Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Aye, Kelly is a comfortable top half Scottish Premiership level keeper which is about as good as we will ever be able to attract if we're talking about an 'established' player. He's got plenty of time to improve further so he may take another step up but I'd be surprised if he ever ends up as Scotland's #1

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

He's below Gillespie, Carson, Ruddy and Randolph, for me. 

He's above Ripley and any others you may care to mention. 

His 'remarkable' saves don't outweigh some of his flaws - He isn't aggressive/decisive enough for me and his lack of stature is an issue.

In light of that, in hindsight, would you say it was a bad move pushing the boat out to get Kelly and offloading Carson in the summer there? Or does the age difference and Carson's injury record mitigate that?

I would definitely place him below Ruddy and Randolph. They're undoubtedly the best two keepers we've had in recent history.

Gillespie and Carson, I'm perhaps more on the fence. That said, I don't see Newcastle signing Kelly on a four-year deal when his contract expires, but I think Kelly hasn't yet had the fortune of playing behind a good Motherwell side, that Gillespie and Carson perhaps have/did. 

Pretty much every game Kelly has played for Motherwell, the team has had a lot of defending to do.

I just don’t think it’s fair to penalise players who have done a job having their hands tied a lot of time. Certainly I wouldn’t countenance voting for a guy who’s played one game in a sort of protest vote when we’ve secured top 6 for the 10 time in 18 seasons.

Kelly has benefitted as his position can’t be meddled with by the manager to the same degree and he’s also unlikely to be dropped so had a consistent run.

He had unnecessary extra work in the first half due to the absorb pressure tactics and in the second by the general malaise in front of him.

However, I did say I was a Jedi on my census form under religious affiliation so maybe I can’t throw any stones.

We all know the powers of this thread and the outcomes it has quite clearly influenced in the past. Every positive signing or decision made by the club has been as a direct result of lobbying by the 'Well fans of P&B*

Can we get enough traction on #Nirrenold to actually Alexandra Burke him all the way to P.O.T.Y. ?

Even if we did, would the club simply airbrush the votes and give the award to the runner up.? Is it worth a shot?

*Claim may not be 100% factually accurate.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

In light of that, in hindsight, would you say it was a bad move pushing the boat out to get Kelly and offloading Carson in the summer there? Or does the age difference and Carson's injury record mitigate that?

I would definitely place him below Ruddy and Randolph. They're undoubtedly the best two keepers we've had in recent history.

Gillespie and Carson, I'm perhaps more on the fence. That said, I don't see Newcastle signing Kelly on a four-year deal when his contract expires, but I think Kelly hasn't yet had the fortune of playing behind a good Motherwell side, that Gillespie and Carson perhaps have/did. 

Pretty much every game Kelly has played for Motherwell, the team has had a lot of defending to do.

In short, yes. I should've clarified, Carson pre-injury essentially. 

I thought Gillespie was brilliant. Did all the things you'd expect of a goalkeeper, with some daftly good stuff on top of that. Carson fits on that scale as well.

Kelly doesn't do all the things I'd expect of a goalkeeper, but does some daftly good things.

I'm sure he's having an absolutely lovely time at Newcastle, picking up a fortune for doing not much work and playing for his boyhood club, but I can't help but be a bit sad that Gillespie is 'wasting' some of his (early) peak years and not progressing further after all the development he made at Motherwell by not getting regular football. He was an excellent keeper and could easily be playing every week for a decent Championship club. 

Edited by dezz

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I know the question is to @thisGRAEME (that he's answered) but to chip in because I also have thoughts...

For me Kelly's below peak 17/18 Carson but probably ahead of the pre-DVT 18/19 version as there was a strong argument that Gillespie should have been getting a shot at the gloves anyway regardless of the unfortunate DVT stuff and also the post-DVT/pre-injury version we saw at the start of last season.

So it's really depends on what window of Carson's Motherwell career you're talking about.

I wouldn't say it was a bad move to push the boat out for Kelly. I don't buy the reply guy shouts that had it not been for Kelly we'd be in a relegation battle but the fact that we're Top 6 and have had a fit goalkeeper the entire season pushes it into the "good move" bracket.

You saw what happened in the Samson season and also when we tried to make Twardzik #1 (LOL, we actually fucking did that). It doesn't end well so if we're pushing out boats I'd rather we did it to get a good goalkeeper than not.

For me, he showed his value last season in direct comparison to the rotating cast of 'keepers we had be it Carson, Chapman (lol) or Archer but I don't think we'll cash in on him or anything and despite appreciating how the club operate in platforming certain players for profile I don't think the overselling him does him any favours.

As I said, Lewis Irons wanging on about "world class" saves on the commentary is just reaching a bit. A tough listen in anyone's language.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Still gutted there was no backflip.

Vaguely remember that his Mother was in the crowd which may have put him off, she doesn’t like a show off

Edited by ropy

The indifference towards a potential european place decider is something else isn't it? Is it:-

-Because you are bored of European football. 

-Because we are absolutely shite the now

-Because even if we quality we'll still be absolutely shite 

- Hapoel and Stjarnan 

- any other reason? 

Being shite and expecting to still be shite for me. I wondered briefly if our 'frequent' (relatively speaking) qualifications has taken some of the fun out of it, alongside some fairly uninspiring recent European performances but nope - absolutely not. Some of my best memories as a well fan were the wee runs through 2008 - 2014. I'd be 100% into any qualification but my god, I can't shift this feeling that even if we are in Europe next season it'll be an absolute non event. 

This isn't how it should feel is it?