Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I imagine that probably those who do the anti-vaxxer stuff on social media probably will be vaccinated so they can go to Dubai or Marbs. A lot of people's strong opinions and principles only stretch as far as not getting a holiday.

Shaw looks massive in that article.

I notice that Alexander said we won't be signing Lafferty as well. That one is nipped in the bud early doors.

That's Alexander in the job a year to the day. Seems like it's been quite the news dump from his press conference.

Edited by capt_oats

I clocked in that Irish interview with Ross Tierney that [mention=26104]capt_oats[/mention] posted the other day that he mentioned there were a few players that had caught Covid. Not unsurprisingly really and if you’re going to get an outbreak, now is probably the time to do it.
Also just clocked that’s Callum Paterson in the photo beside Shaw in the DR. Paterson is fucking huge and Shaw looks just as big in that photo, could be fun watching him charge about midfield.

Quite right too.  It's everyone's choice whether to get the vaccine(s) or not, but it makes absolute business sense for a football club to steer clear of unvaccinated players.  Why would you take the risk of bringing in someone with a higher chance of catching Covid, and subsequently passing it on through the squad, which would potentially harm the results on the pitch over the following weeks?

I wonder how many of the original anti-vaxxers have sneakily headed up to their jags in recent months.  Well, maybe not so sneakily if the guy who works at one of Lanarkshire's vaccine centres keeps saying "great to meet "this player* at Ravenscraig today!" all over Twitter  :lol: 

45 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's Alexander in the job a year to the day. Seems like it's been quite the news dump from his press conference.

The whole "play games in England" thing was transparent and embarrassing enough when Rugby did it - the SPFL jumping on the bandwagon about 3 days late was the dictionary definition of Tinpot.

On Alexander's first year - I think the Board made a great appointment, full stop. He's no Tommy Wright obviously but our conscious policy of appointing managers from outwith the Scottish merry-go-round is one I like and has generally been successful. He has the right personality for the job - you can imagine that he doesn't take any shit from the players (and given that his suspension was almost as fast as KVV, he doesn't let officials get away with much either :)). 

In manager and squad, I think we've got the building blocks in place for a right good period for the club - but as ever, the biggest risk to our stability is other clubs with more money noticing that we're doing well and Alexander's win percentage and progress since he took over won't have gone unnoticed. 

14 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I wonder where we would be had we gone with Tommy Wright this time last year. Thank f**k we appointed Alexander.

Aye, I've said it on here before but when you look at the rebuild we've seen on and off the park under Alexander (we're advertising for another first team strength and conditioning coach on top of the various other new roles we've created) I genuinely find it difficult to imagine what a Tommy Wright Motherwell would even have looked like.

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I wonder where we would be had we gone with Tommy Wright this time last year. Thank f**k we appointed Alexander.

Given that Wright's entire plan was to go all in on Big Weird Kyle, as opposed to us getting a good keeper and bolstering the squad to get results I'm not sure overlooking Tommy Wright could be deemed utterly inexplicable after all. 

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I genuinely find it difficult to imagine what a Tommy Wright Motherwell would even have looked like.

St Mirren after they sign Drey Wright.

2 hours ago, Pettigrew said:

Will be interesting to see how our anti vaxxers get on with it... 

He's probably still raging about Biden's speech yesterday

29 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Probably lost to Accies on Sunday

19 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

If we are allowed, is anyone planning on making the trip up to DIngwall on the 18th?

I'm going to head up and turn the following day into work related stuff to avoid the long drive down through the night.

I bought a ticket when I thought it was going to be during the Xmas holidays - still planning to go if we are allowed.

Grezza's football hasn't always been the prettiest, but he's been a great appointment all told.

The improvement of players has been quite something. He's only been here a year, yet he has managed to get two previously unprolific strikers to their best tally independently of each other in 6 month periods.

For all those who were critical of his recruitment plan at points, we are probably as diverse as ever. This season we've now signed players from Denmark, Norway, Ireland, five different divisions in England and two in Scotland. That's ten different leagues in total - I don't think our recruitment has ever been that diverse.

The only slight blot on his copybook is the league cup, but I think the early start of the fixtures didn't tie in with our long-term recruitment plan. I'm sure we will be better in that next year with the foundations that are already in place.

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

I bought a ticket when I thought it was going to be during the Xmas holidays - still planning to go if we are allowed.

Much the same, might try and leave in plenty of time to enjoy a pint in the mallard before hand, told it's an excellent pub.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

The only slight blot on his copybook is the league cup, but I think the early start of the fixtures didn't tie in with our long-term recruitment plan. I'm sure we will be better in that next year with the foundations that are already in place.

With the cup, I can forgive that as that ended up with lawless out of the squad and club. Going forward though, I would however expect a decent run in both this seasons Scottish Cup and the following cups.