Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Yes - yes it was. I officially have no memory of Grabban playing for us.

If I remember rightly he never started for us, just got the odd 5 mins here and there off the bench...maybe 4 or 5 times.

25 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Wait we had Clarkson, McCormack, Porter and Grabban all at the same time?

Also Jamie Murphy made his dabut the season before, in 06/07. The fact that Jamie Murphy and Phil O'Donnell played in the same Motherwell team always really messes with my memory timeline.... I'd have put good money on there being years between them.

Edited by Al B

Take it Scott Fox has been warming the bench all season? Possible loan to ourselves been mentioned. Would be first choice as Paddy Martin has flattered to deceive also Robbie Mutch is injured and Luke Holt is either covid related or pissed off like his Dad.

1 minute ago, gav-ffc said:

Take it Scott Fox has been warming the bench all season? Possible loan to ourselves been mentioned. Would be first choice as Paddy Martin has flattered to deceive also Robbie Mutch is injured and Luke Holt is either covid related or pissed off like his Dad.

PJ could move up a place for us but we would need a third choice, do we have one?

25 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

He was brought in as cover for Carson last season but picked up an injury the ruled him out for the season on pretty much the first day of pre-season and aye, he's been back up to Kelly all season.

The only football he's actually played was that emergency loan to Morton at the end of last season.

He played with Miller at Thistle so if he's wanting games it wouldn't be a massive surprise and I don't think we'd stand in his way. I'd imagine he could still keep his GK school thing going if he wanted.

I know there is probably chat elsewhere and I will probably go read it after this post but what's the thoughts/chances we return to the terraces?

I wouldn't mind it with 3/4K spaced out again. If that's what it took.

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I know there is probably chat elsewhere and I will probably go read it after this post but what's the thoughts/chances we return to the terraces?

If this was a year ago and daily positives results recorded then I have no doubt we'd be under a pretty tight set of restrictions, no questions asked and only minor dissent. As it stands a lot of water has passed under the bridge with apathy, rules fatigue, rules confusion, a feeling of just wanting to get on with life and live with this and seeing the everyone is equal but some are more equal than others exhibited by Boris and the Tory hierarchy.

The NHS being overwhelmed will be the stick, no more carrots left to offer.

Best be prepared for the inevitable lead balloon.

If any of you may have missed the post I made in the Tinpot page, here is our illustrious cup winning captain going full tinfoil helmet in the "on brand" historical grievance/victims/oppression rant. (4 mins in).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK7IKO5ekzo&t=240s

I can't think of someone at many other clubs who had such success now reviled as much as Tom is now with us.

58 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

If any of you may have missed the post I made in the Tinpot page, here is our illustrious cup winning captain going full tinfoil helmet in the "on brand" historical grievance/victims/oppression rant. (4 mins in).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK7IKO5ekzo&t=240s

I can't think of someone at many other clubs who had such success now reviled as much as Tom is now with us.

That entire video is fucking window licking mental. Tom Boyd taking part in it is maybe the least surprising thing to happen. 

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Not based on anything in particular, I'm weirdly optimistic that we'll be allowed back in more or less normal numbers next week.  I think the 500 limit was a knee-jerk and an entirely arbitrary number, so at the very least, they will have a chance to do something with a bit more thought around it (eg, 50% capacity of a given venue).

The main negative factor is that "football" decisions are really "Rangers and Celtic" decisions because it will be those clubs that the Govt think about when coming up with new rules, not smaller clubs and the numbers of people that move around to get to Ibrox and Parkhead make more of an impact generally.

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

Not based on anything in particular, I'm weirdly optimistic that we'll be allowed back in more or less normal numbers next week.  I think the 500 limit was a knee-jerk and an entirely arbitrary number, so at the very least, they will have a chance to do something with a bit more thought around it (eg, 50% capacity of a given venue).

The main negative factor is that "football" decisions are really "Rangers and Celtic" decisions because it will be those clubs that the Govt think about when coming up with new rules, not smaller clubs and the numbers of people that move around to get to Ibrox and Parkhead make more of an impact generally.

The facts are that there is official data readily available to show that rates of infection per 100,000 have been higher in Scotland than in England. Not saying every day but certainly on some of the past few days. 

Showing clearly that the additional restrictions have not necessarily had the desired effect. To make it clear I was 50/50 on whether they were necessary, so not a criticism just my own view. In fact at the time I could fully understand. 

My concern is that to go back to full crowds would almost be an admission that Scot Gov possibly got it wrong. Not something they care to do often if ever. I think the backlash at staying at 500 would be enormous. More than before from all quarters. Fans and owners. So I expect some kind of half way house. Should never have been 500. It was a ridiculous decision based on no facts whatsoever. Should have been a % of capacity. 10 or 20% as an example. Edit to add - exactly as Swello mentions above 😉

So far missing a home Livi game will not have cost us too much. But to miss a home league game v Hibs and a Home cup tie v Morton. Suddenly the club would be looking at losing a significant amount 😫

I believe we will hear tomorrow judging by the press articles I have read this morning. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by welldaft

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1111123075?-1321:810

Hopefully link works to Herald article. 

Essentially Alexander talking in more depth around Watts pre contract deal with United. 

Again he comes across very well.  Apparently Watt did tell him before anyone else knew. So kudos on him for that. 

Also quite clear that if Watt stays he will have no problem playing him as long as he applies himself. Good message to get across to United who had probably hoped (or the agent) leaking the news to the Courier would lead to us caving in over any derisory offer. 

Playing away to Ross C may not have a big impact or if we stick with 500. Interesting to see what reception he would get next two home games. I am not happy he has done what he has done. But fully understand why he would sign a more lucrative contract at this stage in his career. Just a shame it is to a rival. I would not boo him not any Motherwell player for that matter. But it certainly would be difficult not to have different view of his contributions going forward. 

Edited by welldaft

*whispers so as not to attract attention from the coronavirus thread*

500 was always a fucking silly line to draw in the sand. Alexander said it himself that 500 in Fir Park is a very different thing to 500 in Parkhead/Ibrox. Realistically you could space out all the season ticket holders I suppose. I've held off buying a Morton ticket because who knows what's happening. I don't know if I can face watching that particular fixture on a stream again. 

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm maybe being a bit naïve, but IMO footballers- and people in general- want to be liked. I wouldn't be surprised if Watt's motivated enough to want to leave on good terms at the end of the season.

Regardless of how cynical footballers are and no matter how much it's all about the money - it must be some comedown for Watt going from a fan's favourite with your name getting sung every week to getting booed as you warmed up as an unused sub a week later. 

21 minutes ago, Swello said:

Regardless of how cynical footballers are and no matter how much it's all about the money - it must be some comedown for Watt going from a fan's favourite with your name getting sung every week to getting booed as you warmed up as an unused sub a week later. 

Absolutely, and I'm concerned it'll take that extra spark out of his performance that took him from the level of performance he's had elsewhere to what he's given us until now.   

If that's gone, he might as well sod off.   If he's got the strength of character to bull through that then I'll absolutely want him to stay to the end of the season.