Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'd be surprised if Spittal is a revolutionary signing but in theory some known quantities who are good players at clubs half a level below us should definitely boost the squad. Certainly not unhappy with him until his first poor 45 mins in pre-season.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

Aye, I mean, we're not going to see a bump in season ticket sales because we've signed Blair Spittal but taking everything into account - his age, the area of the park he plays, the fact he's a known quantity and is coming off the back of a good season with a team who eventually bedded into a Top 6 place means that as @thisGRAEME says it just feels like an entirely sensible signing.

The fact that @RandomGuy.'s radar has him showing good creative/progressive numbers (cheers RG) suggests it's a step towards addressing an issue that had entire sections of Motherwell Twitter wildly bent out of shape. 

To roll back to a point @Handsome_Devil made a while ago, this feels pretty much on the money:

On 18/05/2022 at 23:43, Handsome_Devil said:

Essentially the group of our fans determined we should sign players from Scotland can have nothing to complain about, I would suggest he is as good as we could get in that category.

Similarly we're probably as good as he can get too so wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Fwiw, it seems we were in for him when he was at Queens Park.

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'd be surprised if Spittal is a revolutionary signing but in theory some known quantities who are good players at clubs half a level below us should definitely boost the squad. Certainly not unhappy with him until his first poor 45 mins in pre-season.

Most County fans I know rate Spittal and I have to say he’s played well when I’ve seen him and I would have liked him to stay on. For some reason he’s never been a serial starter.  Not sure of the stats but certainly has come on as a sub a lot more than I would have liked. Intelligent player with a good shot, should get you a few goals from the edge of the box. If nothing else he’ll be a good squad player but I think could be better than that.

1 minute ago, Phillips455 said:

Some update regarding the training kit.

We apparently got that design due to Bradford joining Macron this season. Also it should be on sale soon (tm).

I thought when it came to training gear, Macron produces a few designs and you apply your club badge/colours accordingly.

I think it was 19-20 when 6 teams had the same grey effort that can be best described as "crazy shoulder chopsticks" were the only change was the club badge?

2 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

Most County fans I know rate Spittal and I have to say he’s played well when I’ve seen him and I would have liked him to stay on. For some reason he’s never been a serial starter.  Not sure of the stats but certainly has come on as a sub a lot more than I would have liked. Intelligent player with a good shot, should get you a few goals from the edge of the box. If nothing else he’ll be a good squad player but I think could be better than that.

Put it this way; had this happened a year ago, I’d have said “might have kept him but I’m surprised he’s found a club at this level”.   In all honesty, he used to be a bit shite 75% of the time.  This past season, he stepped it up a notch.   I’m a bit disappointed he’s gone.  

He’ll tell you his best position is wide right.    Most County fans will tell you he’s most effective centrally.  WyScout will tell you something incomprehensible with a graph that looks like an exit poll. 

w

Edited by Savage Henry

3 hours ago, Yorky said:

A signing that splits opinion, Ross County fans seem to rate him, Motherwell supporters very underwhelmed.   

A large % of Well fans would be underwhelmed if we signed Sadio Mane. 

Generally those who have no concept of our actual budget.

It gets tiring after a while. He’s shite…..He’s shite. The pitch is shite. The strip is shite. Alexander’s beard is shite and on and on and on and on. 

There is literally a % for Well fans (and probably all fans) that would moan at anything and everything. 

3 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I thought when it came to training gear, Macron produces a few designs and you apply your club badge/colours accordingly.

I think it was 19-20 when 6 teams had the same grey effort that can be best described as "crazy shoulder chopsticks" were the only change was the club badge?

I'm referring to the colour though. They would only agree to a amber/claret design if there was enought in total to be manufactured and sold (outside of the actual home/away kits).

The Training kit numbers that we sell would obviously not be enought to get a non standard colour training kit made for us (unless we payed a lot extra). Now Bradford have joined, expect them to have basically the same training kit line up but with thier badge instead.

Alan Burrows confirms it here as well: 

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

WyScout will tell you something incomprehensible with a graph that looks like an exit poll. 

Fortunately I've created a guide to go with my charts to help people read them, it's a bit heavy words wise but it helps I think.

Spoiler

Big bar good. Small bar bad.

5 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It feels to me a bit like we're setting up to play Spittal and Tierney as two #10s behind the forward(s). 

On typing that out though I do have to say it sounds quite un-Graham Alexander. 

Certainly possible, or he's out right to give some width beside Shields and KVV...or he's back up/alternative for Tierney as a 10? 

Who knows but what I would say is a side with potentially Goss-tierney-spittal doesn't scream functional hoofball by any means.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fortunately I've created a guide to go with my charts to help people read them, it's a bit heavy words wise but it helps I think.

Reveal hidden contents

Big bar good. Small bar bad.

Ah, that explains it. Cheers. 

Spittal. Sweet right foot, potent left foot too. Juicy passing range. Succulent shots. Delivers from any angle. Best used either on a flank accompanied by a substantial full-back, to give him time to set, or as one of a trio in the middle with some beef and game to complement him. Too lean as a main course for most occasions, but when served appropriately is the most delectable on the sheet.

26 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Spittal. Sweet right foot, potent left foot too. Juicy passing range. Succulent shots. Delivers from any angle. Best used either on a flank accompanied by a substantial full-back, to give him time to set, or as one of a trio in the middle with some beef and game to complement him. Too lean as a main course for most occasions, but when served appropriately is the most delectable on the sheet.

I'm still not sure about this signing but can confirm that I've just added steaks to the on-line shop.

A large % of Well fans would be underwhelmed if we signed Sadio Mane. 
Generally those who have no concept of our actual budget.
It gets tiring after a while. He’s shite…..He’s shite. The pitch is shite. The strip is shite. Alexander’s beard is shite and on and on and on and on. 
There is literally a % for Well fans (and probably all fans) that would moan at anything and everything. 
I've got a mate firmly in this category. He messaged me yesterday as he thinks that 26 year old Blair Spittal is "past his best".

With Spittal signing this is where we are with contracted players.

Contract expiries:
2023 - Fox, O'Donnell, Johnston, Ojala, Carroll, Cornelius, Goss, Mahon, Efford, Van Veen
2024 - Kelly, Mugabi, Lamie, Johansen, McGinley, Maguire, Slattery, Woolery, Spittal, Shields
2025 - Tierney

I'd imagine there's potential scope for some changes with players going out and there's obviously the question of whether you consider Robbie Mahon as a first team player but ngl it's a trip for us to be in a position where we're not looking at having to sign 10+ players at this stage.

lineup.png.dc1ffb8f168b34930044a1c490ef6a8d.pnglineup.png.f496c21b1b4a734ae1eff42decd983c9.png

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

This is the greatest player description I've ever read. 

Well done sir.