Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Anyone who says Watt's departure isn't a sair yin is having themselves on. He's been excellent for us, and has enjoyed the most consistent form of his career whilst here. His goals and workrate are a large part of why we currently occupy our lofty league position.

However, our bearded Dutch God, flanked by 2 of Shields/Woolery/Roberts will still cause most defences in the league problems. And I wouldn't be fooled by Alexander in his presser. This has been the obvious outcome for a long time now, so I'd wager good money that a replacement will arrive before the end of the month.

It's a good opportunity for Shields to try and push on and stake his claim for a regular start. I've said it on here before, he has all the raw attributes and I think GA could mould him into a very serviceable player at this level.

38 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

However, our bearded Dutch God, flanked by 2 of Shields/Woolery/Roberts will still cause most defences in the league problems. And I wouldn't be fooled by Alexander in his presser. This has been the obvious outcome for a long time now, so I'd wager good money that a replacement will arrive before the end of the month.

Tbh, I think @Desp called it right earlier on in the thread.

It's semantics but Alexander's point was "We are not looking for a direct replacement for Tony". I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in another forward but I'd say there's more chance of it being 'across the front 3' type.

Edited by capt_oats

57 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I think @Desp called it right earlier on in the thread.

It's semantics but Alexander's point was "We are not looking for a direct replacement for Tony". I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in another forward but I'd say there's more chance of it being 'across the front 3' type.

Yes the “direct replacement “ was key. I’d be amazed if another forward does not come in.

7 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Yes the “direct replacement “ was key. I’d be amazed if another forward does not come in.

Yeah. It's a question of how much weight you put in what he says publicly but his whole spiel was interesting:

"We're always looking, we haven't stopped looking. I know the window goes from there to there but in between there's a lot of work, a lot of analysis on players. We always understand that we can't be over reliant on any individual so we've always got counter targets for any upcoming issues or players leaving or players coming. So, for us, we feel we have to just constantly try to improve.

So even if we're not looking at a position but someone comes along we feel can improve us as a club and as a team then we look to do something.

That will continue to be the case. We don't go from one window to the next with different plans. We try to have a consistency in our work that we've always got players targeted and identified that we can hopefully bring in when the time is right.

Sometimes it's now, sometimes it'll be the summer. That's how we'll continue to work but we feel the additions we've made are good and if there's anyone out there that we feel can improve us again then we'll try to do something."

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I don't know - but I want to thank whoever on this thread (@well fan for life?) recommended El Yucateco Jalapeño hot sauce a couple of weeks back - just had some and it's fucking sensational. I think that's me off the Cholula for a while.

I've skelped through 2 bottles of it in the last 6 weeks. It's like the essence of cinema nacho jalapeño and I cannot get enough.

3 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I've skelped through 2 bottles of it in the last 6 weeks. It's like the essence of cinema nacho jalapeño and I cannot get enough.

II bought the mad habenero one at the same time - might take me a while to pluck up the courage for that one though :)

13 hours ago, Yorky said:

GA has also said that Tierney may be used as an option upfront, so TW's replacement might already be with us.

Not directly related to Motherwell but I see there's rumours that Cagliari are looking to loan Lewis Ferguson from Aberdeen with a view to buying him for £3.5 million in the summer.

Loaning out our best players to bigger teams/leagues is a model we should have adopted years ago IMO.

55 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Not directly related to Motherwell but I see there's rumours that Cagliari are looking to loan Lewis Ferguson from Aberdeen with a view to buying him for £3.5 million in the summer.

Loaning out our best players to bigger teams/leagues is a model we should have adopted years ago IMO.

Do you have a club/loan fee in mind?