Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, Desp said:

When Tierney came on for Sheilds, it was a 4-4-2 Diamond formation.  Tierney in the no.10, Maguire holding and Donnelly/Goss at either side.  Roberts was up with KVV.

When Shaw/Slattery came on, it ended up being 5-3-1 with Maguire going into the middle of three centre halves, Slattery/Shaw/Goss in the middle and KVV up front himself.

Semantics maybe, but looked more of a 4-3-1-2 to me. Our strikers got a lot more central and Tierney was allowed to be a lot more floaty.

Understand why Tierney came off and agree it was the right call, but felt for the boy. Can only remember him touching the ball once when he was on the park, never really got a chance to do anything.

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

When Tierney came on for Sheilds, it was a 4-4-2 Diamond formation.  Tierney in the no.10, Maguire holding and Donnelly/Goss at either side.  Roberts was up with KVV.

When Shaw/Slattery came on, it ended up being 5-3-1 with Maguire going into the middle of three centre halves, Slattery/Shaw/Goss in the middle and KVV up front himself.

I never noticed Maguire dropping back, I guess the debate would have been about bringing Ojala cold into the game for these final minutes or using someone that was up to speed.  It is good that GA has trust in Maguire.

20 minutes ago, ropy said:

I never noticed Maguire dropping back, I guess the debate would have been about bringing Ojala cold into the game for these final minutes or using someone that was up to speed.  It is good that GA has trust in Maguire.

He put in an absolutely sensational, Stephen Craigan-esque, all-or-nothing tackle late on at the East Stand side.  Think it was on the boy Mitchell.  

You've got to love a slide tackle that makes the full stand roar with approval! 

35 minutes ago, Desp said:

He put in an absolutely sensational, Stephen Craigan-esque, all-or-nothing tackle late on at the East Stand side.  Think it was on the boy Mitchell.  

You've got to love a slide tackle that makes the full stand roar with approval! 

Timely post on Twitter.

I love celebrating those type of tackles - love to the see the attacker in a heap without it being a foul. Only enhanced when they roll around and get up on the verge of tears (which to be fair to Mitchell, he didn't)

24 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

We’re we not linked with Doidge a while back - perhaps the year we signed Nadir?

There's chat in this thread from around June 2019 along the lines of "is Forest Green Rovers' Christian Doidge someone we'd look at?" but I don't think there was ever any solid link.

On 10/06/2019 at 16:21, RandomGuy. said:

Christian Doidge of Forest Green has been targeted by a "number of teams" in our league, first thought was you lot using some Turnbull money on him.

Actually, it turns out I mentioned him in a big daft post in January 2018 as well...when we signed Nadz.

On 04/01/2018 at 16:36, capt_oats said:

He's had 3 loan stints and all of them have been disasters. The Celtic move seems to have utterly and unequivocally fucked him;

• Eskisehirspor - 12 games 4 goals
  • Pogon Szczecin - 10 games 0 goals
  • Plymouth Argyle - 7 games 0 goals

On top of his record at Celtic of 26 games 4 goals and the general 'flop' tag he has there.

Having said that. You look at his record at United; 17 in 40 and 16 in 42 not to mention his general style of play when he's 'on it' and it's difficult not to feel like he could slot in to the role Moult's left. Especially if he's told he'll be playing every week, which hasn't happened at Argyle. He's someone we've shown concrete interest in before and who has shown he's capable of scoring goals in the Premiership as well as having the sort of creativity we've been lacking up front for ages.

Adams has all but said he'd happily bin him but Celtic won't take him back so it's a case of the player sitting around down there unless another club is willing to take him and his agent is apparently "on the case". I know Adams is hardly known for his social skills but it's a pretty weird situation tbh given you have 2 clubs who are publicly saying they don't want the player.

Ultimately there was always going to be some sort of pushback from fans whoever came in after Moult left. It's understandable to a point but we're clearly not going to be signing an in form player who's got a barrel-load of goals to his name just now because, they'll cost a lot of money. As an example Christian Doidge who's at Forest Green Rovers where we signed Frear from this time last year has 15 goals in 31 games this season, FGR are bottom of League 2 and heading for relegation but the fee being mentioned for him is £1m.

IMO our best shot of getting a player with a track record of scoring goals will be on a free in the summer. In January I'd say we're looking at players who are out of contract in the summer and/or have been marginalised and are on the fringes at their current clubs. Main pretty much falls into that category and as others have said it seems to be his off the ball attributes that have been appealing. As far as I can see he's never been in double figures in a season, even Bowman had that to point to when he signed.

19 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Caught a bit of Super Scoreboard on Saturday and there was very brief chat on there about Dundee potentially being in for Doidge.

Would like to think if there was anything in it, we would be able to usurp them if any move was possible.

I suppose the obvious point is that given we are currently 2 points and one league place ahead of Hibs whereas Dundee are very much not it means that it's not really in Hibs interests to help us out by handing over a centre forward who's scored 13 and 19 goals in his previous two season with them.

36 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

I’m getting mixed up.  Who was the guy we missed out on (so the story goes) on Deadline Day ™️ a couple of years back - we were playing up at Aberdeen I think?  I had it in my head that was Doidge but clearly not.

It was the boy from Bradford. McCall confirmed after the window shut that a deal had fallen through (he was managing Bradford at the time).

Shay McCartan.

It was Hibs we were playing at Easter Road (lost 2-1).

All the chat was on this thread here (page 225).

Edited by capt_oats

I find it strange all these rumours of Bevis leaving to go to Hearts or Aberdeen or anyone in this league tbqh. 

What is his contract situation ? I assume out of contract in the summer as otherwise it would need to be a decent wedge. 

The transformation in him since Alexander arrived has been quite something. To the point that he has imho performed better at right back than our International right back and has been very solid at CB. 

I would be surprised if it came to pass but who knows 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, ropy said:

I hadn’t even noticed that Grimshaw had dropped out of the match day squad.  May his time be up?

I had. I don’t think we would stand in his way if he could find another club this window.

Bit of a cult hero but being honest I only ever thought he had a handful of standout good games. One of those being the 3-0 cup semi win over Aberdeen. 

Mad to think he 1st played for us in the 2015-16 season.