Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, Marinello said:

Seeing some speculation that Turnbull may be off to West Ham . 11 million being mentioned.

What part of the sell on are we due?

This is a wind up from a Celtic fan on twitter btw. 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Aberdeen and Hibs were also dreadful last season so very much need players. Given Hibs recruitment over the last 18 months, I'm less than terrified about them accidentally signing a centre half and a guy from the Portuguese second tier as well.

Our plan is clearly to not have to overhaul the squad every 12 months, and with the pandemic restrictions ending the need for a bigger squad does too.

Don't blame the social team for a light touch atm either, there's about 6 weeks a year where nothing is happening in scottish football, so you're either prepping for next season or taking the chance to sit still.

I don’t expect us to sign more than a few players. And time will tell whether having a more settled squad will deliver the benefits we are all hoping for.  The smaller budget and squad talk makes that clear.

My fear is we know a good few players in the squad need upgrading. Perhaps contracts and available funds mean that is not likely to happen. Although I had heard we were trying to move on some under contract players. But if no one wants them and they want to stay what can you do. 

Not blaming social media team. I had assumed the players were not back yet since it was all quiet. Just I had seen several tweets from Hearts, Killie, Aberdeen etc with their squads back to training. Sure it will kick into action next week or as OTF points out tomorrow. 

20 minutes ago, welldaft said:

My fear is we know a good few players in the squad need upgrading. Perhaps contracts and available funds mean that is not likely to happen. Although I had heard we were trying to move on some under contract players. But if no one wants them and they want to stay what can you do. 

I wouldn't disagree with that at all.

McGinn is a dependable 6 or 7/10 every week, IMO. Can play on the right of back three, or at RB/RWB and do pretty well, tbh.

Sensible signing for cover.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

A right-back wouldn't have been the first position I'd cover but fair enough...he play anywhere else?

Not so much, he has done RCH in a 3 but not his best - but he is a solid RB

31 minutes ago, welldaft said:

OK. As back up for SODs I would imagine. I know who he is. Not sure if he is any good. Your thoughts ? 

We have good cover in the area, inc guys that can play wing back as well - we and have just bought a younger, more mobile RB/RWB................however PM is an excellent pro, has never really let us down and (my guess only) he is perhaps simply moving to get game time.

There are certainly no Hibs fans going "thank f**k he is moving on".

Good luck to him, a really nice guy too by all accounts.

Edited by Leith Green

10 hours ago, Marinello said:

Seeing some speculation that Turnbull may be off to West Ham . 11 million being mentioned.

What part of the sell on are we due?

It's bollocks apparently. Some wind-up merchant Celtic fan has been posting that rumour on Twitter for 18 months or so in the hope the media bites.

26 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

If he does arrive Max Johnston can rightly think …. “WTF?”

Yeah, I'm not against McGinn as such, more concerned it would kill chances for Johnston. It doesn't even sound like McGinn would be covering a few spots, it's only RB which means he's second choice to SOD. Of course, we could be planning something mental with SOD going to the left like a couple of games late last season? Which while not ideal would certainly fall into the no worse than McGinley/Carroll category.

Paul McGinn made all sorts of sense for us and it'll be a bit annoying when he thrives at Motherwell while we doss about trying to wedge 4 outright CBs into the side and still haven't got an actual wing back in our squad.

As far as Max Johnston goes, he's still only 18 and tbh, we don't even know what he is yet. IIRC he was moved from RB to midfield in a QoS side that was relegated from the Championship last season.

In fact, someone who's seem more of him than I have might be able to confirm - is he not able to play both full back positions? I have it in my head that he was playing left back for the Reserves back when they were still a thing.

Also, without wanting to open the particular can of worms about players being sold before they've really kicked a baw for us there was a story that Luton and Sheffield United were taking a look at him earlier this year.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Of course, we could be planning something mental with SOD going to the left like a couple of games late last season?

McGinn RCB and SOD RWB to channel the Tierney/Robbo Scotland dynamic IMO. Over/Underlapping centre backs are the future at Fir Park. 

It's been mentioned a couple of times on the previous page but with McGinn being able to fill in at RCB, along with the way we lined up in the last few games of the season, Alexander having spoken about needing to look at the "system" and the fact that we saw SODs 2 best games in a Motherwell shirt playing as a RWB it could very well be a case of...

6khcms.jpg

Assuming Devine's patched out on loan and Mahon is in that grey area between 1st team and "Reserves"...you've got McGinn who can cover either RWB or RCB.

If this is the direction we're going it's actually quite a sensible signing.

lineup.png.df22a0d0668e1db36baa9acc13d31f62.png

Edited by capt_oats

38 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Carroll probably sitting in that LCB/LWB area as well, you'd think.

Also a genuinely surprise to me every time I'm reminded Scott Fox is on our books.

I assumed he was going to pick up the GK coaching role, but no.

56 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Carroll probably sitting in that LCB/LWB area as well, you'd think.

McGinley as well I guess.

It always feels a bit weird that we seem to have forced him into being a left back when he said that he sees himself as a CB and IIRC even Robinson admitted that's where we signed him to play.

It was only on account of injuries and Robinson fucking up our squad balance that meant big Toby ended up getting an extended run at LB.

Edited by capt_oats