelly and a host of fringe players with nobody to replace them?

I said way back it would be criminal if we didn’t do business to allow us to compete and we haven’t. Same parts need strengthening today that needed strengthening upon reflection in mid May looking back over the season.

Granted personnel can only make so much of a difference. Not pulling up culprits and even worse instructing them to do certain fruitless tasks is chronic.

2 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

If you want to trigger reply guys, that's how you do it.

On it's own, not a big deal, but we've had about 30 of these this year.

Even before I'd hit play I had my 'WELL JUST WIN SOME BLOODY GAMES THEN' tweet mentally composed. 

Part of me thinks they're on the wind up now and are trying to collect #triggered responses. It's beyond tone deaf otherwise.

39 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

So squad trimming, budget reduction talk has been going on for a few months now.

Here’s a question. If we finished 9th or 10th which would have been a strong possibility if any of those around is had a bit more about them, where would the squad be at this point?

Definetly No Europe (-£350k) and 4/5 league places worse off (-£300k).

Would we have lost O’Hara, Woolery Roberts, Donnelly and a host of fringe players with nobody to replace them?

I said way back it would be criminal if we didn’t do business to allow us to compete and we haven’t. Same parts need strengthening today that needed strengthening upon reflection in mid May looking back over the season.

Granted personnel can only make so much of a difference. Not pulling up culprits and even worse instructing them to do certain fruitless tasks is chronic.

the signing policy has been awful.

we had one of the worst defenses in the league last year and we offered new contracts to Mugabi, Lamie and Mcginley during the season. An extension for Scott Fox. 18 month contract for Joe Efford.

We went into the summer with over 20 first team players under contract. We have signed 1 defender, 1 midfielder and 1 forward.

Every season there is talk about slimming down the squad and not carrying too many players but every year we have at least 4 or 5 guys who are complete dead weight. Either not good enough to be on the park or obviously below the standard of player we should be looking at.

Like wtf is a Robbie Mahon? Is he ever going to get on the park or is he the next Justin Amaluzor who might get 45 minutes if Alexander throws his hands up and rolls the dice when we are down a couple of goals.

15 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Like wtf is a Robbie Mahon? Is he ever going to get on the park or is he the next Justin Amaluzor who might get 45 minutes if Alexander throws his hands up and rolls the dice when we are down a couple of goals.

It's amazing how, when things are going wrong, every minor thing is suddenly amplified beyond all proportion. I didn't expect Mahon to get a run yesterday but he was an unused sub against Thistle last Saturday and Ive spent longer than I'm proud of wondering why he didn't get a go then.

Also notable, Alexander has signed or re-signed virtually everyone in our squad yet reached 90 minutes last night having not used his full allocation of subs. I'm not sure what that says but I'm certain it's not good...you just want to scream into a pillow right now.

I'm not about to make bold, and obviously false statements, about chucking it but watching last night was as close as I think I've ever come to seriously wondering just why I bother investing so much time, money and emotion only to be generally bored senseless and occasionally booted in the baws.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

When we signed mcginn I was hoping that was to get us to a back 3, but instead he seems to be ahead of O'Donnell now (unless it's a fitness thing). For me, if money is limited, was a replacement right back really that high on the list?

I also assumed that adding the two attacking midfielders, rather than some across the front three types, meant a change of system too, but that doesn't look to be the case either.

Last night was awful. The fact I'm still paying off my season ticket on my credit card makes me feel even worse. Same pish as last season. How have we not signed a backup to KVV? The fact we played him when he clearly wasn't fit should be ringing alarm bells. Absolutely no urgency in our play, it was like watching over 60s football in the build up. So disappointing. Bumper crowd, a chance to attract fans to come back on the regular and we turn it that performance. I don't even care if we lost next week, and we've not even started the league campaign yet.