Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, ropy said:

The deal is only to the end of the season, looks like Thistle are just picking up the remainder of his contract.  Was it Foley we did this with last year?  While I am on Foley I have already forgotten the name of the guy we signed and never played last January.

A guy I work with ended up making small talk with Sam Foley at a kids birthday party last year. Apparently he's a sound enough guy. 

I said it before but Crawford was the ultimate nearly player. Nearly make a pass. Nearly win a tackle. Nearly make an interception. Glad he's gone and there's no reality in which I need to watch him in a Motherwell shirt ever again. 

From a friend…..

Amaluzor next out the door,
Watt is cash only,
Cornelius is close to a loan deal now shaw is in,
Roberts back to hearts

And to keep an eye out for more Irish players.

He stays near fir park and stalks the place, he’s had a few right before…. To be fair the top 4 are pretty obvious

10 minutes ago, steelmen said:

From a friend…..

Watt is cash only,
Roberts back to hearts

He stays near fir park and stalks the place, he’s had a few right before…. To be fair the top 4 are pretty obvious

pretty obvious? 

49 minutes ago, steelmen said:

From a friend…..

Watt is cash only,
Roberts back to hearts

We aren't going to get rid of Amaluzor, Watt and Roberts without bringing in at least another 2 forwards. So it seems like a lot of pish.

Even if Roberts is leaving I think we would be looking to add a forward and not getting rid. Amaluzor is a about the level of a back up forward and he hasn't been that bad when he has been given a run out.

And I highly doubt we would move out Cornelius to bring in Shaw. That would be really stupid.

29 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

We aren't going to get rid of Amaluzor, Watt and Roberts without bringing in at least another 2 forwards. So it seems like a lot of pish.

Even if Roberts is leaving I think we would be looking to add a forward and not getting rid. Amaluzor is a about the level of a back up forward and he hasn't been that bad when he has been given a run out.

And I highly doubt we would move out Cornelius to bring in Shaw. That would be really stupid.

Hasn't Roberts already gone back to Hearts?. he isn't featured on the Well first Team web page

As I said make if it as you will but I do think the top 4 make a lot of sense.

Roberts isn’t close to playing, so why keep him. In fact he might already be back at hearts

Amaluzor isn’t close to playing, and hasn’t looked good when he has played. Sure Watt leaving might increase his game time but

If we get a decent chunk of money, watt will be gone.

Cornelius, whilst a good prospect, needs minutes and the signing of Shaw and Tierney will limit that.

20 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Hasn't Roberts already gone back to Hearts?. he isn't featured on the Well first Team web page

His loan expired on January 1st. Doesn't mean he won't come back. Roberts hasn't had a lot of opportunities so if he is taking time to look at his options that is fair enough.

Hearts will also be assessing their squad. And they will be taking the opportunity to see if they want him for the rest of the season. Their forward options are also a bit limited.

2 hours ago, steelmen said:

When you say this, are you talking about bevvies and whisky chasers?

Seems complete madness for us to bring on a Celtic player while putting someone who has broken into the squad down to the lower leagues for game time. Of course we don't know if we have an option for Shaw in May as that may make it a lot more attractive but I doubt we could meet his wage demands. OTF input there is more telling here than your pal on this one.

Roberts - from when he arrived a year ago there weren't many options other than Cole and Watt upfront, until recently he was one of 4/5ish forwards so competition increased. As for the website change, as per the agreement he is away back to Hearts. By leaving him on our site beyond deal end it suggest either an extension without clarification or oversight by our awarding winning social media team which is off brand.

It's a pivotal decision for Roberts, parent club don't see him their plans, prob paying a decent wedge, he's not had a lot of game time here but with Tony offski potentially there's scope to enhance his chances of a summer deal here or elsewhere by exposure.

Amulazor - speed fiend ... not seen it, composure ... not seen it, if its known he can cut it then freeing up his wage is in everyone's interest. Early release is all down to other business in this window.

The Arabs offloading a few camels was more their wildest wishes than our realistic expectation. In print in the Daily Rag does not give it credibility.

7 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Seems complete madness for us to bring on a Celtic player while putting someone who has broken into the squad down to the lower leagues for game time.

Would you rather Cornelius played 20 games between now and May as a regular, or sat on your bench most weeks and just rotated in when necessary?

Young players need regular game time at senior level. Chucking them in every 3 weeks with the odd 20 mins dotted around doesn't help them a huge amount.

I think putting Cornelius out on loan makes a lot of sense, however many games at the top end of the championship will be more beneficial to us in the long run than being dipped in and out of the team here. Even before the Shaw signing, I don't think he would have been in anyone's first 11. Shown lots of promise so far, get regular football and push for the starting 11 next season.

Edited by Neil86

I don't really like the thought of us taking a Celtic player on loan for there to be no real chance of us making it permanent.He seems so far out their plans it looks like it's maybe in view to a move elsewhere when he can.

If he can improve us then I understand it, there will be people close to Cornelius who will know what the deal with him is.

Maybe I'm just being unbelievably naive but the fact we held off until Crawford had been announced at Thistle before announcing Shaw suggests that's the switch? I'm not sure why there would be an assumption that it impacts Cornelius.

With Crawford out and Shaw in, as far as I can see Cornelius' place in the squad hasn't really changed.

As @Busta Nut says there are people who are closer to Cornelius who will know exactly what the deal is.

To me, while I realise he's had an injury, Crawford hadn't kicked a ball for us since the Airdrie game (he had been an unused sub 10 times though, which says a lot I think).

Said it before but it felt like a few players had their cards marked after the League Cup games. *waves at Steven Lawless*.

We've had Alexander talking in the press about wanting a competitive squad and having cover for injury, suspension and the 'vid - if O'Hara's still injured then as is we've 7 players playing for 3 positions - that allows for cover and rotation IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

Graham Alexander seems quite firm with his overall approach to management and improving our team.

By that I mean if he thinks getting Shaw in from Celtic is going to help us in our battle for top 6 / Europe, more so than playing Cornelius or even Maguire he will go and do just that. And why wouldn’t he. As a fan I like Managers with a no nonsense approach. Better that than giving contract extensions out of loyalty etc. Hibs are adding quality players like they are PSG. Aberdeen will no doubt add one or two. 

Which is also why I am sure he would like Watt to move on. Watt has been great value for us, but has signed for a rival. Not a good look and what happens if we play United in the cup or his form dips. He will get little support from the fans either. The deal has to be right though and again I think Motherwell and Alexander will stand firm on this. I suspect United will need to sell before they can do a deal with us. Rumours of Kerr, Siegriest and Fuchs all attracting interest. 

You could also see an argument for Grimmy moving on if he can find a club. Infectious character but must be so far from starting 11 these days. Even at right back Bevis would be preferred and rightly so. 

Glad Crawford has left the building. Purely as again he was nowhere near the starting 11.