Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I must say I am enjoying all the speculation around the team just now. Good to be a Well fan just now. TW news a bit disappointing but I think GA is moulding a not bad team that will at least last a few seasons and who knows what could happen with the team being settled. Cant wait to see the new guys in action

8 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

The lesson, as always, is to not get married and/or have kids.

Sadly it’s a funeral of an in-law.  But I missed many a Motherwell game transporting the kids to dancing and swimming lessons. These negative consequences of child birth should be better explained in the antenatal classes or preferably before.

5 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I see the BBC gossip column this morning has Dundee United launching a six-figure sum bid for Watt once they sell that boy to Aston Villa. Hardly suprising. I would quite like to see him go in this window, I think it's for the best.

I still think there is value in keeping Tony, many players have successfully completed a contract after agreeing to move on.  Does Tony have the mentality to do that?  Ross County away on a midweek night may be the very opportunity for GA to test his commitment.

At the very least I would string United along, cup tie Watt (as I have said before) and wait till the 31st, this may force United to pay over the odds (in their view) or have a gap in their squad if they don’t get their man.

Selling him in the next week seems very soft to me.

I think a lot will come down to whether Watt has serious aspirations of breaking into the national team. When Gallagher downed tools he was the club captain and a starter for Scotland, from the outside it looked like he saw himself as too big a fish for us but by spitting the dummy he lost his place in the team and blew his chance of representing his country at a major tournament. I understand how a player signing a pre-contract with a direct rival may result in the player trying a bit less, but given the only way that Tony is going to force himself into Clarke's reckoning this season (which you'd think he'd need to do if he's got a chance of Qatar this year) is by A) continuing to score goals, and B) showing he's committed and not the petulant and disrupting influence that a lot of people label him as.

30 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Take £250k for Watt and send him on his way.

I'd be surprised if he scored another 5 goals this season (whether that's with us or Dundee United).

Shush 🤫 

Of course he will. He will at least double his tally……for any United fan reading…..

In all honesty none of us would have liked to lose Tony. We would have been delighted had he signed a new deal. Delighted. The fact he has signed a pre contract with a rival knocks everything on the head. 

Said it before and will say it again. £200-250k would be acceptable. Anything less and he is better staying with us whether he plays many games or not. I have a feeling he will start v Ross County if he has not left beforehand, simply because he is one of our best players and to show United we will happily play him. 

The ball is in United court pardon the pun. They meet our (assume realistic) asking price or he stays till the end of the season. I do agree it possibly would be better if he left but quite sure some boos will become less and less if he continues to perform and scores goals for us. 

I’ve seen nothing from his time with us to question his professionalism. While many downed tools last season he still grafted and was noticeably the standout evident by his MotM wins and PofY. Add in personal pride in breaking the 20 goal tally, scoring bonus’ (as money seems to be a primary motivator now) and the cusp of a Scotland call up.

All these mean I have no fear his retention would be positive for us despite the naesayers who seem more motivated by the perceived snub and that fuelling hope/expectation that he’s turned into a useless bum.

26 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Seems that we (Motherwell) were one of the clubs against the five subs change.

Is this only for this season, or while Covid is a thing, or forever?

I got used to the 5 subs then but remember the arguments about the bigger clubs bringing on more internationalists as the smaller clubs dipped into their U18 pool.  The 3 opportunities (plus half time) to make a change does keep a bit of a lid on things and the concussion rule hasn’t been overly utilised. Let’s see how it goes.

I always wonder how much £100k is actually worth to us. From the outside, it doesn't seem that much, given the "better" prospects in this league rarely go for less than a million these days, which we've personally seen with Turnbull and Scott. With that in mind, it doesn't really feel worth losing our best player 6 months early for a fraction of those sums.

I suppose £100k= 2k a week ish, which is essentially equivalent to a decent signing for us. I know it doesn't exactly work like this and there'll be other uses for the money etc, but £200k for Watt would probably be enough to pay a transfer fee for someone like Rudden as well as his first year of wages, right? 

51 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I always wonder how much £100k is actually worth to us. From the outside, it doesn't seem that much, given the "better" prospects in this league rarely go for less than a million these days, which we've personally seen with Turnbull and Scott. With that in mind, it doesn't really feel worth losing our best player 6 months early for a fraction of those sums.

I suppose £100k= 2k a week ish, which is essentially equivalent to a decent signing for us. I know it doesn't exactly work like this and there'll be other uses for the money etc, but £200k for Watt would probably be enough to pay a transfer fee for someone like Rudden as well as his first year of wages, right? 

Bang on the money. I doubt we would be putting a fee in front of United that would be entirely unrealistic. 

I understand that United would want him (assuming they do) for as little as possible. I know it does not work like this, but they should look inwards and ask how much they would have been looking for one of their best players or a Shankland to leave to a rival for half a season give or take. I am quite sure it would not be less than £200k. 

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I quite like the 5 subs thing. I just feel you can give a run out to fringe players who need minutes and preferably some youngsters for the last ten minutes if the games done.

I think we need to look on it as a positive as honestly, I'd imagine we've got a bigger "senior" squad than a lot of our peer clubs, even if it does give the biggest clubs an advantage. If I was being idealistic, it would be a great thing if we earmarked a certain number of places for young players but as the reserves don't meaningfully exist at the moment, that feels a bit moot.

12 hours ago, ropy said:

Sadly it’s a funeral of an in-law.  But I missed many a Motherwell game transporting the kids to dancing and swimming lessons. These negative consequences of child birth should be better explained in the antenatal classes or preferably before.

Lol...

On a serious note, sorry to hear about the in-law.

This was tagged on at the end of Burns' 'to the surprise of absolutely no one' bit about Roberts.

Basically we're indicating to Thistle that we'd like to speak to Rudden about a PCA as a general courtesy.

There's no suggestion that it's with a view to him signing this window, just PCA chat.

Tbh, that would make sense - we PCA him and pay the (presumably nominal) comp for him in the summer or alternatively I guess we could go the Livi route and advance that compensation now to make it permanent but loan him back to Thistle until the summer.

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

This was tagged on at the end of Burns' 'to the surprise of absolutely no one' bit about Roberts.

Basically we're indicating to Thistle that we'd like to speak to Rudden about a PCA as a general courtesy.

There's no suggestion that it's with a view to him signing this window, just PCA chat.

Tbh, that would make sense - we PCA him and pay the (presumably nominal) comp for him in the summer or alternatively I guess we could go the Livi route and advance that compensation now to make it permanent but loan him back to Thistle until the summer.

I believe that scenario is now officially known as "Sending him to Newcastle"