Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

According to Ian McCall as many as 8 or 9 clubs could be watching Zak Rudden this evening. Whether that is BS or not who knows. As for the calibre of these clubs and what they can offer 🤷‍♂️. But he certainly seems to be in demand. 

I will take in the Thistle v Killie game tonight to see how he gets on. 

Edited by welldaft

Like a lot of 'Well fans I'd be happy with Robert's return. Through no fault of his he ain't had much of a chance to break into the Woolery- Van Veen-Watt monopoly.

With TW increasingly looking like he'll be off this month we may now see Robert's as a starter.

Also his form with us last season was good and I believe we would have ended up in the top 6 if he hadn't suffered his injury.

9 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Like a lot of 'Well fans I'd be happy with Robert's return. Through no fault of his he ain't had much of a chance to break into the Woolery- Van Veen-Watt monopoly.

With TW increasingly looking like he'll be off this month we may now see Robert's as a starter.

Also his form with us last season was good and I believe we would have ended up in the top 6 if he hadn't suffered his injury.

Would agree with that. He's quick, direct and seemed to win more than his fair share in the air as well. Happy to take, particularly if Hearts are paying part of the wage.

3 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I spent 30 seconds or so trying to work out who the hell Robert was after glancing at Marinello’s post. I could only think of Bob McHugh. My brain hasn’t adjusted to a full week or work yet.

Me and grammar. Whit am ah like🙃

With Roberts I'd say that the fact we never actually announced he'd returned to Hearts despite his loan being up was as much a giveaway as any that we were expecting him back.

Like most I'm absolutely fine with him coming back, even more so if Hearts have paid up/are paying the bulk of his contract.

As I said the other day he's good back-up for Woolery/Watt and has enough about him to start if we need. Given he can only play for us or Hearts (unless he's offered a deal on a different calendar) I'd say we're probably the better bet of the two if he's wanting some sort of game time.

To add...

Edited by capt_oats

Happy enough with Roberts. He's probably not a guaranteed starter but he's more than decent backup for this level.

I'd much rather Roberts coming off the bench than Seedorf / Hastie / Manzinga / Competition Winner / any other dross winger we've had in recent years.

27 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Did anyone else get an email from the club announcing Roberts on a permanent deal? That’s a new one for me.

Yep. I wonder what mailing list that is? I'm not a season ticket holder (what with living in a faraway island paradise these days) and it doesn't look like the 'Well Society. I guess that'll teach me to buy stuff from the club shop online. 😉

Happy with that. Roberts is about as low risk a signing a club like ours is ever going to get in the January window.
A guy who’s been in the building for a year, we know he can do a capable job, and after a consistent run in the team last year before his injury he looked pretty handy.
With Utd selling Kerr and Roberts signing permanently I’m guessing Tony will be on his way before the end of the month. If that’s the case I’d still like to see is bring in a central striker as back up to KVV.

I assume the negotiation with Hearts resulted in some compensation for Roberts and we can pay him Motherwell level wages and not whatever Hearts were throwing at him.

in saying that, I was happy to see him back in the summer and the fact that he has not featured as often is partly as a result of us doing well.

Yep. I wonder what mailing list that is? I'm not a season ticket holder (what with living in a faraway island paradise these days) and it doesn't look like the 'Well Society. I guess that'll teach me to buy stuff from the club shop online. [emoji6]

I wonder if Craig Brown is tech savvy enough to read his emails?

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

Did anyone else get an email from the club announcing Roberts on a permanent deal? That’s a new one for me.

I got one. Like @Doctor Manhattan I'm not a ST holder. I'd guess it's the general club mailing list. Like, anyone who has bought a ticket, done a survey etc.

As a separate point I got a WS mailer through as well.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd guess it's the general club mailing list. Like, anyone who has bought a ticket, done a survey etc.

Ah, that may well be it. Hospitality packages for the 2017 cup semi the likely culprit.

A weekend which also saw us take in a Jerry Sadowitz show in Glasgow and get in a fight on the train on the way home afterwards. Happy fucking days!