Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Quickly does sums .... 36 league games, 4 league cup, 3 Scottish cup = 43 games x 90 mins = 3,870 + 30 (1 extra time) = 3,900 minutes of football played. That video is 4.5 minutes long.

I've officially liked 0.12% of this season, if you add in Aberdeen in the cup, Lamie's header and Tony rubbing Browns head we're up to 0.15%

Edited by Kapowzer

For me Slattery v Livingston. Was a belter of a strike and so accurate. Plus it helped get us back on track for top 6.

I am a bit torn on the hybrid pitch. Probably because I don’t have the financial breakdown v benefits. Flow seems excited and explains it will help limit ongoing annual investment.

But I seem to recall it was going to cost the best part of £850,000. For a club like Motherwell that is serious money. Even half of that invested in the squad for next season may have a big impact.

I certainly would not want to read about us paying another six figures every summer after such a whopping outlay. 

It was mentioned at the AGM they hope to attract more Scotland B/U21/U19/U18/Schoolboys, Womens and stuff like Petrofac or whatever it's called now I guess.

No idea what the SFA pays to rent the stadium and if we only get a slice of the pie stalls but would say it's maybe 20k? Do that 3x a season and you'd hope that covers the summer freshen up.

11 hours ago, welldaft said:

For me Slattery v Livingston. Was a belter of a strike and so accurate. Plus it helped get us back on track for top 6.

I am a bit torn on the hybrid pitch. Probably because I don’t have the financial breakdown v benefits. Flow seems excited and explains it will help limit ongoing annual investment.

But I seem to recall it was going to cost the best part of £850,000. For a club like Motherwell that is serious money. Even half of that invested in the squad for next season may have a big impact.

I certainly would not want to read about us paying another six figures every summer after such a whopping outlay. 

I'm pretty supportive on spending money on tangible things, tbh. Players come and go, and have massively variable definitive values on an almost weekly basis. The club has done a smashing job over the last few years of just tidying the place up after decades of little to no investment in our surroundings.

More than that, speaks to the clubs continued mindset of just doing things 'right'. Do the best thing you can do at all stages off the pitch, improves things on it. There are limits to our facilities and our budgets, but whatever we can do to improve infrastructure, we should, IMO.

21 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'm pretty supportive on spending money on tangible things, tbh. Players come and go, and have massively variable definitive values on an almost weekly basis. The club has done a smashing job over the last few years of just tidying the place up after decades of little to no investment in our surroundings.

More than that, speaks to the clubs continued mindset of just doing things 'right'. Do the best thing you can do at all stages off the pitch, improves things on it. There are limits to our facilities and our budgets, but whatever we can do to improve infrastructure, we should, IMO.

Massively this.

On a similar subject was there not also chat from the AGM that we were due to be entering into some sort of investment/partnership with Dalziel Park?

33 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Aye - and it's also worth remembering that it's not a case of put the hybrid pitch in or do nothing - it's a case of put the Hybrid pitch in and fix the underlying problems or keep relaying the pitch every summer, which is clearly going to be on on-going sunk cost. Given that we've got some money in the bank and there is a plan to recoup some of the outlay by being able to use the pitch/stadium more - it sounds like a pretty sound plan to me.

Also - welling up here:

15 hours ago, ropy said:

Did Roberts mean his? 

Ropy, I'm baffled by this question. What else did he mean to do? 

Edited by CoF
Canny spell proper

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Massively this.

On a similar subject was there not also chat from the AGM that we were due to be entering into some sort of investment/partnership with Dalziel Park?

Yeah "in the next few weeks" was the shout ....

Along the lines of we'll be more involved and potentially look to have our own facility there as well as help steer the future direction of the place.

I took from it probably changing rooms and our groundsman would would in tandem with the permanent guy there. I don't know if there's space or scope to put something together like they had planned for the foot of Muirhouse.

The may see benefit in extending the existing stand, putting rooms underneath it. Certainly would be an option on saving rent elsewhere for youth, womens games if the new hybrid pitch can't cope with 40 games a season.

Watch the first video as many times as there are players in view.  Watch a single player each time.  There is a story with every one, from the shirt pull on Hutchy, Faddy celebrating before the goal is scored, defenders standing watching, defenders going to the ref before the play is halted.  Oh, and a goal.

4 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

We will be the fourth club after Celtic, Rangers and Hearts (top 4?) to introduce a hybrid pitch.  I would say that our pitch has been better than theirs in recent seasons.  I assume the quality is maintained by the quality of the groundsman?

25 minutes ago, ropy said:

We will be the fourth club after Celtic, Rangers and Hearts (top 4?) to introduce a hybrid pitch.  I would say that our pitch has been better than theirs in recent seasons.  I assume the quality is maintained by the quality of the groundsman?

IIRC, the AGM chat was the the mess under the pitch is getting worse over time and it's becoming more of a stuggle to deal with a lot of rain and keep it playable (and I think that has been noticeable). On a nice day, we've probably had the best surface in the league over the past few years but the surface isn't the issue. 

45 minutes ago, ropy said:

Watch the first video as many times as there are players in view.  Watch a single player each time.  There is a story with every one, from the shirt pull on Hutchy, Faddy celebrating before the goal is scored, defenders standing watching, defenders going to the ref before the play is halted.  Oh, and a goal.

8 Aberdeen players standing watching it all play out is incredible.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Who's the c**t making fun of Wee Al in that Luton video? I'll have words.

That would be 'Clem'.

Ryders, mount up.

Edited by thisGRAEME