Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

You were getting an upvote till I read this bit and my heart sank.

If we're at a stage where it's felt that we can't source a player better than either then it's time to give up football and take up something else. The bar is pretty low.

It’s just being realistic - we’ve tried to sign countless left backs since Stevie Hammell retired and each has been as disappointing as the next. If the players we are scouting, that are in our price range, are of similar ability to the two we have, would you change for changes sake? If we were able to identify an upgrade then I’d be all for us going for him.

What I’m hoping we avoid, in theory, is signing a left back of the same ability, leaving us no further forward, with us scrambling to get Carroll off the wage bill for not much gain.

I’m not saying I don’t want, or we don’t need, a better left back, I’m saying we don’t need a third and I’m not convinced we’d be able to go out and sign a quality one for the first time in 14 years at the moment.

As much as I would love a new left back, we're only realistically getting one if we huckle Carroll out the door and there's been no hint of that.

Agree we don't need more numbers for the sake of it other than an alternative to KVV but a proper centre back and a proper midfielder is probably the difference between fighting for the top six and being nervous about relegation. 

And while they're not easily found, with the world now our transfer oyster I refuse to believe it's impossible. The big story about going to that transfer conference in Spain, for example, looks a little out of place with your summer business being SPFL freebies!

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It’s just being realistic - we’ve tried to sign countless left backs since Stevie Hammell retired and each has been as disappointing as the next. If the players we are scouting, that are in our price range, are of similar ability to the two we have, would you change for changes sake? If we were able to identify an upgrade then I’d be all for us going for him.

What I’m hoping we avoid, in theory, is signing a left back of the same ability, leaving us no further forward, with us scrambling to get Carroll off the wage bill for not much gain.

I’m not saying I don’t want, or we don’t need, a better left back, I’m saying we don’t need a third and I’m not convinced we’d be able to go out and sign a quality one for the first time in 14 years at the moment.

Agree with this.

The other thing, specifically about Carroll, is he's actually shown himself to be a perfectly serviceable Premiership level full back in the past and someone who has above average delivery. Taking a cursory glance, he had the most assists for a non-OF full back in the league (5 in 25 games, behind Tavernier - 13 in 35 and Ralston - 9 in 28).

There's an argument that our issues in the full back areas last season were as much down to the way the team was set up as it was individual players so there's a fair chance that an alternative played in that position would have been equally exposed.

Edited by capt_oats

"“If I wanted to be popular I would sell ice cream."

Yes, but which flavours of ice cream? 

I'm all for some exotic concoctions, or even a high-end vanilla, but a Shit-cream Sandwich with a cherry on top isn't on my wish-list

I think we should be told ;)

9 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

You were getting an upvote till I read this bit and my heart sank.

If we're at a stage where it's felt that we can't source a player better than either then it's time to give up football and take up something else. The bar is pretty low.

:lol: Give it a rest ffs.

I find the Carroll/Mcginley stuff a bit weird tbh, both are flawed players for sure but I don't think either are drastically out of their depth in this side- it isn't like we're choosing between Tony Straker and Zaine Francis-Angol every week.

I wouldn't mind an upgrade on them like, but fullbacks as a whole seem to have struggled in GA's system, something that I imagine/hope will be worked on this summer as well.

Aye, very much agree with others on the LB situation.
We have two senior left backs in the squad who have, at times, shown themselves to be capable enough players at this level with Carroll in his first season even verging on pretty good imo.
Given the chat about a lower budget for this season, the chances of GA spunking another first team wage on a third left back who, given the market we operate in is unlikely to be much, if any, better than what we already have is somewhere between none and f**k all.

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Raspberry Ripple for me, please.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Agree with this.

The other thing, specifically about Carroll, is he's actually shown himself to be a perfectly serviceable Premiership level full back in the past and someone who has above average delivery. Taking a cursory glance, he had the most assists for a non-OF full back in the league (5 in 25 games, behind Tavernier - 13 in 35 and Ralston - 9 in 28).

There's an argument that our issues in the full back areas last season were as much down to the way the team was set up as it was individual players so there's a fair chance that an alternative played in that position would have been equally exposed.

This is the position I arrived at in the latter half of last season when thinking about O'Donnell's performances. I was in the weird spot of watching him play quite a lot of poor games but at the same time not thinking we should be replacing him and I think I came to the view the O'Donnell is a good player who is just having to do the job of two players in a system that leaves him exposed with 3 immobile CMs in front of him. 

The same could be applied to Carroll I think. Carroll isn't brilliant defensively but IMO Carroll is fine, especially if he could cut out his moments where he completely loses his composure. With chat of us potentially moving to a new system with 2 wings backs, that should play far more the strengths of both players so I'm pretty much fine with Carroll being our starting left back. 

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'm all for some exotic concoctions, or even a high-end vanilla, but a Shit-cream Sandwich with a cherry on top isn't on my wish-list

I think we should be told ;)

Is paneer ice cream a thing ? 

25 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Is paneer ice cream a thing ? 

I'm thinking a paneer jelly could work, perhaps with some kulfi ice cream on the side?

I'm definitely keen on trying a cola Calippo, I've never seen one.    I imagine the sensation of having your teeth melted and brain frozen at the same time would be... 'interesting' :D 

I imagine the sensation of having your teeth melted and brain frozen at the same time would be... 'interesting' [emoji3] 

Pretty sure I experienced this a few times watching us between Jan-May.

I don't necessarily think there will be a "ticket scramble" but has anyone been contacted by the club asking if you plan on going to the away leg?

I've had issues receiving emails from the club so just wondering if I've missed it. 

Brief match preview for tonight's first leg between Bala & SLigo

Sligo Rovers v Bala Town: Everything You Need To Know | Balls.ie