Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Only real surprise there is I thought Donnelly would have been offered a new deal. Not because I thought he was worth one but I assumed GA thought so. Combined with the struggles to find U.K. based players as conveyed at the AGM and his ability (in theory) to play in a few different positions.

I also said before, while McPake offered Lamie £700 a week extra to move to Dundee, that equates to £35k a year. His two pivotal goals have guaranteed us £500k minimum extra. His agent would have a good shout bringing that up in any negotiation.

Now that Donnelly's departure is confirmed I wonder how his 4 year stay will be regarded by the fans .

FWIW I'm left a bit sad that he has gone as I've always felt there was a player in him. Not just for his explosive goal scoring one season but his versatility.

Even though I was never sure what his best position was I felt having been at Dingwall 2 weeks back that he may after all have found his niche  as a right sided CD cum sweeper role.

Now as a Motherwell player we will never know.

Goes with my best wishes and with a wee feeling of ' the one that got away'.

Posted (edited)

He was okay. Like a lot of players at our level, the issue wasn't how good he was at his best but how often he got there and for various reasons the answer was not enough.

What I always found interesting about his 2019 move to midfield, his reputation was made then by his scoring spell when he wasn't actually supposed to be scoring goals. Which sounds a ridiculous thing to say but briefly taking penalties and banging in a few meant there was much less discussion over how he was doing in the holding role than there should have been before we extended his deal on no doubt good terms.

He was certainly unlucky with injuries but when he came back, without the one off goal burst, I thought he was average at best before the final high of County and Hearts where he was again very good.

I wouldn't have been angry had he stayed but happier we're rolling the dice on trying for someone better. 

Edit to add for all that, in four seasons here we made Europe twice - he certainly leaves with a well done and good luck.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

I would have probably kept Donnelly if he was on squad player wages. With that in mind I was expecting him to leave.

Can’t wait for the Bathgate Maldini socials.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Grimmy gets his own wee video...good lad.

Actually wild to think he was a Baraclough signing like.

I dunno, when. you get to my age Baraclough just seems like a couple of seasons ago.

Seeing the list of released players and am i the only person who is baying for more blood.

We had one of the worst defences in the league even if you write off a couple of pumpings to the OF. Every defender is back for next year, except Lamie who we seem keen to keep.  It either is we don't bother improving or we end up carrying a lot of dead weight again.

For anyone else to leave we're either going to have to agree a payoff for them, or another club will need to come in for them. The latter is unlikely if they're as shite as we think they are. I wouldn't be surprised if others leave, but thats going to take time.

Still seeing people hoping McGinley will leave despite the fact we just extended him a couple of months ago.

16 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Seeing the list of released players and am i the only person who is baying for more blood.

We had one of the worst defences in the league even if you write off a couple of pumpings to the OF. Every defender is back for next year, except Lamie who we seem keen to keep.  It either is we don't bother improving or we end up carrying a lot of dead weight again.

You're not but that was never going to happen today.

If we could somehow pap off Carroll (as he's more likely than McGinley contract wise) and gently nudge Ojala in the direction of a final hurrah in Finland in the next couple of months it'd be excellent business.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Agreed.

Something I've noticed happening more often in England with retained lists is the inclusion of players who have been "transfer listed" which is quite the throwback to the quaint notion of "the transfer list".

eg: from Morecambe

"Jonah Ayunga, Ryan Cooney, Ryan Delaney, Courtney Duffus, Wes McDonald, Ryan McLaughlin, Shane McLoughlin, Anthony O’Connor, Jon Obika and Connor Pye remain under contract but have been made available for transfer."

Link

I'd imagine that it's something that can be worked on over the summer without publicly forcing folk out the door, which is very much not our brand.

Edited by capt_oats

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Grimmy gets his own wee video...good lad.

Actually wild to think he was originally a Baraclough signing like.

Some of the comments on Instagram are the main reason why I avoid it.

Am I right in saying no one on here suggested we hold onto him just due to length of service?

20 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If we could somehow pap off Carroll (as he's more likely than McGinley contract wise) and gently nudge Ojala in the direction of a final hurrah in Finland in the next couple of months it'd be excellent business.

The old “if you want first team football you may want to look elsewhere”, “I don’t see you as part of my plans” type chats happen I hope.

26 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Am I right in saying no one on here suggested we hold onto him just due to length of service?

No but a case could be made that a dirt cheap, versatile, mega professional 25th guy in the squad could be worth another year depending on budget and other targets. There's no complaints when not picked, sound in the dressing room, not a target for the fans despite his flaws and ready to give everything when unexpectedly needed for an emergency 10 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, the fact he's not been on the pitch for months even in our almost collapse means it was definitely time to move on. But I imagine Grimshaw will regularly be at a club perhaps higher than his relative ability level due to his non-playing attributes.

I hope we don’t sign Blair Spittal because I think he’s rubbish. I also hope we don’t convince Lamie to stay, half a good season (where we were still leaking goals all over the shop) doesn’t make him suddenly a good player. Maybe I’m still haunted by the COVID season. You can put a cat in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit.

7 minutes ago, Swami said:

I hope we don’t sign Blair Spittal because I think he’s rubbish. I also hope we don’t convince Lamie to stay, half a good season (where we were still leaking goals all over the shop) doesn’t make him suddenly a good player. Maybe I’m still haunted by the COVID season. You can put a cat in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit.

Agree with regards the Lambie stuff. Yes he's improved but at one stage he was creating enough errors for his own feature length bloopers dvd.

Hopefully see a few more defensive changes over the summer. 

4 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

No but a case could be made that a dirt cheap, versatile, mega professional 25th guy in the squad could be worth another year depending on budget and other targets. There's no complaints when not picked, sound in the dressing room, not a target for the fans despite his flaws and ready to give everything when unexpectedly needed for an emergency 10 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, the fact he's not been on the pitch for months even in our almost collapse means it was definitely time to move on. But I imagine Grimshaw will regularly be at a club perhaps higher than his relative ability level due to his non-playing attributes.

I suppose that works if he also doesn't have any ambitions of being anything other than a rarely used squad player for another year. I suspect it's similar to the spheil Celtic put out about Rogic and Bitton ...... both been away from home for quite a while, mutual agreement between player and club its the right time.