Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Going back to last summer it's interesting to see the breakdown of where our signings came from given the only player we've really been linked with as yet has been Spittal (there was some really vague stuff about Alfie May and Matt Butcher I suppose).

Of our 12 signings only Shields and Roberts came from SPFL clubs.

7 came from England (plus Mich'el Parker who had just been cutting about).

Ojala came from Denmark.

Johansen came from Norway.

Going back to @Casagolda's post a while ago linking to an interview with Daws about recruitment where he said:

“It has been an extremely complex process,” says Daws. “This is still a new team… and you will have some bumps in the road putting it together. For us there was a plan in place last summer, but the plan did not necessarily come together.”

Link

And going further back there was a comment in the piece about the recruitment process the club put up just after the window closed.

"We set out right at the start to aim high, to pitch for players that we may have thought we wouldn't have got previously, to explore markets that we may not have explored as actively in previous seasons and to invest in infrastructure that has allowed this to happen."

There are far fewer positions we need to recruit for this summer so I wonder if we've taken any lessons from how our recruitment played out last year and whether we're planning on pitching for the same type of player?

Edited by capt_oats

As an aside it's interesting to see the age breakdown as well:

18-24 = 5
25-30 = 6
31+ = 1

Spoiler

Shields (23) - 3 years
Amaluzor (24) - 1 year
Woolery (26) - 3 years
Van Veen (30) - 2 years
Kelly (25) - 3 years
O'Connor (21) - 1 year
Parker (22) - 6 months
Slattery (22) - 3 years
Ojala (32) - 2 years
Goss (25) - 2 years
Johansen (26) - 3 years
Roberts (27) - 6 month loan

Tbh Mullen or Rudden make perfect sense. They're not our #9 but can sit on our bench and come on when KVV is injured/suspended/booked.

Rudden would be my preference as I'd swear Mullen has only ever scored in the first and last months of the season (don't fact check this).

33 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Tbh Mullen or Rudden make perfect sense. They're not our #9 but can sit on our bench and come on when KVV is injured/suspended/booked.

Aye. We're in the market for someone in budget, who's going to be happy to sign up and be parked on our bench which narrows our options from the jump.

If we're talking OOC SPFL players it's a limited market.

14 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Yes please. Sold.

22 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Not sure why he'd want to join us but I'd definitely be interested. 

I mean, aye I'm sceptical.

He's not going to get rich(er) with us and you'd think he'll have plenty other options but to be objective...we've just seen 3 midfielders leave as of Friday so there's a space in the team for him, he'd play regularly, he's precisely the type of player we need (experienced and can control a game) and with Lasley having left for St Mirren there's a vacancy on the coaching staff opened up.

Although in fairness I'd imagine plenty of other clubs will be able to make a similar pitch. It's really a case of what he wants tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

I don't get the Rudden chat. Didn't he already sign for Dundee?

As for Davis, said when chatting to mates earlier, I'd pass. Ye he's class and he's defo an improvement on what we have but I am always wary of old guys stepping down. Think Brian McClair scarred me.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't get the Rudden chat. Didn't he already sign for Dundee?

I think the suggestion is that he may have a similar get out clause in his deal as Lamie. He's only at Dundee on loan just now.

Dundee actually announced his PCA though.

We are delighted to announce the signing of Zak Rudden on loan from Partick Thistle for the remainder of the 2021/22 season.

Zak has already agreed to a pre-contract and will sign a permanent deal with the club until 2025 when his contract at Firhill expires in the summer.

Link

From a Rangers fans perspective, you'd be gaining a player with undoubted quality. A master at reading a game and being able to break up play and also get the team on the front foot with penetrative passes. He's not really a goal threat these days but contributes well in building attacks.

With that being said... I was very critical of him at the start of the season. His form wasn't where it needed to be, however that could've been said for much of the team. He was then out the team for quite a bit but since coming back in has contributed well.

It doesn't look obvious that he has lost too much in terms of fitness as he gets older, but having only played in 31 of our games this season that may be an indicator that he is beginning to decline.