Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

#Grezza

“We feel we’re in a real good position with our squad currently,” Alexander said. “We did a lot of work last summer on rebuilding the squad and bringing in players not just for last season but for the seasons ahead.

“It was part of the plan that if we had a good season, which we did, we would be able to just tweak the squad and try and improve it if we can. Obviously there was players running out of contract that moved on and so forth.

“The disruption or the change to the squad will be minimal this year but we’re still looking to improve because there are still a couple of positions we need to strengthen.”

“As we did last year, we’ll take our time to make sure we get the right person, rather than the first person that comes across our bow,” he said. “I felt we did a lot of good work last summer in being patient and trying to get the right individuals and we’ll do the same.

“Blair Spittal was a great bit of business for the club, which we did early, but since then there’s been a little bit of a lull in terms of action but not in the work that’s going on behind the scenes.”

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Alan Burrows' mentions at the moment btw. Dearie me.

giphy.gif

It is short notice in the middle of the summer. Folk would have been waiting on the draw to book time off for the away leg. The dates are posted on official club channels. Then the club, - actually not even the club - Burrows on Twitter announces we have asked for dates to be changed 6 hours later.

It isn't ideal and you would think he would have been on the ball for this after the fuss over the rangers game.

If requests came from other clubs or a clash of dates with other UEFA games then it would be annoying. But this is our request and should have been flagged to fans beforehand.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

giphy.gif

Let me guess ..... let's play Burrows Bingo:

"Whit? I've already booked Train to Wrexham, Ferry to Larne (with motor), Flights to Gothenburg, Bologna, Dubrovnik, Reykjavik and Seville .... just in case"

"Take it the club is going to compensate fans?"

"Who are we signing?"

I've got a lot of understanding for AB against the reply guys and yes, everyone was booking at their own risk (it was even stated again today ties were not confirmed yet) but come on, there's no way the club only thought of this possibility on the spur of the moment...fair enough we didn't announce it in advance, as that doesn't seem the done thing, but there could have been an info tweet ready to go when the draw was made saying 'guys hang fire 24/48 hours'. Burrows - back when he was just Flow 🙂 - did plenty of travelling to Scotland games, he must have known there'd be people waiting on Ryanair ready to take a chance asap.

8 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Booking holidays is one thing, but booking travel when we don't know where we're playing?

Folk doing that are taking a risk but hotels are usually refundable. And getting in early on a flight can be a huge saver.

And it isn't like it is two exotic locations. If we are going to Wales i think that is a car journey.

I don't think the ties will get swapped. Burrows already said the pitch will be ready ither way so it is about trying to get us the advantage of a second leg at home. Given what happened vs Coleraine I think both the Irish and Welsh will be thinking the can take us out and won't be giving up an advantage to do it.

26 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I've got a lot of understanding for AB against the reply guys and yes, everyone was booking at their own risk (it was even stated again today ties were not confirmed yet) but come on, there's no way the club only thought of this possibility on the spur of the moment...fair enough we didn't announce it in advance, as that doesn't seem the done thing, but there could have been an info tweet ready to go when the draw was made saying 'guys hang fire 24/48 hours'. Burrows - back when he was just Flow 🙂 - did plenty of travelling to Scotland games, he must have known there'd be people waiting on Ryanair ready to take a chance asap.

A guess that's where we come down to using all the tools available to us:

The Charisma twins during the draw making it clear clubs had until 6pm tomorrow to inform of any fixture requests.

Flao conveying to the last panty ringing session that the pitch was ripped up without selling the turf as we were trying to maximise growing time of 5 weeks.

Look at the picture on Flao's Twitter yesterday ..... then remind yourself of today's date

image.thumb.png.43770f92c34f881dfbdb8cd0df1f31eb.png

We could be playing in two separate countries.

Now I've booked a flight but it cost me £17 and I was going to combine it to see a friend that I've not seen since 2018. Yes I'll miss the game at FP if the change happens but I have to weigh up is ditching £17 worth it or do I go and see my pal.

I put a post on here around 15:00 reminding folk to bear it in mind.

UEFA probably have all sorts of protocols and will get bent out of shape if you don't follow them to the letter. I guess they also have to wait to all parties acknowledge receipt of the request, that's maybe not in our hands.

Could the club have anticipated a home tie first? It has a 50/50 chance of happening after all. Could a letter have been drafted ready to go? Maybe it was. Should something have gone out earlier? Should an official channel rather than Flao advising on his personal account been used? Finally, based on the furore over Rangers request could we have handled this a tad better? .... Yes to all.

Has Flao been on a plane for the past 4.5 hours? ....

Edited by Kapowzer

42 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

giphy.gif

I canny help but laugh, They took a risk and possibly fucked it.  I don't see how that's an issue.

39 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

giphy.gif

Be funny if the home/away dates stay the same but Bala win their tie.

Will Sligo be due them their money back instead for their incompetence?

Just now, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

People are jumping the gun by booking travel etc, no doubt, but I’m sure it would’ve been fairly quiet easy for the club to declare their intent to move the game if required beforehand. 

I think they are in the circumstances (the warning and the pitch) but not necessarily for taking a guess on the winner. I dunno if I'd have been so confident I'd book up for Sligo mind but if, for example, we know that if we win Q2 we'll be away to the winner of Larne v Slavia Praha on August X, I'll probably take a punt booking my train and a (refundable) hotel before the matches are played.

Nae sympathy for folk who have booked travel and digs already when we don't even know who we are playing yet! Surely in that case you've booked on the proviso that you are going to potentially lose out anyway.

Slight sympathy for getting time off work sorted but if you've managed to get that day sorted this quick then surely most folk can get it resorted as quickly.