Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, Nadroj said:

Liam Donnelly - yay, nay, or meh?

If he could guarantee to stay fit then I would say yay. But that is a big if. 53 appearances over 4 seasons. 

Always felt he looked as if he was running in treacle, but he could be a very effective defensive midfielder and as has been mentioned has a decent shot on him. So likely to score the odd screamer. 

So add me to the meh list due to proneness to injury…

12 hours ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Ah, fitness consiglieri Mich’el…what could have been…

Ah, the enigma that is/was Mich'el Parker, has always intrigued me. Bounced around numerous clubs without ever making an appearance, and in an age where even youth players have a bit of profile and online visibility, the bold yin is virtually ghost-like.

Kudos to the guy, and in particular his agent. Obviously not a footballer in any way, shape or form, yet has spent years being employed as such and earning a, presumably, modest crust.

A quick Google search (he doesn't exist on wiki) tells us briefly that after leaving us at the end of his contract in January, he pitched up at Linfield, but again I think he failed to feature and is not in their squad listings for the upcoming season. They still have Ben Hall and Christy Manzinga though.

Where will he pitch up next? Keep your eye out for the next update on 'Mich'el Parker - (non) Footballing Nomad'.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Nadroj said:

Donnelly's a weird one in that I'd have been absolutely fine with him sticking around but equally him moving on felt like a completely natural parting of ways.

Robinson signed him as a centre half but didn't play him (quelle suprise). The gist seemed to be that he'd struggled with the strength and conditioning aspect and just generally struggled with adapting to the physical side of the Scottish game. The result was he was regularly picking up knocks - he only made 7 league appearances that season (6 starts, 1 sub).

2nd season he found a niche in the team as a midfielder with Ally Gorrin having left. He slotted in well alongside Polworth and Campbell - although the season was curtailed he finished our joint top scorer on 11 goals.

3rd season his knee fell apart after the first league game and that was that. Season a complete write-off, he didn't kick a baw again in 20/21.

4th season Robinson had resigned the season prior, Alexander pretty much admitted that on reflection he'd pushed Donnelly a bit too hard in pre-season and it meant he missed the opening months. Then when he did get a run in the side it coincided with our form sailing wildly off a cliff.

I think that's the rub, he has the appearance of a defender who wants to be a midfielder and has some (but not all) of the qualities to play in there. He worked in that role because Robinson's midfield 3 was a bit looser and probably leaned more on the things Donnelly is good at and benefitted from Allan Campbell, whereas Alexander's set up exposed him a bit more and didn't have Allan Campbell.

Either way, he's currently in and around the NI set up and IIRC was their record cap holder at u21 level with 24. He's a useful player to have around the squad and tbh, if McInnes figures him out then he'd be solid first team player.

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

A quick Google search (he doesn't exist on wiki) tells us briefly that after leaving us at the end of his contract in January, he pitched up at Linfield, but again I think he failed to feature and is not in their squad listings for the upcoming season. They still have Ben Hall and Christy Manzinga though.

I noticed big Christy has just signed for a team in Hungary the other day (to be clear it was a story on Cedric's IG that made me look rather than me following Linfield's Twitter).

Edited by capt_oats

Appreciate that it’s obviously St Mirren related but we got Keith Lasley on our podcast for a chat last night if anyone fancies checking it out.

8 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Appreciate that it’s obviously St Mirren related but we got Keith Lasley on our podcast for a chat last night if anyone fancies checking it out.

It'll be interesting to see how much Lasley takes from Alan Burrows' approach as I don't think it's going too far to say that he has become a bit of a role model for Chief Exec roles at clubs of our size. I thought the decision St Mirren took with OF tickets was instructive as it's something that Lasley obviously saw play out at Motherwell without the sky falling in (and the fact it gained a lot of good will from the supporters).

Within the bounds of football rivalry, I'd like to see him make a success of his new role as he always seemed to me to  be one of the good guys.

1 hour ago, fat_tony said:
14 hours ago, Phillips455 said:
Just FYI in case anyone missed it, the ECL 2nd round home tickets are now on sale for season ticket holders £15 for an Adults and probably less for others.

Should be going on public sale soon as well.

Where did you see this? There's nothing on the website or Twitter as far as I can see.

It’s in the Eticketing Motherwell site for season ticket holders.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

It'll be interesting to see how much Lasley takes from Alan Burrows' approach as I don't think it's going too far to say that he has become a bit of a role model for Chief Exec roles at clubs of our size. I thought the decision St Mirren took with OF tickets was instructive as it's something that Lasley obviously saw play out at Motherwell without the sky falling in (and the fact it gained a lot of good will from the supporters).

Within the bounds of football rivalry, I'd like to see him make a success of his new role as he always seemed to me to  be one of the good guys.

He definitely is one of the good guys, so enthusiastic and seems incredibly determined to succeed at us.

29 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I am on there just now and see no links to any euro games emoji848.png

Are you logged in as a season ticket holder? There should be a reserved ticket option, possibly a red mark under your account.  It’s not there for me anymore as I have bought mine.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ropy said:

Are you logged in as a season ticket holder? There should be a reserved ticket option, possibly a red mark under your account.  It’s not there for me anymore as I have bought mine.

Yep, been on there logged in with my season ticket number and under my account there is a menu for reserved seats, manage tickets, memberships...nothing under any of those. Anybody else got tickets?

Screenshot 2022-07-01 110046.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-01 110011.jpg

Edited by Well Well

52 minutes ago, Swello said:

My friends and I turned up to the end of season event at Dalziel Park a bit late. In fact late enough that we crowded into the back of the players / staff as they were just about to enter the main room.  We hung back so they could get introduced and make their big entrance, but the thing that stuck with me was Keith (who was last to go in) turning back to us and giving us the biggest, warmest grin.
I tell you, it would have cheered up a funeral cortege.  And the corpse would've given a thumbs-up and a smile back too.

I couldn't help but take an instant huge liking to the chap.   So yeah, good luck to Keith :)

20 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

My friends and I turned up to the end of season event at Dalziel Park a bit late.

Always nice to hear when celebs have been kind and humble to waiting staff.

12 hours ago, Nadroj said:

Had a 6 week spell where he kept scoring. Likes falling asleep in midfield and letting the opposition do whatever they fancy. Good at kicking folk. 

Meh. 

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I got pretty fed up with Donnelly towards the end. That stupid red card against Hibs in a game we should have won was a prime example. 

I got pretty fed up that we took what, 2 points off that fucking humpty Hibs team all season? Astonishing.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd also just like to show love to Las.

Fucking great guy and always lovely when I spoke to him.

Keith Lasley once told me I had a good beard on a pandemic based Zoom quiz. Best day of my life tbqhwy.