Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

22 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Obviously he is a Well player now, but to clarify on the 2nd point above - Motherwell are paying him a decent salary. You tried to get him on a PCA in Jan with a higher salary on offer than he was on at Hibs.................

Top half sides tend to pay more

43 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Still to be confirmed.

I doubt we would be paying more than Hibs. I mean you guys were reportedly paying Mueller £8-10k per week 😱. Wage bill will be double ours at least. Anyway we shall see if it comes off or not. 

McGinn's headline wage would presumably have been three years old and his current number at Hibs would have included the 20% (?) Corona cut they had? So given we came through the pandemic well, and indeed to the outside world are absolutely loaded, I don't think it's impossible we're offering more in this instance, even if Hibs will normally be paying way more than us.

7 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Right back is pretty low down in our priority list surely.

Exactly, if we’re in the process of streamlining the squad, adding to a position which many feel is well covered goes is a bit of a head scratcher. Seems he’s been pursued for a while however so must be part of a masterplan

A very meh signing. Will no doubt do us a turn but not one to get excited about.

Let me know when we've signed a 24 year old "anywhere across the front 3" striker from Kettering Town who has scored 5 goals in his entire career.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

SOD couldn't get a move worth taking when leaving Killie on a high for free, he's surely not going to find someone to buy him now.

I'd heard a kind of half rumour, in a 'guy who knows a guy' type way that SOD would be allowed to leave on a free if someone came in for him. We're not the kind of club who would ordinarily just give away international players, but given how last season went for him it didn't seem completely nonsensical as, if Alexander isnt 100% sold on him, he could potentially earn himself one more big signing on fee if there was no actual club to club fee involved. 

Will be interesting to see what happens in the next wee while. Two players fully proven at this level at full back, rather than one and a decent understudy is beyond what we usually run with or can afford.

Edited by 'WellDel

15 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I'd heard a kind of half rumour, in a 'guy who knows a guy' type way that SOD would be allowed to leave on a free if someone came in for him. We're not the kind of club who would ordinarily just give away international players, but given how last season went for him it didn't seem completely nonsensical as, if Alexander isnt 100% sold on him, he could potentially earn himself one more big signing on fee if there was no actual club to club fee involved. 

Will be interesting to see what happens in the next wee while. Two players fully proven at this level at full back, rather than one and a decent understudy is beyond what we usually run with or can afford.

Perhaps - but Alexander did make him captain, spoke well of him at the AGM even when acknowledging a form slump. I'm sure we're paying him reasonably as a top figure in the club and he seems settled family wise in his local area. I'm sure he'd leave for a big offer, I just don't seem him getting it on the efforts of last season. 

I have it in my head that we were linked with McGinn when Robinson was here but ended up patching him at the last minute to sign Grimshaw on a permanent?

Anyway, absolutely no one is racing out to buy a season ticket because we've signed Paul McGinn but equally we've had years of reply guys and usual suspects losing their shit because we've trawled the National League for players and arguing "wHy dOnt wE sIgN plAyErS fRoM teH sCoTtIsH lEaGuEs?!?!?!"

Well, here you go lads...

Edited by capt_oats

16 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Exactly, if we’re in the process of streamlining the squad, adding to a position which many feel is well covered goes is a bit of a head scratcher. Seems he’s been pursued for a while however so must be part of a masterplan

Every year they talk about streamlining the squad and it always feels like we are carrying at least 4 guys who are deadweight and if it did come to playing them it would be a slap in the face to our youth players.

I can see how Alexander talked himself into this. Mugabi at RB is not always ideal (although I love the HUGE line up) but we adding McGinn, who will be on a good wedge looks a bit suspect when what we really are looking for is a quality midfielder and another centre forward.

We are already at 22 players.

40 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Just seen it confirmed - not exactly one to set the pulse racing but solid enough. We don't seem to have specified his contract though.

Don't know if it's been edited since you saw it but it's on the news story as a 1 year deal.

399676372_ScreenShot2022-06-22at18_49_59.thumb.png.e9cb31d8b9a2faedb6ad338184f44980.png

Edited by capt_oats