Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

United chucking 6 figures at them for Watt, when they literally get him for nothing in ~5 months, while comfortably sitting mid-table and clearly won't be finishing top 3, is a bit mental to me. 

No really. We’re in free fall with a load of ineffective/injured forwards. Shankland is in joint third place for goals this season and he left in August. Not convinced Watt will be a runway success for us, his form this season seems to be an outlier, but if we saw out the rest of the season with the current strike force we’d be in a relegation scrap no doubt.

I have no problems that he is looking after himself financially at this stage of his career, or with any contribution he made on the pitch, but when he is going to a direct rival, you can hardly say he goes with my best wishes. I hope he has a similar impact that to the one Nick Blackman had when he chose Aberdeen on loan instead of us in the second half of the season.

In terms of what it means for our season - I'm not that worried. I would obviously rather have kept him but thinking about it, he's never really played well at the same time as Van Veen, it tends to be one or the other. Also, if you look at his goalscoring this season in the context of his career, it surely has to be defined as a purple patch and finally, I struggle to think of us losing many players to such direct rivals and them continuing to do well.

That said, as much as I'm happy for Shields and Roberts to stake a claim, I still do think we are now one body light in there. I assume Amaluzor's not up to it or we'd have seen more of him by now.

14 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

if we saw out the rest of the season with the current strike force we’d be in a relegation scrap no doubt.

Nah this is pish, tbh, you're literally about 6pts away from being safe. There's no chance all 5 sides below you can get above 30pts.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah this is pish, tbh, you're literally about 6pts away from being safe. There's no chance all 5 sides below you can get above 30pts.

Maybe the pessimist in me but we’re nine clear of Dundee and still to play them at least twice and have already lost to you guys who have since seemingly strengthened with a couple of potentially useful signings. One win in ten and even that was fortuitous in bizarre circumstances. Genuinely struggling to see where our next won comes from, trajectory was definitely downwards. Bottom spot might be a stretch but that play off place doesn't feel all that remote with 18 games still to play.

Best move for both parties getting business done now. Things could have turned sour very quickly if Watt stayed around.

I won't be massively surprised if Tony goes to Utd and ends up losing form. Strange move but it's all about the $ in the short-term.

I would like someone in given KVV's injury/suspension record, not really convinced KVV and Shields is adequate in that position. Bit surprised on GA's comments

5 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

£110k was the fee agreed. Probably hacks supporters of both teams off.

Eta - £75k up front with the remainder based on reaching a set number of goals during the remainder of the season.

giphy.gif

37 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

£110k was the fee agreed. Probably hacks supporters of both teams off.

Eta - £75k up front with the remainder based on reaching a set number of goals during the remainder of the season.

Obviously my preferred scenario was never going to happen but that’s piss poor negotiating from us if true.

7 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Obviously my preferred scenario was never going to happen but that’s piss poor negotiating from us if true.

Is it?

We've got f**k all to bargain with here, other than telling United to bolt, which probably does us little in the way of favours anyway.

I'm somewhere in between, they are after the leagues top scorer, never mind our top scorer which is where we do have something to go back with. We then lose out on the player wanting to get it over the line and trying to avoid upsetting the apple cart in our changing room too much.

An additional 35k based on goals scored for a direct rival seems unlikely and absolutely no benefit to us, that 35k could ultimately cost us 80k in 5 months time however I have no idea how these negotiations work.

I’d say we have quite a lot to bargain with. They want our top goal scorer and arguably most influential player 5 months early, so pay us what we determine to be reasonable and then a wee bit more for our inconvenience. 
Or we tell them to get fucked and we're left with no money and a player on the wage bill for the next 5 months despite him not wanting to be here.