Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, dezz said:

I'm guessing Big Vic joining means that Bevis is going to be out longer term, and Grimshaw is well out the picture for right back. Hopefully the guy can come in and do a job until the end of the season. At least Grezza knows what he's getting with him.

That was my initial thought (after I'd stopped laughing at how wildly left field a signing it is, even allowing for Alexander having worked with him before and him having been in on trial).

18 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Red neck if he sidelines our international captain.

Let's be honest however, since Paterson got to the Premiership for £11m there's no way he won't start in dark blue for now on.

I thought he was playing for the U23s

Looks decent enough in the highlights reel, and with Alexander having previously worked with him, he must think he has enough about him to suggest he can cut it at this level. Granted he's now 30 and his previous few years have been spent a few rungs down the footballing ladder, but he seems like a possibly cheap option who could come in and 'do a job' to get us by whilst our first choice defenders are crocked. 

Also, as @YassinMoutaouakil points out, he's described in the announcent as a right sided centre back/right back who can also fill in in midfield, but he pops up all over the park across those highlights. We've had our fair share of utility/versatile players with varying degrees of success, but will be a genuine first if he can play anywhere across the entire 11.

Just now, ropy said:

I thought he was playing for the U23s

He started 8 games and came off the bench in 7 last season and there was a clamour for him to start ahead of SOD, lead by the OF press. With a tasty transfer under his belt anyone think he's anything other than a shoe in now? Jesus, McLaughlin gets picked ahead of Zander and Kelly despite warming the bench in perpetuity at Ibrox.

As an aside, anyone know if the 5-10 ticket books are available, not seen it promoted when it usually would be. Not much on half season tickets either when it was a big thing in the run up to Christmas.

A bit more chat from Alexander re: transfers and Big Vic.

""Alexander said: “He gives us competition for places and he’s now going to try and earn a longer-term contract from us so he’s motivated.

"He’s 30 years old and this was a no-brainer for us because he impressed everyone at training.

“There are a couple of other additions we hope to make after assessing the squad over the last week or so and the issues we’ve had all season. We need more defensive options and, possibly, a forward.

"He’s a French player I had at Fleetwood back in the day. He’s been around a bit since then, he’s just come back from Malaysia and we’ve signed him on a short-term deal.

“Victor has good energy and he’s adaptable – he can play in a few positions. He’s a great character and he contacted us when he came back to the UK, I invited him up for training and we liked what we saw.

“In Malaysia he was used up front but I see him more as a defender, either as a right-back or a right-sided centre-half or even right midfield."

Link

A bit more chat from Alexander re: transfers and Big Vic.
""Alexander said: “He gives us competition for places and he’s now going to try and earn a longer-term contract from us so he’s motivated.
"He’s 30 years old and this was a no-brainer for us because he impressed everyone at training.
“There are a couple of other additions we hope to make after assessing the squad over the last week or so and the issues we’ve had all season. We need more defensive options and, possibly, a forward.
"He’s a French player I had at Fleetwood back in the day. He’s been around a bit since then, he’s just come back from Malaysia and we’ve signed him on a short-term deal.
“Victor has good energy and he’s adaptable – he can play in a few positions. He’s a great character and he contacted us when he came back to the UK, I invited him up for training and we liked what we saw.
“In Malaysia he was used up front but I see him more as a defender, either as a right-back or a right-sided centre-half or even right midfield."
Link
A defender that plays up front?

Anywhere across the front 11 then.

15 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I’ve just been made aware this is a thing. I think some boys on here will may be inclined to start a petition for inclusion in match day pie stalls. 

B1873FEE-0D86-4053-B72E-986E49C2992A.thumb.jpeg.784f69a3545067f00c5d0da134269ec2.jpeg

I'd settle for getting through the queue in under 25 minutes tbh.

Sensational.  He's basically just a ringer that you bring along when you're on short for 7-a-sides on a Wednesday night.

"Where do you want me to play?"

"Anywhere you like, pal. Just run aboot."

30 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Anyone know if the new guy has a work permit yet and will be available for tonight?

The write up from Michael Gannon in the Record says:

"The 30-year-old – who can play across the back or even up front – could be in contention to face Hibs tonight but the ball is in his court to stay in Scotland."

Link

It's not the most reliable of sources but that 2nd video I posted yesterday suggests that he holds a work permit.

It was published by whatever agency it is on 5th October 2021.

923845083_ScreenShot2022-01-26at11_46_08.thumb.png.1fec18cbfddcd8a47550f72d11c77f9d.png

I'd have thought if it was subject to a work permit being granted it'd have mentioned in the news story when he was announced yesterday.