Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

I've not checked but I assume there is a cohort of fans on SO and Twitter which is convinced we'd have won that had Woolery stayed?

Well we had no one who was could go direct at the opposition tonight. Efford and Morris as inverted wingers was a particular lowlight.

Bevis Mugabi isn't a centre half. 

Barry Magure is a Championship player at best. 

If you can't trust a manager with a transfer budget, he shouldn't be at the football club. There's still time to change it, get rid of the c**t. 

Same old shite. Not good enough.

I never want to see that midfield 3 together again in my life. Not helped by how split Alexander plays them so it's practically Barry alone.

Carroll, Morris and Spittal looked like they'd never seen each other before and kept getting in each others way, but they lets just play 2 pre-season games they'll be fine.

Too slow, pedestrian and as always with an Alexander team, no movement, no dragging players out of position until wee Tierney does something.

I've been a bit presser of getting Slattery in the team, but that 2nd half, he hasn't learned anything and still to immature in a game he should be commanding and dictating the play if he wants to progress higher.

Literally would only give slight pass marks to Kelly (minimal to do), Lamie and McGinn - both seemed at least serviceable. 

13 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Who, Alexander?  As shite as it was (and has been since Christmas), what has actually been changed to fit with what he wants?  I got the impression the change in our transfer policy was going to happen regardless of who was in charge.

Where should we start? Hiring some medical lecturer to manage the scotland national teams physio. Sidelining Keith Lasley unchallenged. Binning Mo Ross and O’Carroll , actual good coaches - because they coached. Losing a top sport scientist to Celtic because his face didnt fit. Losing one of the best gk coaches in the country because his face didnt fit. Hiring endless pals from salford. Not playing young players, which is supposedly a cornerstone of the club, and getting away with it. Trivial shit. Swapping dugouts. Swapping what half we warm up in at half time. Provoking Watt into going with mis-management. What else?

1 minute ago, one m in Motherwell said:

I somehow doubt that the root cause of tonight’s non performance lies with the departure of Maurice Ross, but there we are.

Correct, shuttle runs and keepy uppies away from the Cooper stand defined things tonight

Some laugh to have your season wrecked after only 1 game but with a full house, great tifo display, cracking atmosphere, brand new pitch in mint condition, perfect playing conditions and new improved elevated view from the East Stand I think we all knew what was coming next…. 

Still, at least our expectations for the new season are now rock bottom and you’ve never too far to fall when that’s your starting point.

The only thing that would give me any hope for the season ahead is waking up tomorrow to find Alexander has been removed from his post. It should’ve happened last season after Perth but if the board have any sense they’ll see the same old shite that was dished up last year is still going to be continue to on offer whilst he’s still in charge. 

We have assembled a genuinely atrocious set of footballers and even worse tactics. I can’t take another season of watching this and would’ve go as far as to say I’m done even before a league ball has been kicked in anger.

Only thing more embarrassing than the on field performance was our “Bois” singing “you only sing in the chapel”. A shower of absolute pubeless cretins. They only don’t understand how to queue to get in to a game.

Alexxnder out!

It was beyond a farce that the players were warming up at the bottom of the Cooper whilst fans were moving from the Cooper to the East via the pitch and walking in between the players trying to warm up. The Sports Scientist was going off his chump at the stewards

1 hour ago, Lukovic said:

The way I see it I don't think we were awful or good tbh. Feels like we need a break of the ball to score but end up losing to a stupid mistake.

Pretty much this for me. An awful mistake from Mugabi which I could see coming as soon as the ball was in the air. There was an inevitability about it. 

I was actually confident we would score the way we finished the 1st half. But Sligo to be fair harried us and defended further up the park early 2nd half which seem to unsettle us even more than the 1st half. 

They are a very fit team and a full time outfit so their match sharpness was always going to be noticeable and it was.

People may laugh, but I still feel we have the better team. We looked leggy and lacked match sharpness. Too many poor decisions in the final 3rd. Felt Morris started well as did Spittal but both kind of fell away. Van Veen and Slattery probably had one of there poorest games. I would give pass marks only to Kelly, McGinn, Lamie. Maguire is a jobbing midfielder. He is too slow and constantly passes sideways or level with player instead of infront. 

What worried me the most was the lack of urgency or fight. At times it was almost as if we were resigned to the result. 

I saw us lose 1-0 to Llanelli and go onto win the tie comfortably. Truth is Sligo are no Llanelli. They are a lot better. Can we still get through - we can. But every player is going to have to improve considerably and we will need a little luck in terms of breaks and bounce of the ball.

A tough night but salvageable. More pressure on Sligo at home. They damn near lost to Bala Town. Let’s hope we get an early breakthrough and push on. 

Edited by welldaft

Only 3 areas of consolation;

* Goals away rule no longer applies.

* We could/ should have lost by more .

* Tie isn't dead 

Hopefully with another week's training and the benefit now of seeing Sligo close up we will see an improved performance.

We surely can't be as ineffective as we were tonight. Can't we??

10 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

I somehow doubt that the root cause of tonight’s non performance lies with the departure of Maurice Ross, but there we are.

This dismisive sort of thing the reason he goes unchallenged 

I was always a bit worried that we were going into what was going to be a hard hard game on the back of a bounce game and a lukewarm friendly and boy did it show tonight.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I wonder if it was wise swanning off to Austria instead of getting 2 or 3 more 90 mins under our belts against decent opposition before this tie.

The only positive for me is we at least started to look more "into it" fitness wise as the game progressed but still firing on 2 cylinders.

Massive improvement needed if we're to save this one but at least it's only half time.

I posted last year, asking when was the most appropriate age to start taking yer kid to the football...right now, there is no fuckin' way I'm taking him to this debacle...

I started following 'Well 88, 89 at 13, 14 years old...we were pish, but little did I know, that in less than 2 or 3 years my ultimate high as a fan was going to be achieved...

Point being, I was an impressionable teenager at the time, I was invested into the "brand"...my kid is at the other end, I want him to experience this lifetime of pain that I'm in, - (no, not really, but aye 🤪🤣) - but already his best wee pal is a die hard Rangers fan - (due to dad!)- so I fear the long game...other than totally disowning him...

Point being, if we were a far better team than we currently are, I wouldn't be at risk of having to disown my 5 year old son?! 🤷🏻‍♂️🤪🤣

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

Maybe a couple of more practice matches would have helped.

I was saying this earlier to friends and had been thinking the same.  To go into any European tie with a bounce game v a second tier Austrian side and friendly against Partick Thistle tells me were criminally underprepared. Sligo have had 24/5 competitive games. Whilst we could not hope to replicate that I think the Manager and club have ballsed up on this front.

I know it is not easy to organise games at this time of year and then you have to worry about injuries, but no one is telling me (and the evidence tonight supported it) that we were ready despite the gospel according to Graeme Alexander (press conference).