Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

33 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Slattery & Tierney should be in the team every single week as well btw.

Slattery won’t be there the first two weeks, not ideal in trying to get off to a good start.

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

That's one of the challenges for GA for next season. Tierney looks like one of the most interesting players we've signed for a while and if used properly could be a cracking player for us (and the type that is actually entertaining to watch) - how do we fit him into the team? (as I agree he should be in our starting 11 come July/August)

I wouldn't be surprised to see him tried out in a few positions over pre-season. Partly to find his best spot, partly because until you know who else we've got you don't know your other strengths and weaknesses.

While I'm not fully in the 'this is Scotland, we can't play a midget in central midfield' camp, I think there needs to be a degree of realism about whether this is the best idea or viable given the physicality of a full season. 

That leaves either as a 10 off a single striker or behind a pair, or out wide but drifting inside in a 4-3-3 effort depending on formation. I'm fine with either of these tbh, I think he's good enough to make a difference in whichever we pick. I also think that having a less rigid attack would help - we have clearly struggled to sign effective genuine wingers recently and part of the reason for our upturn again is the wide forwards aren't isolated out on the flanks. 

If we bin Roberts and Justin, spend the money on another number nine and go into next season with that  new guy as strong back-up, KVV, Woolery, Shields and Tierney as the main attack with Efford the new injury/illness emergency body I'd be happy enough.

I have clung to my mantra that this is a transition year and next season will be better.  Ironically we may perform better but not finish as far up the league due to other clubs getting their shit together.

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

He not out for Celtic on Sat? So only missing week one next season.

Suspension for racking up the bookings normally only takes effect 14 days after reaching the threshold. 

1 minute ago, Handsome John said:

Suspension for racking up the bookings normally only takes effect 14 days after reaching the threshold. 

Yeah, I thought the booking which carried him over the limit was at Tannadice?

10 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Yeah, I thought the booking which carried him over the limit was at Tannadice?

This is usually up to date 

84F8E298-124C-4521-9431-51FA12BBC66A.png

Good ol' KVV, It's hard to imagine a more smug and self-satisfied look than that 😆

Do you think he's been looking at that yellow card table too?  I can't believe he'll settle for just joint top.  A stick-on for Saturday.  I might have to put a fiver on him, though I suspect the odds will be rather short

10 minutes ago, Desp said:

He definitely dyes that beard.

Wee Ross kippered him in the comments with the same chat.

Now we’re three buses, back with the big boys in Europe etc. ….. we gonna complete the signing of that guy from Galatasaray for £6m?

Some of the bodies that Robinson's Thunderdome side took will be getting found under there.

When was the last time anyone heard from Harry Cochrane? 

So there's two possibilities here. 1- this work will discover the buried voodoo doll that makes us bad at throw-ins. Or 2 - this work will disturb an ancient burial ground resulting in us being cursed with even worse throw-ins.

This is a bit Steelmeny of me but I'm convinced we score early in a big home game then concede an equaliser 5 minutes later more than just about anyone else in world football.  Usually against the Old Firm, but Hearts on Wednesday was another example. I'm pretty sure I have the image of our defenders and goalie standing with hands on their hips infront of the Cooper end blaming each other burned into my head, just with different kits and faces each time.