Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Amongst the many mysteries enveloping FP these days has to be that of Jordan Roberts.

Where is he?

Does he exist?

Suspect he's injured. he was a doubt before a game while ago, I forget which, and then out for ages. It's the GA way - there was no indication Lamie would be out so long when he got injured in early December, I've not yet seen confirmation of the rumour SOD out for the season, I don't think (though I was busy this week so not paying attention) SSJ was officially ruled out today either.

It's something which - when things are going badly - really winds me up about GA. He no doubt thinks there is a tactical advantage to his silence or misdirection with team news but it really adds to the wtf is going on impression the fans have...and though I'm obviously not an expert on other teams, from seeing headlines on the Beeb etc there doesn't appear to be anyone else in the league who shares this behaviour.

• Despite the scoreline, there were some fine performances in claret and amber and the belief that a European spot is still within their reach in the remaining four games.

This wee bit tagged on to the end of the end of the match report on the 'fishal tickled me.

Who was the reporter, fucking Alexander?

It's hard to argue with top 6 being an achievement for a club of our size, but we're there purely by virtue of the standard in the league being absolutely brutal this year. On paper,  Alexander's targets have been met, but on the park is a different story. Measuring our own success against everyone else's shiteness is a bit of a cop out. The manager's been backed financially, and what he's produced simply isn't good enough in terms of entertainment and value for money for the paying punter. 

How many games has anyone actually enjoyed this season?

The 2-0 v Hearts? Our obligatory ownership of Aberdeen FC? The unlikely points picked up at Ibrox?

Nothing much else springs to mind, just week on week of directionless shite that is horrible to watch. And with most of his dross on longer contracts, next season is just going to be more of the same. After being on the beers since time up today, that's a suddenly sobering thought.

5 minutes ago, 21maxwell said:

I despise the stay in the league patter aswell, aiming for top 10 is such a lack of ambition. Should always strive for better on and off the park.

Boils my piss as well. 10th position is the bare minimum objective of half the league at the start of every season. Just surviving is such a grim outlook.

On account of being top flight stalwarts for nigh on 40 years, we are obviously fucking massive and should be setting slightly loftier ambitions. Even having achieved top 6, this season will still go down, in the fans eyes if not the club's and history books, as an absolute shitter. Europe was, and still is, miraculously I  suppose, an achievable target that we absolutely should have reached already. Alexander has much to answer for and the board need to hold him to task over the shitshow we have witnessed this season, and ask serious questions about the way forward for next term.

Do Alexander and Lucketti see each other through the week?  They spend all of the game catching up.  They should have all their plays worked out in advance.  It should be Play no. 5 Woolery, agreed.  Quick decisions please.

It was really annoying me in the second half that we kept going down the left when it was obvious Efford and Justin can’t control a football. Both of them make football look like an extremely tough sport to play. We should have been getting the ball out right to Woolery.

Looking at Alexander's record this season, if it was a bit more mixed (I.e. a few more losses at the beginning of the season and a few more wins this year) the outrage would be much quieter.

The big problem I see is that we could end up going 18 games with 1 win this year and then be stuck going into next s3ason with that mindset. Even though people like to down play it, confidence and the players mindset does affect matches. The rangers game is a big example, we fought back to 1-1 and throw it away in the opening 2 minutes of the second half. All that belief gone and suddenly we were being battered by 10 men.

While we might be safe this season, it's n2xt season where I believe we will turn into a Hibs/Aberdeen/Kilmarnock/St Johnstone and sink like a stone. Really, I would o ly have a positive attitude for next season if we win the next 3 games (that's a laugh, we've only won 2 away games this season and the next 2 are away) so yeah....

Going to check and see the odds for us being relegated next season. Might put a tenner on it to help alleviate my post 2022/2023 season blues.

Can't add to anything which has been said already but I'm still heavily pissed off after yesterday. Thought we played okay in the first half and Rangers with 10 men were there for the taking. As usual we completely shat it.

We no doubt have some good players in the squad but also a fair amount of shite. Kelly, Cornelius, Slattery, Woolery and Van Veen can all be very decent players at this level while most of the rest are at least serviceable. Amaluzor is one of many fast but shite wingers we've had, Goss offers nothing apart from the odd decent delivery and Efford just looks plain shite - all 3 should be first out the door in the summer.

Alexander is going nowhere which we need to accept but I hope when the club meet to discuss this season / plan next season someone gets him fucking telt. I have no idea how we went through 2021 being one of the form teams after Alexander arrived to now being far and away the worst with literally no in between. Alexander's tombola team selections have undoubtedly played a part but, even still, the drop off has been alarming and next season could be horrific unless something changes.